what would you like to see here ?

I was thinking maybe changing how SX works a bit honestly, as one thing I've seen over the years is that all the contributers (more or less) eventually set up their own sega sites instead. There are a ton of classic SX sites out there with none being all that special, usually with one or two maintainers.

Maybe we set up SX to expand what the users can do, to the point of letting them make their own portals? (Give me a break if my terms being used aren't the best, I'm rather tired atm)

You mean improved profile pages which would allow people to design and build it however they want?

Honestly, I'm really not sure. It's not a very mature brain-storm.

It just seems to me all the countless sites exist since people want direct credit for their own work or would rather have a personal niche to them. Just trying to think of a way to accommodate that while keeping people from straying away from Segaxtreme.

In effect making SX a pretty cool portal. I agree with Dibz - there's a ton of Sega fansites, but most of them are half-a-site.

But we don't want to become one of those sites that has none of it's own content, and just links to other sites.

We have a lot of content. We just seem to lack contributors as of the last 2 years.

Is it due to lack of direct sega news and enthusiam?

Or is it due to whatever this mysterious drama from N years ago was (which nobody will explain to me)?

If it's just lack of new sega content, then I think we need to change what we are. We can't be segaxtreme anymore, without just being a niche place with occasional news of what's left of the once great sega making another disasterous misuse of the Sonic franchise.

I think we need to generalize into a more encompassing retro gaming website.

And there is a way to let other gamers websites have their own peronsonally-credited content appear on segaxtreme. Using the RSS feed (somehow), you can link to someone's blog, and when they post to their own blog, the post also appears on segaxtreme. In that way, these members who leave to create their own sites still get personal credit for everthing they post. But at the same time, all the info is consolidated on segaxtreme, at which point segaxtreme becomes a portal for all the recent blog posts from other community members.

And we can still have the archives and development sections for their content-oriented nature. And other content such as the translations, scores, manuals, endings, etc.

Jedi Master Thrash said:
Is it due to lack of direct sega news and enthusiam?

Or is it due to whatever this mysterious drama from N years ago was (which nobody will explain to me)?

Well, Sega is producing a lot of games. In fact they cranked out (developed, published or both) 30 games last year. The Conduit and Madworld are probably the most hyped games for '09 for the Wii. Since they aren't on a Sega console, it's lost some of its mystique.

Honestly, I think the lack of enthusiasm is directly linked to the lack of Sega hardware. Maybe its just me, but this was always a sega hardware site, not software.

The mysterious drama isn't all that dramatic. There were multiple dramas, if I recall. As falstaff alluded to, there were some personality clashes. Then there was a schism between vgrebirth.org and here (something to do with hosting games). Then the site was compromised, repeatedly. The schism and one of the compromises happened at the same time, but the two were unrelated (even though it seemed so at the time). I personally disappeared right after this for a year or so, so if anything happened in the meantime, so one else will need to fill in the gaps.

The only major dramatic thing anyone really needs to know is that dibz posted a message stating that segaxtreme was going to disappear, and then a ton of people came out of the woodwork and donated money to keep it running. SX isn't going anywhere, even if it's quiet on the boards.

---

As JMT said, we have a ton of content. Feeds from various sites would be pretty cool, if only for us to comment on. Organizing all the content is a monumental task, and without some concerted effort it'd be too hard for one, two or even five people.

I don't know what happened to vgrebirth's forums, I can't access them. Racketboy's site is powered by sheer will - he writes a lot of content and gets them up on social networks, and he posts profusely on his site. Seganerds.com's forums and irc... well, sega nerds has a lot of news postings, but the quality of posts there are the exact opposite of here.

I guess, there's pitfalls for all these things.

mtxblau said:
Well, Sega is producing a lot of games. In fact they cranked out (developed, published or both) 30 games last year. The Conduit and Madworld are probably the most hyped games for '09 for the Wii. Since they aren't on a Sega console, it's lost some of its mystique.

Honestly, I think the lack of enthusiasm is directly linked to the lack of Sega hardware. Maybe its just me, but this was always a sega hardware site, not software.

The mysterious drama isn't all that dramatic. There were multiple dramas, if I recall. As falstaff alluded to, there were some personality clashes. Then there was a schism between vgrebirth.org and here (something to do with hosting games). Then the site was compromised, repeatedly. The schism and one of the compromises happened at the same time, but the two were unrelated (even though it seemed so at the time). I personally disappeared right after this for a year or so, so if anything happened in the meantime, so one else will need to fill in the gaps.

The only major dramatic thing anyone really needs to know is that dibz posted a message stating that segaxtreme was going to disappear, and then a ton of people came out of the woodwork and donated money to keep it running. SX isn't going anywhere, even if it's quiet on the boards.

---

As JMT said, we have a ton of content. Feeds from various sites would be pretty cool, if only for us to comment on. Organizing all the content is a monumental task, and without some concerted effort it'd be too hard for one, two or even five people.

I don't know what happened to vgrebirth's forums, I can't access them. Racketboy's site is powered by sheer will - he writes a lot of content and gets them up on social networks, and he posts profusely on his site. Seganerds.com's forums and irc... well, sega nerds has a lot of news postings, but the quality of posts there are the exact opposite of here.

I guess, there's pitfalls for all these things.

I should clarify the idea I mentioned earlier. It wouldn't be links to other sites. It would be bringing other sites into SX, as part of the SX website -- sort of personal pages to members.

I've also given thought to expanding the forums to "host" sub-forums for sega related projects.

I'm not sure if the forum is getting enough activity to warrant expanding it. I think we need to pull some more attention towards content.

Recently I've learnt how to use a Wiki to record knowledge and information. I gets to me thinking that may be a Wiki would be the right answer for the site. That way anyone could contribute.

Back