Where were you on September 11, 2001?

No, your wrong. They were made to withstand a Fire for 2 hours(I think) and they did just that.

In an interview with the builder of the wtc, he stated that the building was meant to withstand the impact of a plane, not sure which type he had said,

hrmmm... well i dont think theres and way to build something to withstand something WIDER then it smashing into it... then add fire and explosions.... hrmmmm, and being near its mid section. Ever play jenga, that shit gonna fall.

IIRC, the builder said the towers could survive a plane hitting. He was not referring to two 747s or whatever they were.

I was at home asleep. It was my day off. My employee who was opening the store called, as they were evacuating the Mall of America. From that point on, I sat glued to the TV. I was terrified.

Originally posted by slinga@Sep 12, 2004 @ 12:53 PM

IIRC, the builder said the towers could survive a plane hitting. He was not referring to two 747s or whatever they were.

But they could have, and that's my point. The planes were full of extremely volatile fuel, and it burned - it burned a lot, and it burned really hot, and it burned in large areas. Are you still with me here? No? Alright...

The buildings were really well designed. Given the lack of strong winds at the time, and the low building load at the time, the steel would have to be reduced to crap for the building to collapse. All that fuel made it happen. Had those flights been flights from say, California, and they hit the buildings near the end of their journey... the buildings would likely have held. The structures shrugged off the initial impact and straightened themselves out. I'd also like to point out that compared to the twin towers, a 747 isn't exactly massive.

I was in the bathroom washing my face, when my dad called me.

I stuck my head out the door and he told me the WTC had been attacked. Then I looked over at the TV and saw the images of NYC. All the dust from the collapse of the first tower.

It was really a memorable moment. :(

i do remember sitting down at the tv and thinking i was watching some action movie... hehe, then i started thinking, YO this scene for this building getting hit is kind of long, crappy movie... and i changed the channel, just to notice it was network tv.... WOAH wait a second i think.

but what did i do this september 11th, oh yeah try to hang myself... fun fun.

Man back then I was working at an aluminum extrusion factory. I remember taking my first break and seeing some breaking news on the tv but didn't know what it was. Then as the day went on I kept hearing different stories. First, that

a plane had crashed into the world trade center. Then I heard it was the pentagon, then I heard it went down somewhere in PA. So I'm thinking how can everyone get this story all screwed up. Then at my next break I went to the tube and found out it ALL happened. That freaked me out. I didn't know what was going on. It seemed like the end of the world or something. I was amazed how laxed everyone at work was. I kept thinking about it all day and couldn't wait to get home to watch as much coverage about it as possible. That was a crazy day.

Back