2 ribbon slot mod chip?

Does anyone have experience with these things?

To make a long story short I got the board about 4 - 4 1/2 yrs agoand promptly lost it in the big box o' Sega accessories. Finally found it this week and I'm trying to install it in a new V-Saturn that also had been rotting for ~ 4 years eheh.

The problem is this chip has 2 ribbon slots - 'IN' and 'OUT', whereas every installation guide I can find now appears to plug straight into the motherboard. I've gathered 'in' from the laser pcb and 'out' to the motherboard, but which direction the things are supposed to be inserted eludes me. Tried multiple directions and still no CD spin while the chip is attached....

Maybe it's the signal lead? I have it taped securely to pin 14 - is it different for these older chips?

Argh I'd just get a new one if I could find one eheh

any help would be great, thanks

Originally posted by mcpeepants@Sun, 2005-03-13 @ 07:14 AM

Maybe it's the signal lead? I have it taped securely to pin 14 - is it different for these older chips?
[post=131357]Quoted post[/post]​

Are you sure that it's a signal lead and not a power (5v) lead?

Originally posted by mal@Sun, 2005-03-13 @ 03:16 AM

Are you sure that it's a signal lead and not a power (5v) lead?

[post=131384]Quoted post[/post]​

There's a thick black lead I think is the power one, and a very thin blue lead for the chip...

I tried to take a picture of the chip but my camera is crap, should bring it to work and screw with the webcams there eheh

Wow thanks - ALMOST the same one (mine has the 2nd wire attached too)

I think I'm just going to give up on this thing (good chance it never did work, I got it in part of a trade from a not very reliable dealer way back when) and just wait for the new mod to arrive. Now if I could only figure out where the hell I put the s-video cable when packing up years ago... composite is making my eyes bleed on this LCD =D

WHERE DO I GET A MOD CHIP?

I got mine from James Lynch of Lite Speed Computers, but there's no guarantee he'll have them in stock.

Hey Ice, got any mods? :lol:

mcpeepants - I'll swap you a working, tested 32 pin mod for your mod. Send me a PM if you're interested.

v7 modchips have two wires... power and ground.... that's it. I've got a box of of them here (untested).

What is cool is they work (or can be modified to work) with 20-pin (MK1) saturns!

Originally posted by Alexh@Tue, 2005-03-15 @ 12:00 AM

v7 modchips have two wires... power and ground.... that's it. I've got a box of of them here (untested).

What is cool is they work (or can be modified to work) with 20-pin (MK1) saturns!

[post=131486]Quoted post[/post]​

Do some v7 mod chips have 2 wires and others have 1? I was reading that FAQ on the v7 chip and didn't see mention of a 2nd wire, nor would i know what do with a 2nd wire. Do you still have any v7 chips left and what can I do for one?

I've got some too, if you're interested.

Probably depends on where you live.

I'm in the US.

Mal's in Australia

Just lemme know if you'd like one :)

Originally posted by racketboy@Sun, 2005-05-01 @ 09:25 AM

I've got some too, if you're interested.

Probably depends on where you live.

I'm in the US.

Mal's in Australia

Just lemme know if you'd like one :)

[post=133434]Quoted post[/post]​

True, i was taking a look at your site and saw that your guide details how to solder the chip in. On the guy who has that FAQ a couple posts up, he mentions that he just has to clip the end of the wire in, rather than solder. Do you have chips that do that as well? If not, do you know where or the difference between those chips and the solder ones? I'm still new to the modding game but definitely eager to try.

Yeah, I haven't done it myself, but yeah, supposedly you don't need to solder the power cable. But soldering would hold it in there better if, by chance, you moved you console around a lot.

My chips should be the same as any of the other places.

Originally posted by racketboy@Sun, 2005-05-01 @ 02:33 PM

Yeah, I haven't done it myself, but yeah, supposedly you don't need to solder the power cable. But soldering would hold it in there better if, by chance, you moved you console around a lot.

My chips should be the same as any of the other places.

[post=133441]Quoted post[/post]​

I guess, basically, I want to know if both ends of your chips are soldered in or if one is a clip in end that just slides into a connector on the board? Also, how much (total) would it be to ship it to Florida (Kissimme to be exact)?

I have had people just clip the wire in. Basicially, you can possibly get away with not soldering to the system at all.

Shipping to anywhere in the US is $3 no matter how many you order.

So your total for one chip shipped would be $15.95

I have had people just clip the wire in. Basicially, you can possibly get away with not soldering to the system at all.

Yes you could get away without soldering, but at the very least I would recomend using tape to hold it down. If you dont move the system around much it shouldn't ever become a problem but why take the chance while you have it opened up? Mayaswell secure it one way or another.

Well Racketboy, you'll more than likely be receiving my service for the modchip sale. Can I guess that you'll still have some for sale in about 3 or so weeks? (Alternator and battery dead on my Spec V, so I gotta buy those first)

BTW, where do i check to see how many pins my system has? I know it's supposed to be 32-pin on my 2nd gen, but I was curious as to where you would look to find out.

You look on the CD board, here is a pic of what the 32 pin should look like:

32PinIC_Small.jpg

If your chip is square with pins on all 4 sides then you unfortunatly have a 64 pin chip.

Back