What to do when you suspect your boss is a thief?

mal

Established Member
At work we have an honesty fridge that we have full of chocolate, softdrinks (soda or pop to some of you) and most importantly, beer. The basic idea is that it makes some money to provide things for the staff that work just won't cover, like a new TV or something similar while also keeping prices low.

For years the fridge had been staggering along with no one really running it and it was rarely kept stocked. If it ever made any money it has now well and truly disappeared into the ether...

Recently I took over running it and have been keeping things well stocked and have been keeping track of the money. After a short period of time I noticed that beer was regularly going missing from the fridge and no one had put any money in nor had they written them up on their slate. This began to be a regular occurance and so a lock was fitted to the fridge. It was under the pretence of keeping the local security guards out of the fridge, but already I had my suspicions...

After the lock was fitted the thefts stopped. I put that down to the fact that either the thief was in fact a security guard or that my suspect had realised he'd been rumbled and hence stopped. Either way, the theft had stopped and I was happy.

That was until a couple of days ago.

Even though the fridge is kept locked (and security don't have a key) beer has started to go missing again. I'mm 99% sure that it's my boss because I've seen him drinking the last few nights and, once again, no one is putting money in nor writing the beer up on their slate. Coincidence? Sadly I doubt it.

So there we are. I seem to have a boss that's a thief and I don't know how to go about taking it up with him. Any ideas?

Serious answers only, please.

Im a a pretty direct person and my workmates (and supervisors) know that im like that and luckily have accpeted me that way. The way i would deal with it is just to come straight out with it. But i dont know if your relationship with your boss would permit that. Mayby just remove the beer altogether or just let you have the key?

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Aug 17, 2004 @ 09:13 PM

You guys drink/have beer at work?!! :yum :lol:

:cheers

My suggestion is to make everyone take a breath analyzer before they leave. ^^;

It's only for after your working day has finished. :rolleyes:

But yes, some people probably do drive when they really shouldn't. :(

Berty - I'm thinking that being direct is the only way that I can go. I'm really not looking forward to it though...

What kinda beer fosters ? :D

Bring up the topic of the missing beer with him in a non confrontational way ....not like this ---> :argue :flamethrower:

Do like this when youre alone next time and shooting the shit with him . Bring up the beer and the system and how it works and let him know that the beer and other items has gone un-accounted for see what he says and then ask him for advice if he says anything other than a solution or that he's forgot to pay or write down that he took it .

I love beer as much as the next guy , but its not really that big of a deal ...really not worth be fired or hated for . Push comes to shove stop stocking beer .

You could write a note about these facts and distribute it to everyone working with you (including your boss), reminding the purpose of this fridge contents, insisting on the 'still missing stuff in spite of the lock' part, and see what happens ...

I think these guys have the right idea. Do it in a non-confrontational way. Either write an office memo to remind people of what the honor fridge is all about, or just explain to your boss what's happening and ask his advice. Either way you'll get the message out that you're on to the thefts without acusing anyone. You could also threaten to take the whole thing away, since it doesn't seem to be doing what it's supposed to do (raise money for stuff). Maybe a simple note that explains the thefts and asks if anyone is still interested in even having the thing set up.

Yeah, the memo idea, or just post a note on the fridge about it for everyone to see. Don't outright accuse your boss.

But seriously, I'd stop stocking beer altogether. THEN send the memo. "Due to continued theft from the Honor Fridge, despite the addition of a lock, we will no longer be stocking any alcoholic beverages."

Or maybe get rid of the fridge and put in some vending machines instead. I don't know about down in AU, but they're not that much to rent here in the US. But it'll force everyone to pay for what they want.

f that shit... my office is all NON CONFRONTATIONAL about everything... it drives us all insane... be like me, when you have a good group of people around just out and say... yo, whoever is takin' the beer and not payin' come forward or im gonna stop stockin' that shit... of course don't pin your boss out cause your not 100 percent sure, but still let it know it really urks you, pussy footin' around it will cause people to just shove it off. A thief is someone who dont give a shit about curtosy, thats why there a thief... aproach em' on there own ground.

like how i dealt with my brother, his ass wouldn't move out when i continually confronted him about his due rent. he felt i should move out despite me continually informing him how he can afford the 1300 bucks a month when he cant afford the 500 i require. Finally i called him at work and said "alright prick im on my way up there to ambarass your ass in front of all your customers. i got a baseball bat here and im smashing in your head and chewing out your throat." he said sorry dude, ill move.

oh brutal victory, my first time defeating my brother whos 6 years older and a marine... I RULE.

Mal, don't take a baseball bad to your bosses head, please, haha.

I vote hte take beer away, and leave a note. Also, I would talk to the boss about it. If he is an hoinest guy, he'll fess up.

I suggest putting a video camera to catch your boss in the act before accusing him.

Another thing, your boss may not think he is stealing cuz he is the 'boss'

Wait wait... let me get this straight... you guys have an Honesty Fridge? :smash

OK, I feel better now. Anyway, memo is a good idea. If that fails, severe beatings usually work. Or you could just talk to him about it, and act like you think its someone else, not him. Act like you're asking if he has any ideas as to who it could be, that sorta thing.

Back