Why is strider a bin file???

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ExCyber

Staff member
The .BIN extension is used very widely for many completely unrelated data types. It happens to be a very common extension for ROM images of many formats. In the context of Genesis ROM images, a .BIN file is a straight binary image of the cartridge ROM contents rather than, for example, a SMD image, which has an additional header and organizes the data in interleaved blocks (probably to optimize for the communication protocol on SMD copiers). You can load it directly into just about any Genesis emulator to play it, or if you need it to be in a different format e.g. for use on a copier there are tools that can convert between formats.

eatpenguin

Website
www.amazon.com
thnx excyber for posting a detailed info

because i was about to type in 'wtf question is that'

no need for that, i see ;_)

just an fyi, the roms, if in smd format, need to be converted to bin in order to play on echelon release of smash pack..

Supergrom

Website
Visit site
oh yeah, and i replyed to this same question in the ftp forum, without realizing it was posted here too. Please dont post the same question in more than one forum, and try to refrain from posting questions/requests in the ftp forum at all. Thanks.

darkwizard

Website
Visit site
okok ive been looking for .bin to .smd converters... but none of them make any sense... are there any simple ones out there... or one where someone could tell me the commands neccisary to convert my strider bin to an smd.

ExCyber

Staff member
You shouldn't need to convert it to play it on any genesis emulator.

Edit: I just downloaded Gens 1.50 and it loads .BIN images without any kind of special procedure. Whatever your problem is, I doubt it has anything to do with the fact that the image is in .BIN format.

(Edited by ExCyber at 9:47 pm on Jan. 10, 2002)

mal

Website
Visit site
I've read more polite requests for help...

Anyway, which program are you attempting to use?

darkwizard

Website
Visit site
I'm trying to convert with sega tool V1.02

I can get the bin selected... but I tried selecting all the options and none seem to convert the file to an smd.

mal

Website
Visit site
Try using BIN2SMD from here if you really must convert from .bin to .smd.

I don't think Sega tool is what you need...

darkwizard

Website
Visit site
no, im only 14 and i wasnt using computers in the days of dos:( I know some basics, but if its complicated I'm not gonna be able to do it... im gonna try now

mal

Website
Visit site
Quote: from darkwizard on 4:24 pm on Jan. 11, 2002

no, im only 14 and i wasnt using computers in the days of dos:( I know some basics, but if its complicated I'm not gonna be able to do it... im gonna try now
That explains alot...

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
Website
www.segaxtreme.net
uhm.. are you listening?

gens will play genesis roms in both .bin and .smd format, there is NO reason why it would play the rom in smd format, if it fails to play it in bin format, if it doesn't play the bin, the rom is fucked in the first place.