3D Modelling for the Saturn Environment

Hi, I'm new, and I'm an avid Saturn supporter (having owned and played on my Saturn since 1995).

I'm an aspiring 3D modeller and games designer (attending university in the UK on a games design course) and I'm curious about the rules and system involved in creating 3D models to be used in general 3D engines for the Saturn.

What I allready know, is that all 3D geomitry must be in 4 vertice faces instead of the standard 3 vertice faces. But I don't know the texturing theory, or the system in which the models would be animated or the format they must be saved in for use on the Saturn.

If anyone could help it would be gratefully appreciated.

I'm not a programmer or attempting to create a game for the saturn, but I would like to be usefull in the development of 3D based games on the Saturn anyone here may be creating and I'm interested in.

Modelling with quads is actually easier than modelling with tris. A LOT easier. As for the format, it just depends on your game engine and its capabilities. There are several open 3d formats out there for game devving that have exporters available for popular modelling programs such as max, maya, or lightwave. There may be some example format present in the docs, I'm not sure.

Originally posted by Aoi_Vulture+Wed, 2006-02-08 @ 09:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aoi_Vulture @ Wed, 2006-02-08 @ 09:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>What I allready know, is that all 3D geomitry must be in 4 vertice faces instead of the standard 3 vertice faces.

[post=144225]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

Actually you can also use triangles, in this case the 4th vertice will be the same as the 3rd. You don't have to care about that, it's done by the tools.

Originally posted by Aoi_Vulture@Wed, 2006-02-08 @ 09:54 PM

But I don't know the texturing theory,

As Saturn's VDP1 is a sprite based renderer, every textured polygon (quad, triangle or polyline?) got a rectangular texture image assigned.

It's width is a multiple of 8.

To span a texture across multiple polygons the usual way, the 3DEditor offers a technique called texture slicing.

or the system in which the models would be animated

I don't know about animation support in SGL. There exists some examples in which 3d models are animated, like AKIRA, AKIRA3 and FIGHTING. The SBL'S (MTH I think) library supports splines (to interpolate 2d and 3d data), which could be used for animation. So it would involve some investigation.

or the format they must be saved in for use on the Saturn.

There exists a tool called 3DEditor used for applying Saturn specific material properties. It's Windows version exports .C code for SGL library, while it's MacOS version exports .C code for use with SBL.

3DEditor is the last tool in the chain. Most importandly: the only way (we got) to get 3D models into 3DEditor is by using DXF files. This implies that you loose all material propertis previously assigned with your 3D modeler of choice. And if your 3D modeler exports newer DXF format, then you'll need tools like RB_SaturnDXF or 3Dto3D.

I've been working on a SGL export plugin for blender, but only for one day :blush: .

<!--QuoteBegin-Aoi_Vulture
@Wed, 2006-02-08 @ 09:54 PM

I'm not a programmer or attempting to create a game for the saturn, but I would like to be usefull in the development of 3D based games on the Saturn anyone here may be creating and I'm interested in.

[/quote]

Cool, I've actually been looking for people like you, before. I had plans for a handful of little 3d games which would need someone like you. ATM I don't know what comes next, so... .

Back