21 pin model 1

Gallstaff

Established Member
Ok, i dont want to get my hopes up but i'm pretty sure i have a 21 pin model 1 sega saturn. I opened it up and i just want to make sure i'm counting the right pins. Say i'm looking at the saturn from the front facing me. The ribbon to the right, do i count the pins which connect that ribbon to the cd board? If not, what pins do i count. If i do count those... then i have 21 pins.

the ribbon cable going from the CD unit to the MB. also make sure you compare your board/chip layout to the install instructions first, chances are that you might not find proper instructions for this type.. better be safe than sorry.

I know but which ribbon. I'm not good with this i'm gonna get a friend to solder it. The ribbon in the front right or the ribbon in the back?

well i dunno if mine is the same. It's kinda weird. the ribbon cable is sorta folded over and taped with a piece of yellow thin-clear tape. I'm pretty sure it came that way when bought. but any way, what side, if it's not a v saturn like that, would you use for counting?

YES, ON WITH THE QUESTOINS! i'm gonna buy a mod chip because i'm too lazy to swap anymore. Ok, the one that playthegames sells, is that the same kind as the lan kwei one?

Game Gizmo, PlaytheGames, and Lan-Kwei all sell the board with two wires you have to solder. So I can say they're the same type. However I don't know if the manufactureres are the same. You'd need to check on that with the individual companies. The chips sold by Lan-Kwei are actually manufactured by XGA Industries of China. If you order them from XGA they're $1 cheaper than going through Lan-Kwei. I believe the XGA website was http://www.xinga.com/ or something to that effect.

You could always ask Cecilia Chen or Trenton Net to get you one of those really common pass through mods.
wink.gif

Sadly DBOY is right.

Just for a change I was being sarcastic. They do seem to be hard to find for most people.

I believe even Cecilia Chen and Trenton Net have had to slum it at some stage and use Lik Sang style mods too.

Back