Windows 2000 (DOS Config)

Cecilia Chen

Ban Hammered
Hey guys,

Does anyone know how to configure the dos box in Windows 2000, so that the file listings (DIR) comes out like Windows 98? In Windows NT the file listing is odd (reversed) from regular 98/Dos, with date first, time, directory, file size, name, ect.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

try:

dir /?

in Windows 98, it says:

/O List by files in sorted order.

sortorder N By name (alphabetic) S By size (smallest first)

E By extension (alphabetic) D By date & time (earliest fir

G Group directories first - Prefix to reverse order

A By Last Access Date (earliest first)

so, syntax would be :

Dir /O-

that is if they didn't change it.

The normal NT/2K/XP commandline shell is cmd.exe, but XP also comes with command.com, the DOS shell. I don't know about 2K, but see if you can find command.com somewhere in your hard drive; that should allow you to get the old behavior.

its still backwards with command.com under 2000 as well

dir /-n displays it as the old dos file naming in the usual order though (only with 8.3 filenames, which may or may not be a problem for you)

It is?
ohmy.gif

go into the Windows/Command directory

you will see some external commands, that you have probably used, like Format, Deltree, MEM, and Fdisk

or, it's in Win98, but should show up in 2k if you look hard enough.

the stuff that isn't shown, is built in to Command prompt, like CD, Dir, or Netstat.

Hey, I was curious and I tried all of those things and it doesn't work on my 2000 box. What gives? Doesn't the sort order only sort the row orders in which they appear but not the column order which is displayed?

AUGHH! netstat is NOT part of command.com - that's a TCP/IP tool coming from the Unix world, and resides in C:\WINDOWS.

Back to the problem at hand, maybe there's a replacement DIR command available for download and use under Windows 2000? Might be worth trying a Google search.

Originally posted by ChickenManDan@Nov. 01 2002, 11:17 pm

Hey, I was curious and I tried all of those things and it doesn't work on my 2000 box. What gives? Doesn't the sort order only sort the row orders in which they appear but not the column order which is displayed?

The suggestion megametalgreymon gave seems to be the closest. Observe:

dir in Windows 2000

dos_win2k.gif

dir/-n in Windows 2000

dos_win2k_n.gif

dir in Windows 98 SE

dos_win98se.gif

Back