What type of music do you like?

I like all sorts of music but my recent fascination is electronic. I recently discovered Aphex Twin and Squarepusher because I'm a big fan of Boards of Canada, and they are label-mates. Aphex does get a bit pretentious from time to time, but stuff like 'Windowlicker' kicks ass. Not quite as much ass as Squarepusher's "red hot car" kicks :)

As for non-electronic music: it runs the gamut, really. I like any band that can stand on their own without promotion actually. Bands like Trail of Dead and The Dandy Warhols. As a friend put it, organic sounding.

Odd side note: does anyone, after hearing Audioslave, really REALLY wish that Soundgarden was still around? I think a lot of it might be 90s nostalgia. Me and some friends were playing Road Rash on the the 3DO and this nostalgic feeling about the game's presentation hit us, and all of that older A&M records alt-rock soundtrack helped it along. We came to the realization, all at the same time, that it would be cool to hear Soundgarden again.

There are types of music I can't stand: mostly contemporary country (not like country from the 70s and earlier), overproduced pop (I realize the irony in this), and most rap. Rap is like listening to bad electronic music. Bad electronic music is also usually any artist whose name begins with 'DJ'.

Well, this was an ultimately useless post. w00t.

Originally posted by Gallstaff+Oct 8, 2003 @ 01:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gallstaff @ Oct 8, 2003 @ 01:52 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Des-ROW@Oct 8, 2003 @ 02:26 AM

Pretty difficult question... the perfect example of "Intelligence" is DJ Taka's "Abyss" song.

How is abyss intelligent? It's just a bunch of sounds really I mejan there's sort of a beat in there but nothing that can really be called a song. It's more of a bemani style thing. [/b][/quote]

Well, that Techno subgenre is actually called Intelligence, I did not decide the name. DJ Taka himself defined Abyss as "Intelligence".

Early 90's "Grunge Scene"

Basically, "Hard/Alt Rock", I suppose...

Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc...

I also like other groups as well, (of course) older Metallica, Black Flag, & The Wipers.

(most have probably never heard of those last two bands)

Too many to mention, really...

I like HipHop which does not mean pop rap such as Nelly, etc. People tend to dismiss whole genres by the imression they receive from overexposed commercial acts - that's like playing Altered Beast and then saying all Megadrive games are a piece of s#it.

Really I like older hiphop or any current stuff with some kind of intelligent element in the lyrics.

I also like old soul, some rock, game soundtracks, some lame cheesy 80s pop music (can't help it, i grew up with the s#it) and also movie soundtracks sometimes.

What I find is that it is extremely hard to tolerate any music you don't like, and also that 90% of people only purchase chart music promoted by Mtv is sad, but no different to any other aspects of modern society.

By choice I listen to trance or soul hip hop. I listen to rap too though... and some alternative, and other branches of techno and dance. Of course I'm pretty much not picky as to what I listen to, as long as it isn't heavy metal, can't stand that crap... way too much negative energy there. Right now on my playlist I just got my import copy of the kingdom hearts OST in the mail, so I'll be listening to that for atleast a few days lol.

Gernerally I'm a music whore so I try to listen to anything and everything I haven't heard before, my music collection and my taste in music is overall:

Metal (nu, some black, and death), Classical (Sigur Ross, Beathoven, Adrew Gagnon), Country, Alternative, Contemprary, Classic rock, Souhtern Rock, Hip-Hop (very picky on this one), Electronica (Trance, Goa..etc.), Blues, Jazz, Acid Jazz, Folk. JPop, Punk, Easy Listening, Instrumental, Oldies, 70s, 80s, Industrial, Rock, and minor amounts of rap (again, very picky here).

I pretty much listen to every genre I can think of that largely has every sub-genre you guys noted earlier.

My faves being Electronica, Classic Rock, Classical, and Modern rock.

So if anyone has anything new or different to recommend, that would be cool for me to check out, I'm all ears on it.

Originally posted by Cloud121@Oct 8, 2003 @ 11:38 PM

80's Pop (Michael Jackson :p )

hehe -- every once in a while I play some old-school MJ stuff.

His 90's and on stuff, sucks of course

Mostly hard rock with a strong bias toward the 70s/80s period e.g. Journey, Bad Company, Zeppelin, Golden Earring, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Dire Straits among many others, though a substantial chunk of stuff I like falls under the "progressive" umbrella, stuff like Liquid Tension Experiment (particularly "Kindred Spirits", "Freedom of Speech", and "Universal Mind") / Dream Theater, Queensryche, Jethro Tull, Kansas, Rush, Eric Johnson, Yngwie Malmsteen and so on. I'm currently afflicted with an odd ailment that compels me to cue up "Surrender" by Cheap Trick (of "Live at Budokan" fame) on a regular basis, even though if I actually stop and think about it I can't identify anything in the song I really like other than the drumming. Something tells me recording industry producers wasted no time reverse-engineering their sound (assuming it wasn't engineered to begin with)...

And then there's the Minibosses, whose Konami covers make my heart smile.

On the whole, I don't think I listen to as much music as I probably should. Oh well...

Originally posted by ExCyber@Oct 8, 2003 @ 10:17 PM

And then there's the Minibosses, whose Konami covers make my heart smile.

I truly appreciate you posting such an amazing link, after listening to their covers, I feel like crying, so beautiful.

Originally posted by cww80@Oct 8, 2003 @ 11:54 PM

Early 90's "Grunge Scene"

Basically, "Hard/Alt Rock", I suppose...

Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc...

I also like other groups as well, (of course) older Metallica, Black Flag, & The Wipers.

(most have probably never heard of those last two bands)

Too many to mention, really...

:agree

:bow :bow :bow NIRVANA :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow ;)

black sabbath, iron maiden, some other bands that aren't as important as those two... ;)

i think i'm the only person on this board who listens to punk and hardcore, too.

also, i think it's awesome that someone else around here likes Black Flag.

it's all about the first four years though. rollins can eat it.

(ps. the wipers are good too)

you guys should check out dag nasty if you like the wipers.

you should just check out "can i say" and "wig out a denko's" their other records aren't as good as those two.

Back