What PlayStation System Should I Get?

9 times out of 10 the way a modchip breaks a Playstation 2, is by the person burning a hole in the mainboard trying to get all 20 wires soldered onto tiny little IC legs :D . Playstation 2 modchips are by far the hardest to install.

Personally I think the talk about PS2 lasers being crappy is exaggerated. Gamecubes and Xbox lasers malfunction too (albeit less than 10% as often :p ). But the reason for all the complaining about it is because Sony mass-produces the hell out of the machine and it isn't durable enough for some abusive consumers that leave it on the floor in their dusty-ass house, where they smoke 8 packs of cigarettes a day and their dog occasionally walks up to it and sheds a pound of hair all over it.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Jun 26, 2004 @ 03:03 AM

but don't disrespect the mods/admins; no matter how much you disagree with them.

I offer respect to those who deserve it, and, also consider that people have lifes apart from this forums, in other words, sometimes people have a good mood, and sometimes a bad mood.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Jun 26, 2004 @ 03:23 AM

Personally I think the talk about PS2 lasers being crappy is exaggerated. Gamecubes and Xbox lasers malfunction too (albeit less than 10% as often :p ). But the reason for all the complaining about it is because Sony mass-produces the hell out of the machine. The machine isn't durable enough for some abusive consumers that leave it on the floor in their dusty-ass house, where they smoke 8 packs of cigarettes a day and their dog occasionally walks up to it and sheds a pound of hair all over it.

Exactly. And what people "say" is not necessarily the truth.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jun 26, 2004 @ 03:24 AM

...sometimes people have a good mood, and sometimes a bad mood.

That's really no excuse, but I know how it is. Do you need a hug? :rolleyes:

EDIT: :lol: I really lay down the law around here don't I?

PlayStation consoles have been known to ramdomly set themselves alight, my Dreamcast almost caught fire because of it... :(

1.jpg

:hehehe:

Oh and about the reliablity of the PS2 consoles...

charlotteps2.jpg

"Playstation 2's shockingly poor build quality was the subject of a damning report on BBC's Watchdog programme this evening. As demonstrated in these pictures by large-breasted UK:R-forum-favourite Charlotte Hudson, up to 24% of the complaints received by the programme were down to the console not working at all straight out of the box, with many others dying shortly after. Sony, in their now usual customer hating arrogance, denied there was even a problem and opted not to appear on the programme. "

- Taken from another site. Watchdog is a consumer rights type program. I think that was broadcasted 3 years ago, but still, the whole Disc Read Error thing is STUPID, and when I worked at GAME, we had a LOT of consoles coming back, and a LOT of customers having to buy a second PS2 after asking us why thier new games wouldn't work!

Originally posted by KiDdErZ@Jun 26, 2004 @ 11:56 AM

Oh and about the reliablity of the PS2 consoles...

charlotteps2.jpg

"Playstation 2's shockingly poor build quality was the subject of a damning report on BBC's Watchdog programme this evening. As demonstrated in these pictures by large-breasted UK:R-forum-favourite Charlotte Hudson, up to 24% of the complaints received by the programme were down to the console not working at all straight out of the box, with many others dying shortly after. Sony, in their now usual customer hating arrogance, denied there was even a problem and opted not to appear on the programme. "

- Taken from another site. Watchdog is a consumer rights type program. I think that was broadcasted 3 years ago, but still, the whole Disc Read Error thing is STUPID, and when I worked at GAME, we had a LOT of consoles coming back, and a LOT of customers having to buy a second PS2 after asking us why thier new games wouldn't work!

I would never trust that, people that mod their systems "trick" stores to get new systems/items out of their mod failures, etc.

I know a lot of people that do this... they try to mod a PlayStation2 (which is something really hard to do), they fail, breaking it, so they buy a new one, and take the broken one back to the store, as if it were the one they just bought. Same things happen with the Xbox, but sometimes they even steal the HDD and dump the system EEPROM and sell it (for people who were banned for playing LIVE with their modchip enabled).

racketboy, because you do not like me for some reason.

I don't have any personal opinion on the reliability of PS2s (other than to state that it seems all the new gen consoles are less hardy than the 32-bit ones), but I don't think you can chalk up a significant percentage of returned PS2s to failed mod attempts. Maybe five percent or so.

I don't mind you at all, Des, except for when you get on my case.

You can be very pushy with your opinions. Especially since your first comment towards me in this thread was very uncalled for.

Otherwise, I think you are enjoyable and very knowledgable.

BTW, you should become a lawyer or something.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jun 26, 2004 @ 01:10 PM

I would never trust that, people that mod their systems "trick" stores to get new systems/items out of their mod failures, etc.

I know a lot of people that do this... they try to mod a PlayStation2 (which is something really hard to do), they fail, breaking it, so they buy a new one, and take the broken one back to the store, as if it were the one they just bought.

That was broadcast not long after it's initial release. I don't think the PS2 was even cracked by then.

Even so, we got a LOT of units returned just after Christmas day, with faults.

We had customers who ***BUY*** games asking us why thier £39.99 games won't work.

It's not just down to the modders. It's also down to Sony, and primarly Sony.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 26, 2004 @ 01:28 PM

I don't mind you at all, Des, except for when you get on my case.

You can be very pushy with your opinions. Especially since your first comment towards me in this thread was very uncalled for.

Otherwise, I think you are enjoyable and very knowledgable.

BTW, you should become a lawyer or something.

I understand, and I know you are right.

Originally posted by link343@Jun 26, 2004 @ 02:58 PM

According to this, There has been over 7,300 Playstation Games made!

I heard 7,500 from elsewhere, but damn, thats a lot.

Wonder if someone has every game? :lol:

Originally posted by KiDdErZ@Jun 26, 2004 @ 01:16 PM

I heard 7,500 from elsewhere, but damn, thats a lot.

Wonder if someone has every game? :lol:

Then that dude must have one big house to keep them in.

The PS2 is unreliable. Even ask Sony. They take ANY system back that is experiencing the disk read error. And if you have an early gen, they outright replace it. If Sony didn't think there was any issue, they would just have people buy a new one. Hell that is what most companies do. Something breaks after the warranty period, your SOL. Usualy, they repait cost exceds the price of a new one. I bought my original PS new. I lived in a non-smoking environment with no pets at that time. My PS sat ontop of my entertainment unit. Yet after about 1.5-2 years, i didn't read disks as well. Eventually, the only way to get it to work was by flipping it over. It was gonna cost more than a new one. So I said f' it and got a new one.

Having worked in retail for many years, I can tell you that all the defective PS/PS2 are not dut to modding. As someone pointed out, they were coming in defective shortly after it was released. And how does buying a Japanese system solve anything?? You still have to mod it to play US games.

One big factor for buying a PS2 is that it seems that a lot of Sega's new games are PS2 only.

As for the build quality all I can say is that I've never had a problem with either the PS1 or PS2 personally. In fact both have survived quite a few falls due to the joypads dragging the console down to the floor.

My PS2 broke only about a week after i bought it launch day...sony replaced it and gave me a free controller and extra TV hook ups! :lol:

Back