Who's your favorite comic book character?

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Sep 18, 2003 @ 11:07 AM

I'd have to say either alita from battle angel, or koganei kaoru from flame of recca. As a possible runner up, gabe from Penny-arcade lol. When they had the comic of him gluing his hands to his face I fell out of my chair laughing, and then the one about him playing agianst bots in UT and thinking they were real people.

Edit: w00t, my 500th post.

?! Isn't that suppose to be a manga and not a comic? :huh:

hmm..my choice:

Comic (US): Daredevil

Manga (JAP): Genjo Sanzo from Gensomaden Saiyuki Reload

:cool: :lol:

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but manga's are comics. I mean, isn't the definition of a comic (in this sense) basically a graphic story/novel?

My faverate is wolverine from a specific time period waaaay back. It was when he was doing work with nick fury and the like. He had a patch on one eye, but i forgot what he called himself in those series. He wore black at the time and was just a general badass. If you read them you really understand why him and furry get along so well.

P.S.- I think comics and manga are really two differnt things. Their close but not exactly the same class. It's like the differnce between cartoons and anime.

Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that manga is a subset of comics as anime is a subset of cartoons? I mean, after all, it's not like an anime movie isn't a cartoon, and AFAIK in Japan all cartoons are referred to as anime.

Wow I'm surprised more people don't like Spiderman or Superman given their huge popularity. Anywaym was Archangel ever a comic book character?

Archangel: in X-Men, after Apocalypse made Angel his Death Horseman, removing his feathered wings and replacing them with metal ones and turning his skin blue, he changed his name to Archangel. His feathered wings have since grown back, though his skin is still blue.

There was also a small press comic called Archangels back in the early 90's, but it was just a bible beater book.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Sep 18, 2003 @ 08:26 PM

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but manga's are comics. I mean, isn't the definition of a comic (in this sense) basically a graphic story/novel?

Yes thats 100% correct the same way italians call their comics fumetti or the french bande dessinée, in japan erotic comics are called hentai in Italy its fumetti erotici, only western otaku wannabes get mad over stuff like this and try to distinguish Japanese mangas (and anime) as something totally different just because they´re read from the back to the front they are comics too.

Anime is japanese animation the thing is everyone draws in a very similar style which doens´t happens in anywere else in the world, in the US there alot of variety for example the Disney style or individual styles like Matt Groening´s "The Simpsons".

My favourite one is...

Himura Kenshin from the Rurouni Kenshin Manga, also known as Hittokiri Battousai

Anime is japanese animation the thing is everyone draws in a very similar style which doens´t happens in anywere else in the world, in the US there alot of variety for example the Disney style or individual styles like Matt Groening´s "The Simpsons".

I humbly submit that you are focusing on certain common threads in anime and are ignoring comparable ones in the animation you grew up with. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that (for example) Miyazaki, Toriyama, and Otomo have styles that differ about as much as Hanna-Barbera, Disney, and Max Fleischer (watch his Superman cartoons if you haven't seen them... excellent stuff). That is to say that they all influence each other, but each brings their own sense to the medium; something that happens in virtually every industry to some degree.

Back