Yeah , another mod-chip question...

Ok, I have both the model 1 and model 2 sega saturn untis and this is my problem....I bought a saturn 21 pin modcip from Lik-Sang and opend my systems to find out this crap....My model 1 system has a 21 pin ribbon cable and all the other chips and stuff to make the mod-chip work but it only makes a load buzzing sound when installed properly, so I thought ok, so it only works in the Saturn model 2 system....I open it up just to find the place where I put the modchip is covered by a metal plate and daughterboard that says PC 80 Trap Saturn and the main board thats next to the laserisnt green with chips to solder to, its brown instead and has Sanyo written on it, plus there is NO chips to solder anything to, so my question is this, what kind of saturn Model 2 do I have? and HOW can I modchip it? I have spent too much $$ trying over and over to get a model 2 system to put this modchip into....I need some help here I hate swapping cdrs (Yes, its simple with both systems, I am LAZY to the max) so any help modifing either of these would be great......plus I modded about 20 ps2s and 30 ps1s and had no problem yet, so Im ok at soldering, so let me know what to do here, I emailed PLAY THE GAMES and they never ever email me back.....thanks.

Quote: from FAKK2 on 8:03 pm on Mar. 20, 2002

My model 1 system has a 21 pin ribbon cable and all the other chips and stuff to make the mod-chip work but it only makes a load buzzing sound when installed properly, so I thought ok, so it only works in the Saturn model 2 system.
Going on your description, the mod should work in that Saturn.

Are you sure you connected the signal wire to the correct leg of the IC without shorting to any others?

Also, are you sure that you connected the power wire to 5V on the power supply?

oh yeah, its just makes a buzzing sound like when you start up the system with no ribbon cable attatched and trhe sega lolgo appears, but the buzzing continues.....it loads up nothing, but when I take out the chip it works fine? and about my model 2 system, I changed my mind about swapping easy, its a "little bit" trickier, but it will NOT play any Imports no matter how you swap.... :p It detects the little change in the file I made with SatConv and goes crazy....unreal but true, It will play Baroque, unpatched with a BOOM 4 meg booster pack because its unpatched, but all my other Sat games that were patched go crazy in the unit.... no way to swap. :( Oh well...... At least I got Duke 3D and Quake for it with it....those are fun.....

Quote: from FAKK2 on 8:56 pm on Mar. 20, 2002

oh yeah, its just makes a buzzing sound like when you start up the system with no ribbon cable attatched and trhe sega lolgo appears, but the buzzing continues.....it loads up nothing, but when I take out the chip it works fine? and about my model 2 system, I changed my mind about swapping easy, its a "little bit" trickier, but it will NOT play any Imports no matter how you swap.... :p It detects the little change in the file I made with SatConv and goes crazy....unreal but true, It will play Baroque, unpatched with a BOOM 4 meg booster pack because its unpatched, but all my other Sat games that were patched go crazy in the unit.... no way to swap. :( Oh well...... At least I got Duke 3D and Quake for it with it....those are fun.....
Where does the buzzing come from? The Saturn or your TV?

You are reconnecting the ribbon cable, aren't you?

I was under the impression that the Booster pack let you play imports.

Oy. That's a sticky wicket. My model 1 Saturn is indeed a 20-pin. I counted to be sure. Well, I'm still screwed. I don't have any advice that you may not have already thought of, aside from scanning Google to see how people installed the chip on other weird Saturn configurations.

hmmm its strange its like my model 1 was meant for the modchip yet it doesnt work, and my model 2 saturn, is a piece of crap. Model 2 sat. wont play some games at all no matter how you swap them or anything you use, ie....Dracula X spins out of control the sec. it starts beieng read....and goes crazy and stops.....same with many others......but it works fine swapping with some others ie....resident evil....or any US game.....US games swap fine.... but japan games, spin outta control.....its wierd, and whats with this Saturn Trap thing blocking the main 21 pin ribbon cable? Does anyone else have a Saturn thats like this? with a brown Sanyo board for the laser unit with no chips!! and Yes I plug the ribbon back in presto it works great, put the chip in it and solder the wires and buzzing sound comes outta the speakers of my stereo system. not the Sat. system...... so all the chip does is kill my system. hahaha go figure....Lik Sang sucks from what I hear......oh well, anyone wanna buy a strange Sanyo Saturn? LOL!!

Last time I was down, I got my cousins 20 pin unit modded in Toronto as a gift. Just special order one from a store, and it should be ok. Unless they "play dumb" with you because they suspect something, it should be still avaliable.

