Windows Expert Mode

Expert mode? Never heard of it. There is a safe mode, which you get to by pressing F5 as windows is booting up, but that's the only "mode" I know of...

Originally posted by Curtis@June 27 2002,23:07

Expert mode? Never heard of it. There is a safe mode, which you get to by pressing F5 as windows is booting up, but that's the only "mode" I know of...

For that matter, has anyone ever heard of a beginner's mode, intermediate mode, and advanced mode? I think you must pass those modes, before you can reach expert mode ???

never heard of anything like this

Closest I can think of is Window Blinds, to change the look of Windows, to look like XP, for example

but that's an external Program.

or it is referring to "advanced", which gives some options novices should not touch. Advanced buttons are located throughout Windows, mainly in the Display Control Panel, and MSCONFIG

Maybe "expert mode" means you downloaded the Platform SDK and you're fixing those irritating MFC bugs with SoftICE and Hex Workshop?
wink.gif

No, seriously. Such a beast exists.

A little while ago, my sister was having computer issues and she called a friend of my father's as he is a computer technician. He had her boot into expert mode. She's pretty adept with the puter and because of the problems she was experiencing, knew safe mode pretty well, and assures me 'that wasn't it'.

This was a while ago. But recently, my girlfriend's mother had a computer issue, and again tech support got her to boot into expert mode to attempt to rectify the problem.

Neither remember the buttons you have to press to enter it, understandably, because it has no application to what they'd generally do with the puter. However, I'd like to see what it's all about.

LOL MTX

its "Safe Mode" when a win 98 has issues you boot safe mode. ALSO the ONLY "expert" mode is called "Windows 98 SE" since the first one was buggy as hell. Now NT OS has things like that.. XP home, XP Pro, Windows 2000 server series.

98 doesnt. IF he said "expert mode" and still calls it that and says its NOT safe mode.... then id like some proof as im also a cpu tech girl =P

No, you missed the point. It wasn't safe mode. Perhaps I wasn't clear last time I typed it but:

--

She's pretty adept with the puter and because of the problems she was experiencing, knew safe mode pretty well, and assures me 'that wasn't it'.

--

Meaning, the problems she was having with the puter forced her to use safe mode pretty much all the time, because it wouldn't boot into any other mode.

She talked to this friend of my father, who over the phone told her how to boot into a different mode (expert mode) and fix the problem from there.

For all I know, it might not even be called expert mode and is known by some other name. But from the two people that I talked to, it isn't safe mode.

At this point, I don't even care anymore. I've gotten along fine as is. Why mess up a good thing?

oh. boy, did the screen look like this:

dos_startup.gif

with a blinking cursor?

That is DOS, been around for years. the cursor is promting you for a command.

this is known as a MSDOS Command Prompt

DOS is Disk Operating System, and uses commands similar to BASIC commands:

Dir

cd {dir}

usually, to get out, type Exit, system may reboot into windows. or ctrl-alt-delete

to get in, hold ctrl key while booting up.

select "Command Prompt Only"

or, just go through the start menu for MS-DOS prompt

Umm MTX this whole post weve been blind to something...

WHY post HERE when your friends are the one that did it??

Why not just ask them since they did? ???

Originally posted by MTXBlau@June 27 2002,09:28

Neither remember the buttons you have to press to enter it, understandably, because it has no application to what they'd generally do with the puter. However, I'd like to see what it's all about.

That's why. (re: above. This was my second or third post)

And jesus freaking christ, I know what DOS, Win 3.11, win95, win98, WinNT, Win2k, Linux, etc. look like. Hell, I know what the dos file manager (which wasn't in Dos 6) looks like from Dos 3.x (an OS around before a lot of you were born).

I've just never heard of this expert mode, and I've been assured repeatedly it's not safe mode.

hold ctrl while booting up

you should have several options:

Log boot process (Bootlog.txt)

Command Prompt Only

Safe Mode

Safe Mode Command Prompt Only

Safe Mode with Network Support

choose the one that looks the closest. see if it's anything like Expert mode.

I do believe they were mistaken. There is no built in Expert Mode. there are 3rd party programs that have an "Expert Mode", but that is only for that particular program.

If they can remember what it looked like, we could be of more help.

MTX you didnt answer my question. If THEY did it, why didnt you ask them, I mean you asked us. They should be able to tell you how it is done or?

Originally posted by MTXBlau@June 27 2002,09:28

Neither remember the buttons you have to press to enter it, understandably, because it has no application to what they'd generally do with the puter.

Please read that quote in it's entirety. Once you've done that, read it again. And after that, please read it one more time.

If it is still not understandable, here's a cleaner translation:

"They don't remember how."

Originally posted by Link Hylia@June 30 2002,01:49

hold ctrl while booting up

(removed trite information)

I do believe they were mistaken. <blah blah> we could be of more help.

(end same old, same old)

So basically, the general premise of the replies so far is:

If I've never heard of it (or know of it), it can't possibly exist.

That's fine, however, insistence that I don't know what safe mode is or how to access it is quite the insult. This assumes several things:

1) I've never had a computer issue that required the use of safe mode

2) I've reformatted the PC

3) I have only a rudimentary knowledge of Windows98 and no knowledge regarding any other OS.

Also, no one has given me reason to believe it doesn't exist.

I'm not quite sure how exactly I'm supposed to phrase my responses so that people understand, but I've exhausted other options in finding the answer.

Right now, I'm actually grilling both parties as to how they accessed it. It's really funny, actually, that I want to learn now as opposed to when the incidents occurred (1.5 years and 4 months, respectively).

So far, results have been inconclusive. At this point, however, I haven't really devoted as much energy to it as I had initially, because I've found a new passion: Grand Theft Auto III (for the PC).
biggrin.gif

OK, heres a reason why I don't believe it exists.

A google search for "windows expert mode" (or "windows 98 expert mode") reveals nothing.

True, this discounts the possibility that this mode may be called something different, but why would you(as in, Microsoft) call an "expert mode" anything other than expert mode?

Plus I've been using the various versions of Windows for years, and reading literally hundereds of PC related magazines (and Q&A sections) and I have not once come across the term "expert mode" or anything that even suggests a higher level of functionality.

Back