Why?

Originally posted by Xavier@Nov. 14 2002, 3:41 pm

Personally I thought it was funny the way people acted and got banned every five minutes .

Now that you mention it, that was always good for a little bit of entertainment in the afternoon.

Remember "Yoshi"? lol

yeah some of these people kept making new s/n's but continued acting the same way . Some people got banned 10 times or more , somtimes just in a few days . But you could tell it was the same person .

I admit I haven't been posting much lately, I've actually been busy contributing to an open-source project, and have recently started dating someone, so that's taken up some of my time I would spend here.

I'm not found of the FTP coming back for the same reasons most people are already giving here. Even more so, I don't think it's going to solve anything, and it's probably only a matter of months before it gets pulled (again).

There was a point where we were asked to suggest stuff to improve SX. A few people had some ideas, I chipped in one myself... maybe they weren't the greatest ideas, but they were suggestions for improvement nonetheless. Yet nothing came out of it.

The most interactive, conversation-spurring content I've seen here were the Game of The Day/Week posts, and even at times it seemed a bit forced, e.g. "Sonic is the Game of the Day. Discuss". I would have joined in on the UT fun if that were possible (re: a real internet connection).

I get the impression that there's some sort of stranglehold on what content/ideas gets allowed, and while it's ultimately one man's site, I'm sorry, but if you desire an interactive community, you gotta let 'em breathe a little.

I have visited and enjoyed SX for several years now, one of a few I regularly visit. But my visits get fewer and far between because my interests ultimately lie in retro Sega games and the people who play them, not reading about board drama, FTP sites, or people insulting each other. I don't know of any other message board with so much tension between its staff. Life's too short...

I'm not leaving SX, unless speaking my mind here gets me banned, but if that's the case, I'd like to say I thought Mal and MasterAkumaMatata, also ExCyber, are a few people that immediately come to mind that set good examples to follow here.

The irony is, discussion of the addition/subtraction of the FTP section has become one of SX's most interactive elements.

I'd just like to add, if it wasnt for the isos offered at this site, a fair chunk of you would not have become members to this site.

Sega Xtreme is in essence a Nostalgia site. Think of it this way, Do you play computer games from 1993 on your pc still? I personally do, and i get them thru abandonware sites, which for the most part have consent to post the games on their respective sites becasue the games are out of print and not being sold on the "active" market. Sega systems *excluding* Dreamcast are dead system not offered on the market. Hence they are a type of abandonware. Anyways think of it this way, if the isos were bd, the site would have been shut down long ago. Sega after all sent letters to cease and desist on sites that offered dreamcast games via the internet, but this site received no letter like that to my knowledge about saturn and sega cd isos.

You all to me are two faced, one day your all for the ftp section and then the next your all against it or face being banned. I have and always will be all for the ftp section as it was the reason for joining this site, call me what you will leecher and all that internet jargon, but the section is back and you all will have to deal with it.

Originally posted by Ratamahatta@Nov. 14 2002, 6:03 pm

Sega systems *excluding* Dreamcast are dead system not offered on the market.

Just curious, what makes a system officially "dead"?

I guess there's still some DC games sold in Japan, but here in the US, I don't see ANY games sold retail (except used at Funco etc).

I guess its all based upon geographic location but for the most part north america doesnt sell any brand new or used saturn games in stores. I dont know how it goes in the US, but here in canada, there is still a fair bit of dreamcast hardware and software sold new and used in various stores. you can still buy dreamcast units at EB for $59.99C

To me, to officially pronounce the system dead, development of games for the system by known game manufacturers has to stop and the hardware or software have to also not be sold in stores anymore.

I'm not here to cast stones, but just from past experience most people are like sheep, easily herded to one side or teh opposing side. when the FTP section was going to be removed, the site had full warning and there was a debate much similar to this taking part, it eventually was deleted and some mods were ousted fro mthe site. We find ourselves in this same position and the same thing has happened, though most people who were against the FTP section being removed are all for it being removed this time around.

Personally I found the people begging for isos and rom request to be funny. I enjoyed reading the rebuttles to comments and found it to be a great part of the fun to SX.

Originally posted by Ratamahatta@Nov. 14 2002, 6:03 pm

I'd just like to add, if it wasnt for the isos offered at this site, a fair chunk of you would not have become members to this site.

That is too true. I am living proof of that. I remember the FTP board I mainly used it as a try it before you buy it. An example of this is when I went there and got Snatcher because I heard it was good. I downloaded it, was amazed and then I bought it. I gave up on FTPs for the Sega CD in the Spring of 2002, I went totally legit and bought used Sega CD games. Now with the FTP board again, I can try some of the import games (Policenauts) before I buy it, since I now own a Saturn.

