Whatever happened to SuperFighter?

I remember reading (on gooddealgames frontpage maybe?) several months ago the a new game, SuperFighter, was in development and would be released on several retro systems including neo-geo and Sega CD, maybe 3d0 too.

Anyone know whatever happened to it?

I think it's absolutely great that people would release games for beloved retro systems. They aren't dead as long as people own them and play them. And considering that many sega cd games which are a decade old still go for 40-100$ on ebay, there is definitely a market. If only some game company would invest in making new retro games, or finishing up alpha and beta games that were dumped when the system died.

The same thing goes for genesis and 32x. Definitely 32x. I think the 32x-CD has immense potential. It was just so stupidly underutilized. Heck, utilized isn't even right. The 32x-CD format was just plain bastardized in my opinion.

Why? Why bother? If we want new games, we should just make them and get them for our shiney new PS2s and X-Boxes and GameCubes! NOT! I hate to break it to the entire gaming population, but new games SUCK! Besides a rare gem of ingenuity, all new games suck. The gameplay sucks. 3rd person behind the back 3-d gameplay sucks ass, and that's all every game made since the playstation came out is.

Sonic was fun. Contra was fun. Musha was fun. 2D rocked. The graphics were limited, the control options were limited. They had to fine-tune the gameplay to perfection otherwise the game would fall flat on its face. That's why the games rocked.

Batman Returns CD is the funnest driving sim I've ever played. AH-3 Thunderstrike the funnest copter sim I've ever played. Silpheed was a blast. Arcade-style 3D rocked. Again, gameplay as well as early-90's 80's pop-metal inspired CD soundtracks made the difference. The control on all playstation driving games just plain sucks.

I simply yearn for more of what was good.

Sorry about diverging into a rant. My original question had something to do with superfighter.

JMT.

I really could care less about Super Fighter.

But you are right about the potential of the 32X CD.

If you used both the 32X carts and CD together you could have a very nice game. Cart for most stuff -- fast loading -- and CD for big stuff like cutscenes and music. mmm -- what could have been

Originally posted by Jedi Master Thrash@Nov 7, 2003 @ 12:20 AM

I remember reading (on gooddealgames frontpage maybe?) several months ago the a new game, SuperFighter, was in development and would be released on several retro systems including neo-geo and Sega CD, maybe 3d0 too.

Anyone know whatever happened to it?

Originally, Charles Doty was slated to do the port to Sega CD along with the Turbo Duo and Neo Geo CD ports (I think). The Sega CD port was the last on his list and he was running a bit behind schedule. Over the summer I contacted Older Games to see if they had any need for a Sega CD programmer and they offered me a shot at programming the Sega CD port.

I got as far as having the graphics engine (sprite management, Raster F/X for more colors) as well as the graphics converters i would need more or less done by early to mid august. After that my personal life, my normal job and the difficulty of understanding the code of the original game (very poorly commented x86 assembly) have stalled it out a bit. However, things are starting to calm down now and I hope to make substantial progress this month.

The 32X-CD combo has a lot of untapped potential, but it's very hard to use because of the system's limited RAM and the oddities of the architecture. A very clever programmer might be able to get something close to the quality of the Quake engine running if he uses both the CD graphics processor and both of the SH-2s. The biggest problem is shoveling data to the SH-2s, it's just a really awkward process.

Hmm, I woulda thought the biggest problem would have been properly utilizing the many chips together. Although, I think you could probably do a really good 2D RPG or something without too much trouble, vs a full blown 3D game. The lack of memory wouldn't be as much of an issue if they released a cart+CD combo. But that's not really feasible for homebrew, at any rate.

Anyway, that's really cool about SuperFighters, Mask! You know we like stuff like that.

Back