What Games Actually Pushed the 3DO to its limits?

racketboy

Established Member
I'm thinking about picking up a 3DO but am wondering what games really took advantage of the system's hardware?

What games had the best graphics, etc?

Not talking about gameplay here -- just technical stuff...

i have SANYO 3DO TRY - anyone know what TRY stands for btw? - and bunch of games mostly JPN titles... none of them look like pushing 3DO to its limit though...

I don't think the 3DO ever really got the chance to reach its full potential. One game I can think of that looks pretty nice and plays well is Total Eclipse. But honestly, I don't think a 3DO is worth it -- get a Neo Geo or a Turbo Duo if you don't have those instead.

I agree the the 3do never lived up to its potential.

Most games are from the multi-media and computer genre vein.

They do looks better than the sega-cd and turbo vversions though.

By the time that 3d games were starting to come out was the time the 3do died.

Well, if you want to know what games are the most graphical,(even to the point of slowing the 3DO down to a crawl) these are the games to look for, just dont say I didnt warn ya, some of them have abesolutely HORRID framerates, but not all of them. I will not name any of the FMV type games because even though they look the best on 3DO (and they are my favorites) they arent really 3D type of games. Most 3DO games were not 3D. Not like the PSone or anything.

Games that took most advantage of 3DO:

AD&D Death Keep (DOOM style RPG)

AutoBahn Tokio (Choppy 3D racing at its worst) lol

Blade Force (3D Helepack type game with 3D squares)

Crash N' Burn (Best racing/Destroying game on 3DO)

Demolition Man (A mixture of crap, 3D shootng, 2d fighting, etc)

Escape from Monster Manor (DOOM clone in a Haunted Mansion that resembels a maze)

Gridders (my old favorite, you move a guy around in a 3D grid with squares that movearound.)

Immercenary (IMO #1 on the 3DO, DOOM style game that is different than any other FPS game, great everything to that one, graphics are best on this game, when you shoot it even lights up the areas you shoot by and the floors.) (has a bug though that slowly corrupts the systems save games) :(

Killing Time (DOOM clone with movie actors, really neat idea on a bad console (bad console as in SLOW AS HELL,) Works the 3DO so hard it moves at like 3 Frames per Second) Migrane City!

The Need for Speed (need I say more?)

Off World Interceptor (better and faster on PSone though)

PaTaank (3D hovercraft pinball, and your the ball)

PO'ed (another horrible DOOM clone that moves slow as hell, only you can hover and fly around)

Return Fire (same game as the PSones)

Road Rash (better than the PSone in FMV but worse in Frames Per Second)

Shockwave (all 3 of them) This title was only for 3DO as far as I know and was great to play.

Star Blade - same as the arcade but with Bump Mapping!

Star Fighter - Took great advantage of 3DOs speed and 3D moving capabilities! DEATH BY STEREO!!

Stellar 7 - only if you like the Stellar PC games will ya like this one.

Total Eclipse - great 3D shooter, but was Better on PSone)

Wolfenstein 3D - Yawn , ok its just Wolfenstein 3D PC game with CD music but it runs great on 3DO! lol!

Remember just because a bunch of 3DOgames were bad dont mean I hate the system. I love the 3DO for its great games. :)

If you want I can even tell ya what games on 3DO to avoid like a plague. ;)

Back