Why?

mtxblau

Mid Boss
I was never a fan of the section being up, but it's back - so, as the question states, Why? It's not an indictment, I'm honestly curious as to the motivation of bringing back the much maligned (and for others, much missed) board...

Its due to the major decline in activity on the boards sense the ftp section was scraped. Its an attemp at getting the boards to be as active as they used to be.

Oh great
sad.gif
That seriously sucks... I was loving this place without it..

EDIT: I'm agreeing with Mowgli on the front page... I'm out until it's (hopefully) taken back down

thought we got rid of the FTP so we could get rid of the weeds and leaches?

seems like an invitation, to them.

I have an idea, on how to make it better, allow only regestered users to look through the FTP forum, so at least we can ban the users who abuse it.

about the only downside, is that some will gawk and complain about having to regester to see it. withstand them, and it will be somewhat peaceful.

Link: I plan on talking to Ice about making it so only registered users can see it tommorow, as im not totaly sure how to do that myself. Any other suggestions?

Originally posted by Link Hylia@Nov. 14 2002, 11:29 am

I have an idea, on how to make it better, allow only regestered users to look through the FTP forum, so at least we can ban the users who abuse it.

That was the situation before the forum was removed, or rather you had to register to access the board at all. When the FTP forum was removed, non-member access was allowed again.

Just a few quick things.

1. You may have noticed my name appeared as a moderator of the reborn FTP forum. That was done without my knowledge and has now been removed.

2. I've locked down the FTP forum, so you must be registered to read it. This may be my last act before I'm banned.

3. Notice the first time posters and people you don't recognise on the FTP forum? Sure, it's nice to meet new people, and for fans to discover (or rediscover) Sega classics, but when they only come out of the woodwork when leeching is to be had? I don't think I need to expand... see for yourself.

4. Posting and requesting FTP leechings is not what I would consider valid "activity" on a site. In response to:

"Its due to the major decline in activity on the boards sense the ftp section was scraped. Its an attemp at getting the boards to be as active as they used to be."

It depends what you consider to be "activity"? The quantity of posts? Or the quality of posts? If you want quantity, you've got it... I think you know what just happened to the quality.

Update:

5. Oh, and if you really wanted to download something Sega related, WHY DIDN'T YOU GO TO WWW.FTPXTREME.TK DAMNIT!!! That forum is dedicated purely to FTP sharing. Don't expect insightful posts, but it is what it is, and doesn't try to be anything else...

Originally posted by Mowgli@Nov. 14 2002, 5:29 am

2. I've locked down the FTP forum, so you must be registered to read it. This may be my last act before I'm banned.

good. makes newbies have to read through some rules, before they can see the goodies.

if I may ask, why are you being/will be banned? you seem like a fair and honest person. well, as honest as is average.

Yep, agree with mowgli again... all we're gonna get is posts about all kinds of crap like it was last time. This forum has been so much better since the FTP crap was gone. Can't we keep that shit at a seprate site? If you want your FTPs, go there..... this is pissing me off because the newer posts were of such a nice quality instead of filtering through all the crap that we used to have
angry.gif

On the plus side, 1337 is0z 4 all d00ds, I guess
tongue.gif

Offering FTP access for money is something I didn't think would ever happen here. Granted, money is needed, but it seems like self-perpetuation for it's own sake. If people were unhappy the boards weren't busy anymore, then surely adding more/better content would be a more dignified answer. The site recently has been a site tailored for FTPs (all the burning guides etc.), just without the FTPs themselves. To get traffic without the FTP section it seems obvious the whole site would have to undergo a lot of changes to bring in users interested in discussing games, not just downloading them..

Surely all of this must have been apparent when the decision was made to ditch the section in the first place.

Ah well.. It's not our site, we don't pay for it, blah blah blah. Fair enough
smile.gif

In any event, with the removal of the FTP, it left the hardcore sega fanatics; those looking for free games went elsewhere. Perhaps it'll bring back more traffic, and popularity - but personally this is nothing more than 'selling out' to the popular view.

But, it's not my site, obviously. I have no say in the direction of this site, nor hold any sort of power. What I do have, though, is the ability to hit that 'X' in the top right corner, which after this post I will be doing.

I too think it would be wise to keep it closed. If it were up to me I would just have a link to FTPXTREME instead. But I wouldn't worry about it so much right now. A lot has been learned from the last time and if anything goes wrong it'll get yanked. They've already flooded out a ton of leechers. With luck they won't ever check here again and won't notice. Don't abandon SX because of the FTP section just yet. See what happens first. With luck history won't repeat itself. I think you owe SX at least a chance. Blocking it to non-registered users is a step in the right direction.

how did people (new members) all of the sudden find out about the ftp section -- did someone start posting about it on other forums or web sites?

edit: i just checked not may newbies have posted in that section - the way i read some of the post it seamed like there was many newbies -- but what i did notice was that when i first signed on there were 4 people now there are 9 the most ive seen in months -lol- now ill bet with in 2 hours it will be up to 15 lets see my clock here says 11:16am i will check in 2 hours

but i agree i think they put the ftp section back to get back the membership they used to have - but i hope all those guys that bitched in the ftp gone thread don't comeback

but while its back my friend and i havent trashed the drive we had from our last ftp -ill try to get that back up again for you guys

edit: well i came back in less than 2 hours its 12:40 now and up to 17 actives -- not suprised this happened

if people are upset and think the ftp section will bring a bad element -- cant it be just ignored ? -- and just keep replying to the intersting discussions

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Nov. 14 2002, 2:41 pm

I never said it would be accessed for money, everything on this site is and always will be free.

OK, that's just what the now deleted news post said at the time. I take it back (most of it
tongue.gif
).

Everyone should stick around to see how it pans out, at least.

You know, when the FTP section was up, most of the "crap" that you people were all referring to was within the FTP section. I don't remember there being much crap in the General forum at all.

In fact, the only difference to the site (at least the general forum) since the FTP section was taken down is the decreased traffic. Now, if you don't like the kind of crap that goes on in there, don't go. Theres plenty of other stuff to enjoy on the site, which I myself will be doing. So giving up on SX cuz on of a section is the equivalent of not going to a mall cuz they opened up a store you don't like.

Just my 2 cents, Give it a shot, I'm sure it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Originally posted by googlefest1@Nov. 14 2002, 6:17 pm

i just checked not may newbies have posted in that section - the way i read some of the post it seamed like there was many newbies -- but what i did notice was that when i first signed on there were 4 people now there are 9 the most ive seen in months -lol- now ill bet with in 2 hours it will be up to 15 lets see my clock here says 11:16am i will check in 2 hours

Since the FTP forum re-opened fourteen new people have registered.

Seems like to me a sight very similiar to this one opened up about three years ago (maybe 3.5 years ago) with the sole purpose to rip and store every sega cd iso . I saw they had a couple of games and very little other content . The project seemed ambitious and the sy-op's dedicated . I never downloaded anything because I used a dial-up , but the whole concept made me think "wow what a great time to be alive ." So I came back and visited the sight every few months . The one day I came to visit , and the sight was down , I thought what the heck they have even expanded there scope to 3do and other systems what a bummer . What do you know a while later the sight was back up , this time it had some content . After awhile I had to register besause , I just had to post some messages .

Morale of the story :

Dont forget how and why this sight started .

Remember why you joined and keep it that way .

Personally I thought it was funny the way people acted and got banned every five minutes .

Back