What OS do you use currently

Workbench was the standard Amiga OS. The way I remember it, it pretty much invented 'windows' in OS's, but that's probably nowhere near accurate.

I had an Atari STE in those days, so I'm more of a TOS man (insert joke here).

Originally posted by Myname@Feb. 02 2003, 8:25 pm

XP Service Pack 1.. After the initial teething problems, it's been fantastic. Obviously you need to get rid of most of the crap from the get-go and disable system restore, after that it runs like a dream (well, apart from some Win95 programs anyways).

I've heard many bad things about the system restore slowing everything down. Is it possible to use it manually? Sort of like taking a snapshot of your important files before you alter something? Does disabling this directly effect the "boot to last known good settings" (or whatever it's called) feature? I ask because I use a program called WinRescue98 for Win98 that backs up system files, including the registry, when I run it. I like being able to back things up to when I know they were working.

Originally posted by Myname@Feb. 03 2003, 1:56 pm

Workbench was the standard Amiga OS. The way I remember it, it pretty much invented 'windows' in OS's, but that's probably nowhere near accurate.

Yes, Tape Operating System is possibly the computing world's most illconceived acronym.
tongue.gif

i believe you can run system restore manually and if you can't you can just turn it on whenever you need and it will image automatically then just shut it off after you run it for awhile. sorta difficult but oh well. yea and what is xandros? oh and win xp home is like ME evil evil version of Nt 5.1.

Gotta agree tha XP home is bad. It is the one version of XP I tried. Crashamatic!

Ice posted a link in another thread for Xandros I believe it's-

www.Xandros.com

I gave it a look and it seems interesting. I'm kind of surprised noone has mentioned Lindows, the linux/windows clone. The Atari OS looked interesting but i believe that Xerox gets the credit for inventing the first windows like graphic interface, along with the mouse. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
blush.gif

Originally posted by falstaff@Feb. 03 2003, 6:46 am

The Atari OS looked interesting but i believe that Xerox gets the credit for inventing the first windows like graphic interface, along with the mouse.

Yes, a man called Douglas Engelbart invented the windowed user interface, the mouse, hyperlinking, on-line help and lots of other things that are now inseparable parts of operating systems. Unfortunately for Engelbart, Xerox completely failed to commercially exploit what they had, leaving others to reimplement and reinvent many of the things he demonstrated in 1968.

Originally posted by Curtis+Feb. 02 2003, 10:58 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis @ Feb. 02 2003, 10:58 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Myname@Feb. 03 2003, 1:56 pm

Yes, Tape Operating System is possibly the computing world's most illconceived acronym.
tongue.gif
[/b][/quote]

Umm... TOS stood for Tramiel's Operating System, after Jack Tramiel, the main man at Atari who pulled the strings to make the ST/TT family of computers happen. And wouldn't you know it, he had formerly been with Commodore, who were now battling him with their Amigas.
smile.gif

On that note, Workbench isn't really the Amiga's OS - that's Kickstart, which actually sits in a 512KB ROM chip. Workbench is a disk-based collection of software that basically provides the entire GUI experience (although basic window functionality is part of Kickstart - the Amiga's core OS is completely graphical, no text or "DOS" mode). I always thought the whole system was amazingly flexible, well thought-out, efficient and FAST. My decade-old A500 still boots in 6 seconds flat to a full system.
smile.gif

I use Win ME for most things, but am now getting to grips with my Linux-Mandrake so should be leaving my Windows OS behind in the future
smile.gif

Hey Daniel - are they Divx movie clips playing in your screen shots?

Yep! As you see it plays them very well.

It is not very known, but Amiga is in buisness and they are now a company consisting of fans who want to create a good computer system.

The all new A1 was released just for some months ago, and more and more companys are porting programs and games to it.

Check:

www.amiga.org

www.amiga.com

www.hyperionentertainment.com

www.clickboom.com

http://www.analogic.co.uk/enter.html

http://www.powerc.com/cgi-bin/gp?pg=amiga.main

Oh, and dont foget demo making. One of my fav parts of the Amiga community : http://ada.planet-d.net/

Ill get myself a Voodo 5 card to my Amiga soon, then itll be playing!

Main machine: Win XP Pro

Wife's laptop: Win 98 SE

My laptop: OS X

My server: Win 2000 Server

My old machine: Win 3.1/ Dos 6.0

My backup laptop: Win 98 SE

My office computer runs OS/2. And no CD-ROM drive to install WIndows either.
sad.gif

Bloody baztahds.

it IS illegal if my company didn't buy that reg code
tongue.gif
I'd get in BIG trouble if I did that, not to mention on OS/2 there is no Direct Connect or Kazaa or WinMX so no way of getting a Windows image to begin with
tongue.gif
and where would I even store it to install from...
tongue.gif

Back