3rd party dealers

i found (i think through a link in this forum) a page with saturn mod boards for $9. http://www.lan-kwei.com/saturnE/ . is this lan-kwei trading any good, does anyone know their reputation, has anyone dealt w/ them? any info would be greatly appreciated.

also, they have a vcd card they claim will work on ntsc machines. this leads me to believe they are dishonest, 'cause i'mm pretty sure only japanese ss can play vcd even with the card.

(Edited by cpl carrot at 12:05 pm on Mar. 4, 2002)

They also claim that their modboards (which are the usual kind that plug directly into the mainboard) are 20-pin compatible, and yet manage to have no installation instructions. However, that could be due to a misunderstanding with the manufacturer, as a couple other places have done that too.

also, they have a vcd card they claim will work on ntsc machines. this leads me to believe they are dishonest, 'cause i'mm pretty sure only japanese ss can play vcd even with the card.

Japan uses NTSC. I'm pretty sure there were VCD cards made for PAL machines; perhaps they mean that they have both kinds available, since other stuff in the listing suggests that they aren't talking about a specific model of VCD card. Also, I've heard that the Japanese cards will work just fine on PAL/USA systems with a territory and 50/60Hz switch, so perhaps they're just neglecting to mention that part...

Personaly I wouldn't deal with them. But then again Im not a very objective subject since I can go anywhere for Chinese stuff.

BTW: They are located in Sham Shui Po, and they don't have a store address!?!

(Edited by Cecilia Chen at 1:50 pm on Mar. 4, 2002)

lan kwei is run by a guy who left lik-sang, apparently.

they are reliable, from what i heard, but I never ordered from them myself.

thanks for the input, guys. if arakon says he's heard they're ok i guess i'll go for it. besides 10 bucks aint much to lose, i suppose.

They're not having the same problems shipping tothe US as lik-sang, are they? I would'nt mind ordering a couple of items from them but don't want to spend my money just to have it seized by us customs!

you ppl with your chinese malls are lucky i live in the part of canada where the only chinese ppl around run restaurants or have other jobs. there isn't a single place that sells those funky mod boards. Also Rat how much do you want for one of those modd'd saturns :) oh and i live in bc(not in vancouver :( #### eh)

I live in Toronto, well....the Greater Toronto Area......do you guys know exactly what malls sell mods? I have a sneaking suspicion that Pacific Mall might have a few somewhere, after all: they have everything.

But if you guys know of anywhere, it would be a great help ^_^;;.

Back