I think the reason most stores don't carry it on hand is because WAY back in the day when the SS was new, loads of people got their systems done. And now since SS is old, no one needs to get their old systems modded since most people had it already.

I guess since the internet boom, a lot of caucasions found out about the pirate/modding, but by that time it was already old news and most Chinese stores don't need them anymore. The chips all the "Smart" Chinese stores use is a chip with no timing wire, and everything is built on board so they don't need to worry about model numbers and changes.

FAKK2 --> I have a model 2 unit like you, but I got mine done at a Chinese store. They use the type of chips which arn't dependend on the saturn hardware or sodering. Everything is built directly on the board and you just need power. A "smart" chip I guess, the way CC put it. About the PC Trap, it makes no diffrence with the Mod board I have and works fine in the saturn. I suppose the regular mods people have won't work.

Quote: from Trenton net on 5:07 am on Mar. 22, 2002

FAKK2 --> They use the type of chips which arn't dependend on the saturn hardware or sodering. Everything is built directly on the board and you just need power. A "smart" chip I guess, the way CC put it.
As far as 21 pin mods go, they are probably the same as the ones from lik-sang but have the missing components (clock crystal, etc) present.

I bought a white japanese model 2 saturn with the intention of chipping it, but when I opened it up...no chips on the lens board.

Lik sang is okay - the mod-chip I got from them works in both the Pal model 2 saturns I have (one has a 64 pin chip and the other a 32 pin chip). The one with 64 pin chip requires some messing around - mine worked when I installed it back to front! Luckily the ribbon is longer and just about stretches. Also, on the bottom right corner (on the back) of the mod chip there is solder bridging two of three vertical points - bottom to middle when I bought it but I had to remove this connection and bridge top to middle to get it to work on the 32 pin chip.

Quote: from ToxicTimmy on 8:13 am on Mar. 23, 2002

I've got the same type of model 2 - 80200A-50, couldn't find any modding info on the net for it either.

Are you taking region, 50/60Hz mods or modboards?

Because I've installed modboards in two MK-80200A-50 Saturns and they both had the 32 pin chip to solder to, which is well documented on the 'net.

Mal --> They are not the same. Mine is much larger, and it dosn't matter what CD unit you have. You just plug it in, and it works. So for any NEW system with chips missing ect, or something to prevent modding, it dosn't matter with this one.

Mal, my MK-80200A-50 doesn't have either the 64 or 32 pin chip, it's the same as the one described by FAKK2. I was going to buy a mod board but the ones I've seen wouldn't be any good. I'm in England by the way.

Any chance of seeing a picture of the mod Cecilia?

You've got me really curious now. I wonder why none of the online stores have this type of mod...

That's a real bummer ToxicTimmy. Unless you could somehow get one of these 'super' mods that Cecilia is talking about, there doesn't seem to be much you can do. :(

Hey all!

Mal --> Im not very experienced in respect to hardware so I don't usualy like to open devices without a need. By that token, im sure if I was to do a mod myself I would get countless "cold" soders which is really bad. In addition, my unit has a security seal placed inside by the Chinese store. The store says if the seal is broken, we will not warranty the mod or hardware.

I probably have the same or similar Chinese mod board but I don't have a digital camera. :( My board is the same, it dosn't matter how much chips are missing or changed to prevent moding. Just plug the CD-ROM cable in and it will work with any unit.

As for selling them online, I think most stores just sell general overpriced crap (ie. Lik-Sang, ect ect). A good example is the "Super Wild Card". $200+ for a really old SNES copyier is pretty lame. If you ever want really nice stuff, you have to goto a real store. Better prices, better items, no shipping, and you walk out with what you want, without waiting.

AFAIK, I thought stores in Pacific Mall could still special order stuff like that and install them?

(Edited by Trenton net at 3:28 am on Mar. 24, 2002)

this is why i am going to stick to my simple everyday model 2 with the round buttons. unless someone can tell me where to find these elusive mod boards then i will get me a japanese saturn.

most mods initially only had the power wire to solder. later, the crystal and 2 other components were removed, so the timing from a chip had to be used instead (to save half a cent per mod, I suppose). you can still see the positions for the parts on the modboard.

it should be possible to re-add the missing parts and get rid of the timing wire, but someone has to figure out the values of them.

What it appears to be missing is a 1K resistor, a 100uF electrolytic, a 74HC04 hex invertor and a 8.467MHz crystal.

I've looked into getting the missing components before, but had no luck at all finding the crystal. :(

Back