Which Saturn can I mod?

I just ordered a Lik-Sang modchip, unaware that there were some many different kinds of model 2's. ex: 64 ic thing, and a pc trap card. I was wondering if my saturn has any of these things preventing me to install chip. I have a model 2 manufactured in 1996 in japan. Anyone else have this version modded by the lik-sang modchip?

I have a model 2 from June 1996 (64 pin, MK80000A) & it works with the Lik-sang mod chip.... (this one does not have the PC TRAP thing...) and the 'no blue wire' mod described by mal works great..... It should work fine on a 32 pin Saturn too...

Note: It only works for me with the 0014/0019 jumper set the way it was shipped (0014 setting).

one funky thing is that I have to open & close the cd drive lid when it's at the cd player screen (or 2nd menu on my PAR) to get it to recognise game discs (new & backups) so I thought my mod chip didn't work at first...

I also have a model 2 from February 1997 (also a MK-80000A) with the PC TRAP thing, and it does not like my Lik-sang mod chip at all.... I even tried changing the 0014/0019 jumper... no luck.... I've heard that gamegizmo chips work better with this model, but haven't tried one myself (yet).....

Hope this helps,

BvP

p.s. - here's some pics of the 'no blue wire' mod

http://www.geocities.com/saturnbvp/modchip/no_clock_wire.htm

I just stuck them on a geocities site so who knows how long they'll stay there.....

I couldn't say for sure if a new Lik-Sang mod would work with a Saturn that has the 64 pin IC or PC Trap board.

I know that my Lik-Sang mod (which I got over a year ago) would not work with a 64 pin Saturn. Neither would my more recently acquired Lan-Kwei mod. No matter what I tried, nothing would make them work. They work fine in a 32 pin Saturn, but not the 64 pin, so the mods weren't DOA.

I can't speak for any Lik-Sang mods bought more recently though, but other people posting a couple of months ago had no luck with Lik-Sang mods either. ???

Gamegizmo mods work fine in 64 pin Saturns. It was all straight forward. No hassles at all.

I can't speak for Saturns with the PC trap board. I've not got my hands on one of those yet.

AFAIK all mods work with 32 pin Saturns.
smile.gif

My Lik-Sang mod (about 1 yr old) works on my 64 - pin Saturn with or without the no blue wire mod.....(so there is hope) but it won't work in a Saturn with the PC TRAP thing...

Hey, thanks for your input. Can someone put up some instructions on how to install it on a 64 pin model? And can you please make it newbyish, because i've read some here, and still have no idea what i'm doing. Thanks

My lik-sang mod wouldn't work in my 64 pin Saturn.
sad.gif

To be on the safe side, try to get a Saturn with a 32 pin IC. If not, settle for the 64, but never buy a model 1 Saturn.

So the "No Blue wire mod" works fine with yours? But you have to open and close saturn to make it work? If you soder on blue wire, does that make it so it will boot automatically?

The 'A+B' modding method (or whatever you want to call it) works for me 100% the same as soldering to an IC on the CD board. I haven't had to use my Saturn any differently.

I think BvP's Saturn is a bit strange...

I do have to open / close the lid when it's wired up either way... & maybe my Saturn's weird, or maybe it's my modchip (I'm not sure which....) I'm just glad I got the Lik-Sang modchip to work on my 64 pin model 2 Saturn
smile.gif
so I could stop doing the swap-trick on my old model 1

OK, thanks, so, for the no blue wire mod, will it be wired up the same as if i'm sodering on the blue wire? I mean, only soder red wire? And the soder points a and b together, and it should work. And how easily does the ribbon come off the board, I don't want to pull to hard and break it. How much force is required.

only solder the red wire to your +5 V pwr & try the no blue wire mod..... (as pictured in the tutorial) and I've seen some pics of modchips where the red & blue wires are reversed, so make sure that you solder the +5 V wire (usually red, but maybe not always) to the pwr on your saturn & the signal cable (usually blue, but maybe not always) can either be wired to the correct pin on your Saturn, or the 'no blue wire mod technique'

the ribbon cables come out pretty easy, that should be no problem.....

you should be able to see the solder points in the pics on the following pages:

http://www.geocities.com/saturnbvp/modchip/satmod.htm

http://www.geocities.com/saturnbvp/modchip/no_clock_wire.htm

again I re-iterate that they are on a crappy geocities server & the site may be unavailable from time to time (or removed cause it probably violates geocities TOS).

Heya!

Could someone tell me what this PC Trap thing is, or post a picture of it?

I am thinking about getting the modchip from Lik-Sang.

I have a Model 2 Saturn made in October 1996, it is also a 21 pin Saturn with a 32 pin IC. Does anyone think that the Lik-Sang modchip will work with my Saturn, any guesses anyone?

When has anyone said that a mod will not work with a 32 pin Saturn? AFAIK all the available mods will work with a 32 pin Saturn. The only compatability issues seem to be with 64 pin Saturns and those with the Sanyo CD unit and PC trap board.

Mike G has a page showing how to mod a Saturn with a PC trap.

Originally posted by mal@Sep. 12 2002, 7:56 pm

When has anyone said that a mod will not work with a 32 pin Saturn? AFAIK all the available mods will work with a 32 pin Saturn. The only compatability issues seem to be with 64 pin Saturns and those with the Sanyo CD unit and PC trap board.

Mike G has a page showing how to mod a Saturn with a PC trap.

Thanks Mal. I think I will buy the modchip soon, only problem is I don't have a soldering iron in my college apartment.

How much does a soldering iron go for, just a simple one. I guess they can't be that much.

Back