Who owns a Nomad?

The Nomad never had a presense here in australia (was it even released?? i have NEVER seen one here) anyway i have always had the opinion that they are TOTALLY AWESOME so im asking, before i get one from lik-sang or whatever, are they all the're cracked up to be??

i also suppose i wont be able to play PAL carts on them?

also i'd like to know the dimensions of the screen AND is it back lit?

i have always had the opinion that they are TOTALLY AWESOME so im asking, before i get one from lik-sang or whatever, are they all the're cracked up to be??

yup. that and then some. just a tad hard on batteries tho.

i also suppose i wont be able to play PAL carts on them?

there is a region lockout, but there are ways to defeat it

also i'd like to know the dimensions of the screen

2 5/8" x 2"

is it back lit?

yes - the reason for the short battery life

I got it, it's cool but...it's just for a collection. Battery life is WEAK! i've said it before, 6AA's in about 30min. is not fun, or cheap.

The battery life can be short, but if you get the rechargable NIMH AA batteries it's not so bad, I've got an original Powerback rechargeable battery and a set of 6 AA NIMH Rayovac rechargeables. Well worth the extra cost....

Instead of getting rechargeable batteries there is also an AC wall adaptor for the Nomad which I use and believe me it's a lot better then wasting all of those batteries.

yeah but a wall adapter kinda defeats the purpose a bit doesnt it...

I've got an original Powerback rechargeable battery
whats that area-51?

is there anything available like the game gear battery pack? is that compatible?

I believe the power supply it uses is the same as a Genesis 2, just in case you want to play it and you have an outlet
biggrin.gif

I have 2 Nomads, I got the first one 6 months after it was released in 96, and just last year I got my second one.

The first one was mauled by me, and got lots of use, now it won't even play games properly, but still works OK. My power supply is another issue, the battery case has to be taped so it stays in, but I do use my Genesis 3 AC, that works OK. I must say, best road trip portable game system, unless they release a hand held Saturn.

is there anything available like the game gear battery pack? is that compatible?

I use my GG battery pack (the one you can clip onto your belt) and it works fine.

I think I can get about 1 1-1/2 hours use out of it. I'll update when I next test it out fully charged.
cool.gif

you guys are crazy. Get the sega rechargeable pack. It last forever versus the hour or two you get from batteries.

That's the battery pack I have. Rechargable and clips onto your belt (if you're

so inclined). Awesome.
cool.gif

I got the original Powerback rechargeable battery for 50 US on ebay (NEW).

It lasts like 3 hours if you play it a lot. And if you play it for one hour a day, then it lasts for something like 5 days.

It takes 12 hours to recharge.

C ya!

Heh, my nomad runs on 6 D size batteries. Gives me about 4 hours of gameplay. I chopped up a lynx battery holder and modified it to use on the nomad.

Hey dman, that'd be an awesome setup. Any chance you could post

details how you made your battery pack and how you hooked it up

to the Nomad?

I neeeeeeeeeed a Nomad...
sad.gif

I've recently started collecting SEGA consoles. Nomad is one of the ones I need most. Well I guess my Game Gear will do for now
smile.gif

Hey, I just got a nomad today! Yeah! Anyway, I have a few questions:

1. Do all of the monitors have such a low refresh? It's not horrible at all, but I can notice the ghosting, though it's even bearable with Contra Hard Corps. Is the monitor old, or it is what it is??

2. I'm using one of those changeable voltage adapters for my Nomad. I set it to 9V and it works. My concern is with the amperage. It isn't the correct amperage, but is that okay? Would that damage my Nomad?

Now, for question two, I've heard some people say that the Model 2 genny adapter works with the nomad and that's 10V. Should I be concerned? Thanks!

I've had one for a coupe of years now, and I love it. What I did to get more battery power is teh following (very simple really)

I bought a battery pack that is really for remote control Cars (A simple radio Shak one, 9.6 Volts, 1600 mAh Ni-Mh, It has 8 AA batteries)

I made a small adaptor that is just a connector that fits the battery pack and then the Nomad power supply.

It lasts for about 8-10 hours =)

I know it is a bit uncomfotable in size, but for me it is very well worth it.

Back