I myself never came here for the games. It all started for me when I couldn't figure out how in the heck to get anywhere in NiGHTS (I got the game with no manual), did a search, and found a guide here. That was about 2 years ago. I don't post much, but I've seen a lot of crap go down here and it's sad to see this change. I always kinda liked one of the old systems, being that you had to upload a game before you could go all willy nilly and download to your hearts content. I donno... I've always believed if you truly like something, you'd be willing to pay the price. I've played Radiant Silvergun, and I love it. But personally, I would rather purchase it than waste days downloading it on the blazing speed of a 56k connection.
tongue.gif
Oh well.. I suppose it's near impossible to avoid the leechers. I applaud those of you who are taking a stand against it.

The whole time I've been at this site (little over a year or so), I've probably only downloaded about 3 games from these FTP sites.

I don't have a modded Saturn and I can't do the swap trick worth crap on my model 2.

I can, of course play backups on my Sega CD, but I own most of the best games already (Sonic CD being my favorite).

But many of the backups I do have I've traded through the mail with other people on the net. (A lot easier that downloading off of unreliable/slow FTPs).

I'm not really for or against the FTP thing. Each side has it's advatages and disadvantages.

It's kinda know the FTPs are there, in case I do want to look for something, but I'm not sure if it's worth the leeches and annoying people that pop up.

Sega CD and Saturn games are firmly within the territory of abandonware. They are no longer sold by their publishers to retailers and it's been many years since development for these systems stopped. Trading games that no longer make any money for their creators (and at best are a bitch to find used) causes no harm; in fact it does a lot of good.

The purpose of this site is a celebration of Sega's systems and the wonderful games that ran on them, no? In cases like the Saturn, over 25% of all it's best games were released EXCLUSIVELY in Japan and importing them is often prohibitively expensive. The point of the FTP section is to provide a source for these old games, so that more people (who otherwise never would have been able to acquire some of the better titles) can get to play them.

-duncan

Originally posted by computolio@Nov. 16 2002, 11:26 am

Sega CD and Saturn games are firmly within the territory of abandonware. They are no longer sold by their publishers to retailers and it's been many years since development for these systems stopped. Trading games that no longer make any money for their creators (and at best are a bitch to find used) causes no harm; in fact it does a lot of good.

None of that makes it any more legal.

To be honest, I think it's more a question of morals rather than legality. Most people probably break a law every day of their lives.

Here's my thoughts on it, for what it's worth.. If I believed that the FTP forum was only going to be used by people who would make the effort to buy a genuine copy of a game they downloaded if they enjoyed it, I'd be a rabid supporter of it. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case with sites dealing in ROMs and ISOs. I remember a guy who used to frequent here (naming no names) bragging about his 'complete Genesis ROM list', like he was a big collector, a big supporter of the games industry. The same with all the people who make one post here and it's 'whare cun I fid X ISO?' It's exactly that kind of stuff that pisses me off no end. They might contribute to the traffic of the place, but what point is there in that when they contribute nothing to the community?

Ratamahatta, your calling of the members here 'two-faced' is a fine way to start your more active involvement with the site, wouldn't you say? I came here for the first time about a year back after typing the word 'Sega' into Google and looking through the sites. This one had easily the best atmosphere of them all so I started to check back, and became a regular poster afterwards. The point I'm making here is that this place that so often seemed to pride itself on being a community has taken enough knocks recently,with all the in-fighting,to do without comments like that against the regulars here.

Phew...

Hmm 5 of the last 50 members who've joined have posted for a total of 9 votes.

That's surprising.
sarcasm.gif

edit: I meant posts, not votes.

If you read my message, I said that MOST of the members here joined the site for the isos that it offered. I didnt say everyone, nor did I name names.

I personally joined for the isos. I was bored with the games that I owned and I needed something new to play, plus I always had a hankering to play Dracula X for the Saturn after playing SOTN for the PS.

I'm not here to make friends either. If you dont like my comments, thats just too bad. its an open forum.

If you read my message, I said that MOST of the members here joined the site for the isos that it offered.

Ratamahatta --> Other people don't need for you to speak for them. Thats why we had a poll and thats why "Against" was ahead. Ahead in terms of votes, as well as in terms of "length" of being a member.

Nadius is right. Most of the votes that went "for" the FTP was from relatively new guys. While most of the "against" was from people who were here from the start and made SX the way it was. And on top of that, the "against" side was still surpasing the "For" side and going strong... That is until the thread got deleted.

Technicaly by vote the FTP section should be closed. And by no fault of anyone but MANAGMENT (Who's apparently for the FTP) was the thread terminated prematurly, so the results as the thread was deleted should still stand. "Against" was ahead, and as such the FTP forum should be closed.

If it isn't closed, then this whole poll was just a waist of time, since its odvious managment doesn't stand behind anything they say. How can managment manage when people can't even trust what they say!?!

whoa, sort of a mistake there, i meant posts not votes. I guess i was hung up on the meaniningless voting.

Back