WHY MUST YOU INSTALL

Gallstaff

Established Member
OK THIS IS REALLY PISSING ME OFF! I just got home from a nice long bike ride and i go into my account in XP. then i get in and every 5 seconds a window pops up saying "ready to install microsoft money." I didn't ask for it to, i don't want it to, and i don't even HAVE microsoft money!!! Serously about every 5 seconds it will come up. I would change the settings back to three days ago, but i just got window blinds the way i like it and am also afriad it will delte some prefrences and save files in half-life.

what should i do?

Ahh the follies of winXP...I recommend that you take an axe to your computer and go outside to play some of the World Game
smile.gif

No, no real help here I'm afraid...

I'm sorry for being so pushy but i need help frigeen bad here, people! It's driving me insane!!! UNRELENTLESS!!! DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT TO DO AT ALL? I would REALLY like to not have to defrag or re-install.

May I make two suggestions...

1. See if it's a virus or Trojan horse, or of you have spyware on your computer. Download Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de

2. When the window pops up again, don't click it away. Instead hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to look at the running tasks and see if there's one you don't recognize that might be responsible for opening this window. (Continue with 1.)

3. Avoid MSConfig. Only by using RegEdit, searching for all keys starting with "Run", and examining the startup programs contained within them can you truly delete what you don't want. MSConfig will only disable existing entries without removing them.

This has been your free tech support courtesy of Daimon from classicsega. :)

And yes, I ended up making three suggestions, not two....No need to point it out to me. :-D

Well personally I was tester for every OS made by Mcirosoft sience 3.11 ... and in my opinion XP the BEST ... your issue about Money I can only say ... is it OEM PC ? ... must be (like DELL,Compaq etc.) ,,, well talk to them DON'T BLAME MY SYSTEM !

smile.gif

Well if XP is so good, why does an anagram of you name suggest XP gives you an ache, eh?

XAKEP => XP AKE

tongue.gif

XP = evil super piece of shit, i hate its networking, i hate the fact that it boots slower than win2k on my machine, i hate the fact that i have my swap file disk which is perfectly partioned to the right size have a 101 megs free becuz xp won't fucking realize its a swap drive and cries every 5 minutes about the drive being full. but i do like the camera manager and the built in burning proggy oh and did i mention the horrible start menu, thank god they included a way to throw it back to win2k mode.

some people have trimmed XP's startup, so it only takes 20 seconds. no kidding!

Here are three examples of services in XP that you may not need turned on all the time:

Automatic Updates

Used to see if there are any updates available for download. I choose to manually update due to the very long lag time from when an update is available to when WinXP reports it. If you decide to disable this service, it's very important that you check the Windows Update site often to ensure the latest patches are installed. Take note: Manual (and Automatic) update via the Windows Update website requires that a component called Cryptographic Services is running. Place this service in automatic mode if you do not wish to update manually.

Help and Support

Required for Microsoft's online help documents. If you ever use Help and Support, this service will be placed back in automatic mode even if you've already disabled this service. I would avoid as much "Microsoft help" as I can.

Messenger

Sends messages between clients and servers. Not needed under normal conditions at your home. This has nothing to do with MSN Messenger, nor is it WinPopUp.

For more information on Windows XP services and how you can deactivate and activate them, visit this website:BlkViper.com

Originally posted by Gallstaff@June 19 2002,15:45

OK THIS IS REALLY PISSING ME OFF! I just got home from a nice long bike ride and i go into my account in XP. then i get in and every 5 seconds a window pops up saying "ready to install microsoft money." I didn't ask for it to, i don't want it to, and i don't even HAVE microsoft money!!! Serously about every 5 seconds it will come up. I would change the settings back to three days ago, but i just got window blinds the way i like it and am also afriad it will delte some prefrences and save files in half-life.

what should i do?

Go to www.microsoft.com and download Tweakui.Tweakui will allow you to remoe the balloon tips.This should help.Later.

Is there a way to make Win2K load faster? It takes five minutes on my system. I usually power on my PC in the morning and go eat breakfast. Whn I come back it is usually done.

Originally posted by Rumata@June 23 2002,18:40

Is there a way to make Win2K load faster? It takes five minutes on my system.

Is it really a big problem? How many times do you have to restart the machine each day?

giving us the specs of your system might help

it only takes around 2 minutes to load on my ancient server box (intel p200mmx/64mb) which i usually reboot around twice a month, and around a minute on my system (1ghz athlon 512mb ram) which has loads of stuff installed

Back