What was your first 3D Accelerated Card?

I think most people that have been having problems at this stage are those that bought the ASUS SLI board.

I'm thinking more of problems with compiler, application, and OS support for the AMD64 ISA (which AFAIK goes completely unused in most Athlon 64 systems today) than with PCI Express (which seems to be pretty smooth, but jacks up the price).

So we're not counting onboard? Damn, there goes my S3 Virge DX. I had a Stealth III for a while, which was ok for a while, until I got a few bucks together, and built a nice Duron system with a Kyro I. That was actually an excellent performer, for the money.

If you count onboard, mine would be some anonymous CGA chipset (marvel at the brilliance of Sierra adventures presented in hyperdithered black, white, cyan, and magenta!) in a Laser 8086-based PC clone. The next one after that was some barely passable Tseng Labs (I think) VGA chipset in an IBM PS/1 that I remember primarily for having crappy/nonexistent VBE support.

No no, I was only counting something with rudimentary "3D acceleration". The Virge advertised it, although in practice very few games ran "accelerated" on it, but the 166Mhz Pentium MMX was more than adequate at the time for software rendering anyway. Dropped a 400Mhz K6-2 in there later on, anyway.

my first non integrated graphics card was also my first 3d card. A voodoo3 3000 pci card. I was a late adopter of 3d (when considering that I've been messing with computers for like 17 years now).

Back