What media to use or avoid when burning

Amon

Staff member
There have been a thread or two about certain types of CD media to avoid or different recommendations and I thought putting them all into one thread would be best. Hopefully there isnt already a thread like this (only went through the first 5 pages). Maybe should be pinned?

Media I/others have had problems with:

Prime recordable - Had cds die from age in less than a year

HP - saturns may have a prob with them?

imation - poor quality

maxxel - poor quality

Recommended:

Verbadim, tdk, traxdata or tayo yuden if you can afford it

Others:

I have not had a problem yet with Fujifilm.

Sony makes several different types of CD-Rs, but in my experience theirs are not the best. I have had good results with Ritek and Mitsui, but right now I pretty much just stick with Taiyo Yudens all the time. Considering you can get them for .25/disc, there is really no reason to buy crappier brands.

That sounds osrt of...japanese. Do these sell internationally? And how much for a pack of 100? That's how I usually buy mine, simply because I burn cds all the time. Goddamn I didn't get a sega cd yet...

I'd say avoid Philips media aswell (especially the RWs). For some reason in order to get Saturns to spin these you've got to turn the laser power up higher than with other brands. I tried them on 3 US model 2s just to make sure it wasn't the console that was the problem and always got the same result.

Personal favorite brand is KHypermedia. You can get a pack of 200 for real cheap (like $30 or less), and they've never given me an issue on any platform, even when burned at like 40X.

That sounds osrt of...japanese. Do these sell internationally? And how much for a pack of 100? That's how I usually buy mine, simply because I burn cds all the time. Goddamn I didn't get a sega cd yet...

Yes, you can buy them from numerous suppliers. I have gotten mine from Newegg in the past. 100 packs are about 25 bucks.

Personal favorite brand is KHypermedia. You can get a pack of 200 for real cheap (like $30 or less), and they've never given me an issue on any platform, even when burned at like 40X.

I've used these quite a bit in the past, and although I've had no burning problems and the burns tend to work great, I have found that the discs turn yellow after a couple years and start having read errors.

Hahaha. I just buy the cheapest posible. 100 in jewel cases £20 buy one get one free from makro. I just burn everything at 4X so it doesnt matter that its cheap.

I use memorex from time to time and had no problem with them but there are a lot better out there. I could just be lucky though.

Originally posted by genisus man@Wed, 2006-03-15 @ 03:54 PM

What about memorex or something?

[post=145119]Quoted post[/post]​

Their is no point naming sources like Maxell, Philips, Sony as a lot of these companies source their media from companies like CMC / Optodisc / and various others. Good media like taiyo Yuden can be branded under many different names.

I've used TDK discs from day 1 (in 2000 for me).

Not one problem with a Saturn game.

Back