What's The Best "Shining" Game?

racketboy

Established Member

I know you guys are gonna hate me for making you decide between all of them, but it has to be done :)

Shining Force 1 is the best, no other one was better in my eyes.

My friend wanted to draw a picture of the characters from StHA in bathing suites.... shining... the holy ark (from the bible and all lol)...

Shining Force 2...I went crazy searching for that game...there is no other RPG quite like it...Shining Force 3 just didn't have that same atmosphere....and besides...Slade the Rat and Peter the Phoenix were so cool!

Originally posted by crystalmethod@Jul 25, 2003 @ 10:19 PM

Shining Force 2...I went crazy searching for that game...there is no other RPG quite like it...Shining Force 3 just didn't have that same atmosphere....and besides...Slade the Rat and Peter the Phoenix were so cool!

SF2 was great too indeed but I was disappointed when they removed Chapters principle. Also they tried to improve maps and towns design but I find that some areas have bad colors, I prefer simple colors of the first Shining Force :)

Maybe the effects in battle action part are better. Finally I find the SF2's scenario is as good as the first one :)

Originally posted by racketboy@Jul 25, 2003 @ 07:11 PM

I know you guys are gonna hate me for making you decide between all of them, but it has to be done :)

Shining The Holy Ark!....NUFF SAID!!!!!

1 vote for sf2 here. It was the second strategy/rpg game I played and so far I have only played one game that I liked better, warsong. This game is top on my list!

Originally posted by vbt+Jul 25, 2003 @ 11:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vbt @ Jul 25, 2003 @ 11:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-vbt@Jul 25, 2003 @ 11:28 PM

SF2 was great too indeed but I was disappointed when I was they removed Chapters principle.
[/b][/quote]

What the hell is that? LOL!

Originally posted by racketboy@Jul 25, 2003 @ 02:11 PM

You're right.

*hates you*

;)

I really can't decide... it's between Shining Force and Shining Force 3... Shining Force 2 was just too kiddy...

Edit:

And I just noticed, you left out a game. Shining Force: Final Conflict. 'twas a gaiden game for the game gear. Plenty of cool crossovers. :)

added it

but I thought all the GG ones were in Japanese and that they were all included on SF CD

There are 3 Gaiden games for the Game Gear... only one was translated into English, Sword of Hayja.

Two of those Gaidens (one being Sword of Hayja) made it over to be Book 1 & 2 of Shining Force CD. Book 3 is completely unrelated to the other Gaiden game... As is Book 4.

Final Conflict had Adam, Max, and a host of baddies from SF1, along with Hawel, Volcanon, The King of Granseal (or perhaps on of his earlier ancestors...), and even Oddeye. Plus some characters completely new to the series. :)

So Final Conflict wasn't translated, correct?

I also read somewhere that you could play SF:FC on the Sega CD if you had a memory cart - I took it with a grain of salt, but is there any truth in that?

EDIT: Looks like I wasn't the only one...

Originally posted by crystalmethod+Jul 25, 2003 @ 11:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crystalmethod @ Jul 25, 2003 @ 11:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by vbt@Jul 25, 2003 @ 11:28 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-vbt
@Jul 25, 2003 @ 11:28 PM

SF2 was great too indeed but I was disappointed when I was they removed Chapters principle.

What the hell is that? LOL! [/b][/quote]

what's wrong ??? I have the right to make mistakes :angry: :angry: I removed "I was" from my sentence, I didn't notice that, it's not a reason to mock at me. I prefer the chapter system of SF1 that's all, it was a great system and they put it again in SF3.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Jul 26, 2003 @ 12:55 AM

So Final Conflict wasn't translated, correct?

I also read somewhere that you could play SF:FC on the Sega CD if you had a memory cart - I took it with a grain of salt, but is there any truth in that?

EDIT: Looks like I wasn't the only one...

correctamundo

The unlockable books on Shining Force CD are made only for that system. Book 3 has an adventure against Dava (taking place shortly after the events of the first two books). Book 4 is a huge boss battle... using the bosses from all 3 previous books.

Final Conflict is another adventure against the main enemies from the original Shining Force game. If memory serves correctly, it happens shortly after the events of the original Shining Force game, and basically tells what happened to Max after the first adventure (though you play as a completely different character chasing him through Paramecia). Final Conflict was never officially translated, per say...

There's a patch made that translates some of the character names, items, and weapons into English... but none of the story. Moogie has the storyline translated on her site somewhere.... http://www.shiningforcecentral.com/ I'm sure if you're interested, you can find it there. Actually, you can find pretty much everything about the Shining series there.

I vote for shining force 3.

It has an awesome storyline.

And I find the characters very charismatic (more than the sf1 and 2 hero).

Don't forget that friendship link between character which is a great addition :)

If you ONLY consider Shining Force 3 Scenario 1, you are being unfair ;P

All 3 scenarios together make it the best strategy RPG I ever played in my whole life. Scenario 1 is a mere introduction to the whole mess that unfolds.

So, how does one go about unlocking the 3rd and 4th books? And can it be done in Gens? Neither myself nor my sister play the Sega CD enough to warrant paying $50 on ebay for a SCD memory cart... (besides, all she plays is Rise of the Dragon, emulated).

And just to make sure - Book 3 and 4 aren't Final Conflict - Final Conflict is a wholly separate game made for the GG, correct?

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Jul 27, 2003 @ 10:24 AM

So, how does one go about unlocking the 3rd and 4th books? And can it be done in Gens? Neither myself nor my sister play the Sega CD enough to warrant paying $50 on ebay for a SCD memory cart... (besides, all she plays is Rise of the Dragon, emulated).

And just to make sure - Book 3 and 4 aren't Final Conflict - Final Conflict is a wholly separate game made for the GG, correct?

Correct.

My memory is a bit hazy as to how to unlock them... I haven't played the game in years.

I know that you need to find the musuem ticket, which is hidden in a well. It's in one of the earlier chapters of the book, right outside of a cabin. Which chapter or which book, I'm not positive on. And I only know for certain that it unlocks Book 4... I believe Book 3 is unlocked simply if you have a completed Book 1 and Book 2 save. I'll go check on that real quickly though...

Edit:

Museum Ticket : Book 2, Chapter 1, Battle 5, In the Well

No definitive answer, but Book 3 does appear to be unlocked from beating Book 1 and Book 2... probably in that order.

Back