What is your favorite console generation?

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jun 25, 2004 @ 05:10 PM

And my Nomad... oh my precious Nomad.... My most prized possesion PERIOD.

*Cradles his Nomad in his arms*

I use my Nomad as a hammer.

Oh, and a little present for Cloud -

vf4ft22.jpg

For pre-8-bit, do you mean 4-bit (earlier Ataris, SG-1000, Colecovision etc....)?

To the best of my knowledge, there weren't any "4-bit" game consoles. The Atari 2600, SG-1000, and Colecovision are all 8-bit systems. Incidentally, the number is pretty meaningless to anyone but hardware hackers and low-level programmers, and to them it's only one variable in a design. Sitting here and saying such-and-such is "8-bit" or "16-bit" or "128-bit" has nothing to do with the console's actual abilities and everything to do with marketing campaigns designed to make you think you've been given important information.

Anyway, 16-bit for me. The appeal is hard to explain, but it also has a lot to do with seeing the 32-bit generation as the point at which everything started to go wrong. Nintendo and Sega screwed up their launches (Nintendo too late, Sega too early and too expensive), and Sony took the opportunity to start cramming 3D everything down people's throats (yes, there is a handful of 2D PSX games, great ones even, but as a matter of policy Sony was pushing 3D - I think around 10% of titles in their launch year were traditional 2D style, the rest were FMV, 3D, etc). The market seems to have gradually become more controlled by the huge publishers, and now MS and - to a lesser extent - Sony seem to want to play the "it's not a game console, it's a media platform" game. Yuck. At least Nintendo seems to have figured out when to let video games be video games, even if their methods are unconventional sometimes.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jun 25, 2004 @ 05:30 PM

Oh, and a little present for Cloud -

vf4ft22.jpg

Me like! Thank you Des!

I love you! :wub:

BTW, I named one of my Sarahs in Evolution "Des-ROW". I hope you don't mind. Sarah reminds me of you. Why? I don't know...

Maybe because she kicks everyone's ass so well? Hm...

Originally posted by ExCybe+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ExCybe)</div><div class='quotemain'> To the best of my knowledge, there weren't any "4-bit" game consoles. The Atari 2600, SG-1000, and Colecovision are all 8-bit systems. Incidentally, the number is pretty meaningless to anyone but hardware hackers and low-level programmers, and to them it's only one variable in a design. Sitting here and saying such-and-such is "8-bit" or "16-bit" or "128-bit" has nothing to do with the console's actual abilities and everything to do with marketing campaigns designed to make you think you've been given important information. [/b]

Really? I could have sworn SG-1000 was considered a "4-bit" system. But you make a good point that it really doesn't matter.

<!--QuoteBegin-Cloud121

BTW, I named one of my Sarahs in Evolution "Des-ROW". I hope you don't mind. Sarah reminds me of you. Why? I don't know...[/quote]

I think we need to find Cloud a girlfrend before this gets even more out of hand. :D

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jun 25, 2004 @ 08:15 PM

Me like! Thank you Des!

I love you! :wub:

BTW, I named one of my Sarahs in Evolution "Des-ROW". I hope you don't mind. Sarah reminds me of you. Why? I don't know...

Maybe because she kicks everyone's ass so well? Hm...

*blushes*

Heh.. the thing is, even with a girlfriend, I'd probably still be nuts for Des.

About naming Sarah "Des-ROW", it was actually a temporary name, but it just stuck. I think it fits her.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jun 25, 2004 @ 12:22 AM

I use my Nomad as a hammer.

You may want to consider selling that on ebay instead... with the money you'd get for that auction you could *gasp* buy a real hammer and quite a bit of extra money left over. I've heard hammers are more effective at hammering than nomads, though I haven't personally compared them.

If you wanted you could use the left over money to buy a lower quality system to bash other stuff with... perhaps another playstation?

---Ammut

Back