• Rise from your gwave!

3DO Emulation

Discussion in 'Retro Video Games' started by mailedfist, May 3, 2001.

1. mailedfist

mailedfist New Member

Any one know of any 3do emulators, or 3do emulation pages?

Thanks!

2. Captian Crazy

Captian Crazy New Member

ok there is a hardware one...but there is a card made by creative labs that lets you play the games on your PC but it requires a specal video card and CD-Rom Drive for software there is none because the discs are encyrpted meaing they wont work there was a emulator but i dont really remeber it...it was basicly a project to brake the encyrption.

3. TheCodeMan

TheCodeMan New Member

From what I can tell, the encryption has been broken. There is a utility called unCD-ROM12.zip that will extract all the data on a 3DO CD to your PC. It works as I've tested it, although I'm not sure what you can do with the data at that point. The utility, from what I can see, will not let you wrap it back into a 3DO ISO image. I tried burning just the data to a CD but the 3DO can't read it. I was hoping to take the audio tracks and convert them to MP3 to minimize the file sizes, but the audio is in a non-recognized format, even though Windows Media Player can play the audio???

(Edited by TheCodeMan at 8:28 pm on May 22, 2001)

4. Ex Cyber

Ex Cyber New Member

From what I've read about the 3DO architecture, it seems that the CDs aren't encrypted, but rather use a proprietary filesystem (i guess you could argue that there's no difference, but whatever). I've also read that direct graphics/sound/CD-ROM hardware access was (supposed to be) uncommon, and that just about everything is done through a standard API. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

---

Now that I've looked at uncdrom.cpp, it seems that the reason that it doesn't let you create a 3DO filesystem image is that several of the filesystem's data structures are unknown. On a related note, have any 3DO BIOS images been dumped?

(Edited by Ex Cyber at 9:41 pm on May 24, 2001)