what's the easiest way to play CD-rw without a mod

There is no "or". To get the Saturn to run a CD-RW disc you need both the laser adjustment (otherwise it can't read the disc at all) and swapping (to defeat the copyprotection).

Save yourself both the bother of swapping and breaking your Saturn, get a modchip and use CD-Rs. Install some switches or use an Action Replay and save yourself the bother of region-patching too!

Just ask a friend/local electronics shop who can.

hmmmmmmmm, a local electronics shop, let me get out my map... lets seeeeeeeeee, hmmmmmmmm all i see are farms and my local radio shack is only interested in selling cell phones as they are all lame college students, my friends??? are less computer literate than me let alone elecrtonics literate

Soldering is not too hard, all you need is some determination and luck. My full-mod Saturn (modchip, region- and videoswitches) was my fourth solderjob ever. Get a decent soldering iron, some bluetack and get on with it. You can check out some electronics websites for hints, Mike G's SMS-reader-page is pretty good.

A steady hand and practice are really useful too.

Originally posted by majjicgnome@May 31 2002,22:42

hmmmmmmmm, a local electronics shop, let me get out my map... lets seeeeeeeeee, hmmmmmmmm all i see are farms and my local radio shack is only interested in selling cell phones as they are all lame college students, my friends??? are less computer literate than me let alone elecrtonics literate

Well then the obvious solution would be to move to the city and get some electronics enthusiast friends. Duh
tongue.gif

antime --> Uh, anyone can solder. But not many can solder PROPERLY. Doing a "cold" solder job isn't something fun to fix. Better to get someone to do it right the first time. Otherwise things will come undone, start flaking, ect.

It's not so tough to spot a bad joint while you're doing the soldering - the solder blob on a good joint should have a shiny surface, and should look like it flowed over the joint regularly rather than beading up around the joint. A dull or rough surface immediately after soldering (i.e. before the joint has had enough time to accumulate dirt) also indicates a bad joint. There should not be so much solder on the joint that the blob rises up in a spheroid shape from the board, but also not so little that there are gaps in the joint. Hand soldering is as much an art as a science, so getting some practice is essential. It's not so obscure that it's black magic, though - the main difficulty is simply getting a feel for how the solder flows and how long you need to keep your iron on the joint. As long as you make a reasonable effort to ensure that you've made good joints, they probably won't be any more unreliable than the ones already in your Saturn, and a Saturn mod generally requires a maximum of two wires, so it's not tough to remove or rework the connections if the modboard starts misbehaving. If you're interested in finding out more about reliable soldering, there is a good quality-oriented guide here, though the style is a bit unfriendly.

how about i buy a pre-modded Saturn, i'm trying to work out a deal with a guy on Game Trading Zone so i can get a modded Saturn, can anyone else give me some in getting a pre-modded saturn if i get ripped off by this person?

how about clarifying the horrible grammar in the latter half of my fragmented sentence, what i meant was can someone else hook me up with a modded saturn if i get burned by the dude on game tz

People quite often ask about buying premodded Saturns here. They don't tend to get many offers.

I wouldn't hold your breath. ???

ahh come one there has to be a nerdy techie kid albiet a ::cough:: GODLY PERSON::: who is very benign and will make me an offer for a modded saturn

If you want to take a trip through hell and find your moded saturn, try playthegames... but only as a last resort. They dick you around left and right... couldn't even get my my cart... SUCH A SIMPLE PRODUCT, A REGION CART! ... beeotches...

Just hit the search engine, you might be surprised. When it came to modding my PSone, I just went to a search engine and found four places in my local area that install modchips on systems. They even provide package deals where if you buy your modchip from them, they install it for free.

You can't afford what I would charge you for a fully modded Saturn. My labor is time. My time is not cheap.

Yea but most places that do mod installs won't do them for Saturn systems.

dboy, i really hate it when people say "you can't afford this" and then not give a price, also in response to the search engine comment hmmmmmm... my local area, well in my local area i have a few farmers that can hook me up with some free cow manure for my garden

Well, I just did a search on a Chinese search engine, and I already found at least 1 or 2 stores which sell "Pass-Through" SS mods, as well as other things. Even a few companys which do mass wholesale manufacturing (3000 pcs minimum). They can make you ANYTHING from PSX memory cards, to SS MODs, to even VCD Players which play Famicom games. The only problem is the webpages are writen in Chinese (Big-5 Multi-Byte characters).

As far as English On-line stores go, forget it. Even if you could find a place, you'd be paying through the nose.

Back