xbox whistling dvd-rom drive problem

Okay, so I received an xbox a week ago, and now the xbox is already crapping out on me. When i turn on the xbox, the dvd-rom drive starts make this whistling sound that it never made before. Now when I play Jet Set Radio Future, the music skips or doesn't play at all. Sometimes the loading screen freezes for 30 seconds. Sometimes the dvd drive doesn't have the whistling sound at all. This didn't happen when I first started playing the xbox, and the only time i opened the dvd drive was to put in jsrf. The disc isn't scratched at all.

You say that the only time that you opened the DVD drive was to insert JSRF, that leads me to believe that for a week you havent taken the DVD out of the drive, you arent supposed to let the disc sit in the system when not in use.

Originally posted by Ratamahatta@Nov. 27 2002, 3:14 pm

you arent supposed to let the disc sit in the system when not in use.

What would that matter?

And if used or new, if you bought it from a store return it.

this is brand new. Does anyone know anything about the warranty on this thing? Would I have to pay for shipping to send it to be fixed? I guess I'll return it, but I bought it at Fry's and they are a bunch of stupid assholes.

About leaving the dvd in the drive, what kind of damage can it do to the system or dvd?

When you insert a disc into the drive, once the disc tray moves all the way in, the spidle that holds the disc moves up undrneath and through the hole in the disc. The spindle then spreads out to grab the disc firmly in place. If you have a sega cd you can see that the disc isn't held in place by anything but at the higher speeds modern drives move at the disc needs to be firmly held in place or it could actually take off inside the drive. So what's this got to do with anything?

Well if you leave the disc in the drive for too long the spreading mechanism in the spindle begines to loose it's strength or has a hard time releaseing. Additionally in rare cases the prolonged preasure can actually crack a disc if it had a minor defect on the edge of the hole to being with. Leaving a disc in the drive is not a good idea for these reasons. Additionally if you move the system with the disc in it you risk the chance of having the laser move and hit the disc, scratching the disc or worse the laser itself.

look inside the flap of the box (if you have it)

theres ms warranty info there, you deal with ms direct on the warranty rather than the retailer anyway

thats the case on the european ones at least.

mine also whistles when its reading the discs btw

Xbox is bs, i bought it when it just came out, and i got nba inside drive 2002, and it works fine for a few months, but then my nba inside drive doesn't work anymore, no stratches, no dents, whatever, but whenever it tried to load, it can't

Originally posted by ridah100@Dec. 10 2002, 1:37 am

Xbox is bs, i bought it when it just came out, and i got nba inside drive 2002, and it works fine for a few months, but then my nba inside drive doesn't work anymore, no stratches, no dents, whatever, but whenever it tried to load, it can't

You have a smart xbox. It will only let you play NBA2K3 like you should be.
biggrin.gif

Back