What's the best handheld for homebrew emulation?

racketboy

Established Member

The topic pretty much says it all.

Am looking mostly to emulate SNES and Genesis and other good stuff.

Am looking best combination of price, screen, battery life, and size

Thanks!

With all the PSP emulators coming out as of late, I'd get one of those. Not only can you play mp3's on it, play video's on it, play PSP games on it, but it has wireless access, and the emulators are quickly showing progress. Extremely nice unit, crisp screen, excellent sound.

All in one for sure.

but those are expensive... if your willing to spend over 100$ get a "GamePark32/GP32) great battery life, you can get a back lit screen, comes with a dev kit, plays mp3, DivX, Xvid, all kinds of junk, and the emulation on it is crisp for SNES and Genny!!!! And also uses SD flash disks upto 256MB. They sell for like 150$ for a back lit unit.

The problem with the PSP is you need the older BIOS to play them.

Sony is already making games that force a BIOS upgrade.

So soon, you will need to decide if you're going to use the PSP for emulation or playing "real" games

Originally posted by lordofduct@Thu, 2005-06-02 @ 09:01 PM

but those are expensive... if your willing to spend over 100$ get a "GamePark32/GP32) great battery life, you can get a back lit screen, comes with a dev kit, plays mp3, DivX, Xvid, all kinds of junk, and the emulation on it is crisp for SNES and Genny!!!! And also uses SD flash disks upto 256MB. They sell for like 150$ for a back lit unit.

[post=134846]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah that was one I wanted feedback on.

What's the best place to buy one?

What are the other ones I'm thinking of?

There's one that is basically a Palm device, right? what one is that? I wanna say Iceman2K has one...

Originally posted by racketboy@Thu, 2005-06-02 @ 06:07 PM

There's one that is basically a Palm device, right? what one is that? I wanna say Iceman2K has one...

[post=134856]Quoted post[/post]​

You are thinking of a Tapwave Zodiac, but I didn't know there was a homebrew scene for those. 😱

Yeah that's the one.

Well I assume there are emulators for Palm

edit: 7300 posts -- woohoo 🙂

I still think that the PSP's bios will be cracked, and you will be able to play those emulators on it. I dunno, you may be right, I still have a feeling it may be the better choice (faster, better gfx chip)

A GBA with a flashcart is a great little device if you want to play NES, SMS, or OG Game Boy games. Not good for much else emu-wise, but you also have the advantage of being able to 'demo' hundreds of GBA games.

Last time I checked, coders were moving from the GP32 to the Zodiac - I think they prefered the faster cpu device. Now that PSP is out, there seems to be a massive flood of coders willing to code for the system, with emu's out already.

As things stand, PSP seems to be the most prominant candidate for emu's thesedays - again, possibilities are expanded due to faster CPU.

That said, GP32 can already do a handful of systems, including SNES and Genesis, though development of these two are still have a way to go. And I don't think GP32 supports SD media cards - Smart media cards it supports - 3.3V only. Largest capacity = 128MB.

Though would be considered rather small storage space, you will find that encoding vids at the resolution of the GP32 and downgrading the audio a bit, results in very small files, that are very nice on the GP32 screen. Converting your Mp3's to OGG's (@ 96Kbps) will cut down taken space by ~60%. Easily enough space for all your emu's and favorite games.

So there 😛

Untill today it's been the GP32, without a doubt.

But an unmodded GP32 will soon fall behind the Nintendo DS.

A great strategy of big N is to use new and strange kinds of human interfaces. You can even see that on the Pokemon Mini console, which had a shock sensor.

Didn't the DS have a light sensor?

DS is cheap, got very good commercial games and history shows: portable consoles from big N get the biggest homebrew community.

Oh, how much I would like to win a DS...

Yeah ive been hearing about this Zodiac a lot lately... I just don't know much about the thing, and it has a pretty hefty price tag on it.

I have a Zodiac 2 and its a great little device. VERY nice screen on it and has 2 slots for sd cards so you could put 2 2GB cards in it on top of the 128MB memory already in it. It has dual speakers which sound good for being so little, touch screen, a rumble feature, and a 8MB dedicated ATI video card. It is palm based so you have those thousands and thousands of palm games and apps for it.

dspspzodiac.png

The Zodiac is the smaller one there.

:banana

How sturdy is that puppy?

It look like it would hold up well

The casing is all metal so I would say it is VERY sturdy.

Damn thing looks nice...

Its cheaper then I thought. About the price of a PSP (325 i see averaging) I may pick myself one of these up.

Originally posted by racketboy@Sat, 2005-06-04 @ 10:55 PM

OK, so what's the difference between the Zodiac 1 and 2?

[post=134952]Quoted post[/post]​

The only difference is memory. I believe Zodiac 1 has 32MB, whereas Zodiac 2 has 128MB or something like that.

Back