X800

On the one hand NVidia has MUCH better linux support but the ATI is overall faster and has better image quality.

ATI also actually releases info to the DRI Project et. al. so that you don't necessarily have to depend on them for drivers. In practice however NVidia's Linux drivers seem to be much better, since they're basically the Windows drivers wrapped around a Linux interface (or so I'm told; would explain also why they made up a replacement for DRI). AFAICT, ATI's Linux drivers are (were?) kind of a side thing from the FireGL guys to support workstation clients.

'm still torn between both next gen cards. On the one hand NVidia has MUCH better linux support but the ATI is overall faster and has better image quality.

Why must you be so cruel?

If it's for a Linux box, I'd say Nvidia all the way. The ATi drivers tend take a long time to support the newer chipsets anyway. Besides, you're only going to be playing UT under Linux anyway (well, and Doom down the road), so I don't think the quality difference is going to matter that much. UT looks a lot better in D3D vs OpenGL anyway.

Hmm, Far Cry is working under WineX? I might have to try that, I've been wanting to give that game a shot on my LAN for a while. Unfortunately I don't think it will run very well on my Linux system (Athlon XP 1600, GF4Ti4600), but perhaps the lack of AI in multiplayer will make it go a bit faster. Does it work with the CVS version, or only the subscription version?

You'll take an extra performance hit for using WineX anyway, so I'm not sure I'd recommend running it on that rig. Though, I suppose you could always just drop the settings a bit.

Yeah. That machine is a dual boot machine anyway, but right now the Windows side is kinda screwed (cloned the Windows boot drive onto a larger drive, drive letter changed, changed the letter in the registry and it prevented it from booting up.. another fine example of why Windows sucks). I haven't bothered to fix it yet but once I do I might just install it from there... Wine is just a total pain to get working with a lot of stuff, especially since Gentoo removed the Winex-cvs ebuild. Although it does work great for rRootage and TUMIKI Fighters.

Thought I'd throw in this snippet from Dave Orton of ATI:

Originally posted by Dave Orton

We pursue a different model than Nvidia did with the Xbox 1. We did not go into the business thinking we can sell chips to Microsoft. We are providing our technology under a royalty model. Microsoft has worked to get the lowest price solution from a chip level. TSMC will be building these chips. Unfortunately I cannot provide more details at this time.

Back