woot???????

lordofduct

Established Member
ok tell me something... ive been on the web for 10 years now and i still have no clue what the hell all these little slang things mean... lol, brb,roglsdjaofi;gsadhBF whatever.

the one bothering me the most is woot! what the hell does that mean, i would really like to know

I've been online forever too and I'm just learning a couple here and there.

I've almost caught up.

Soon I will be l33t 😀

I've never thought of 'woot' as a 'net thing, it's a phrase that seems to pop up in real life more often, for me anyway. I believe it stems from 'whoop' if I'm not mistaken. 😉

I thought woot meant we owned the other team but I wouldn't know. What I hate even more are excessive abbreviations.

Apparently it does have that usage, however, I don't believe that's the origin of the term. I definitely remember hearing the term before Quake ever came out, and most people don't use acronyms in day-to-day discussions. 😉

i did a search at dictionary.com, and in websters slang dictionary, it is an expression of hightened emotion... whatever that means, no really, pearl jammz was basically right with his answer.

thanks yall i did not expect so many posts over this minor question

I'm not sure, but I suspect that it's "what" corrupted into a hoot. If that makes any sense.

edit: just looked around and saw several claims that, including:

- it originates in sci-fi/fantasy/comic fandom (depending on who you ask)

- it's a corruption of "root" (i.e. the superuser on Unix and clones) used by hackers

These seem unlikely, as I can't find any use of it in rec.arts.*, rec.games.*, or alt.2600 predating 1994. 1994 is right around the advent of cheap public internet access, so if it was some kind of geek code it should have shown up before that. Popular use seems to start right around 1998 across the board.

I used to hear 'woot' all the time at raves back in the day, I have no idea when I first heard it, but it was probably around '94-'95. The first possibility you mentioned is somewhat plausible, but I highly doubt the second one... that just really doesn't make any sense.

I always thought of woot as being like a cross between "What" and a victory cry. Like if something is outrageous and/or good. I read the thread title, and I was like "woot!"

Back