4m 13 in 1 cart, how do i use it.

Sega Saturn 4M EXTENSION RAM CARD 13IN1 .. I have no idea what it means 13 in 1, cus it does nothing, I have 2 of them. they dont show up as ram backups, they dont show up as ram expansiions for games. and it doesnt have any gameshark codes or menus in it. any ideas, any one with docs on this...

Thanks

Attachments

• ramcart.jpg
    ramcart.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 133
I believe they're only used for games needing 1M or 4M RAM cart games. Most of the 1M games will be SNK games, and most of the 4M games will be Capcom games. (Although you can keep the switch in 4M setting because that'll still work with most 1M games).

Expansion RAM carts like the above won't show up in the main menu. I have the official Sega ones (1MB and 4MB), and they both don't show up on the main menu. Only way to know that they work is to actually play a game that uses them.

But to use this cart, you'll need either:

1. A Japanese Saturn - because all the games requiring the this cart are Japanese games (minus US version of Marvel Super Heroes, maybe... someone can correct me)

2. A Saturn with a region-switch installed.

3. A Saturn that plays CDRs, so you can change the Japanese region code of the game to US then burn that to a CDR, which will allow it to boot up on your US saturn.

Now all this stuff I said is assuming that I got the cart correct. I don't have it myself, but I just recall seeing this cart somewhere on the web.

Thanks for the info, and your correct. I modded my model 1 saturn and it works when i put in metal slug, with out it in metal slug gives me a ram cart error.. I was hoping it was a ram backup aswell....

thanks

Yeah, AR carts are definitely good, but I was really disappointed in the fact that you couldn't save directly on to the cartridges - you can only save to the system backup ram, then move/copy the files only once you're in the main menu.

Oh, and this quote from racketboy's website is very true for me too.

One of my biggest complaints about the Action Replay cartidges is the fact that everytime you boot up a game while the cart is in the system, you have to hit a bunch of buttons to navigate through a handful of menus. I might not sound like much, but if you turn your Saturn on and off much, this gets old very quickly.

So personally, I only use the AR cart if I'm going to use the cheat feature (rarely), or for backing up my saves (quite often). Other than that, I usually just have my Sega brand 4M expansion cart in the cartridge slot.

thumpin_termis said:
Yeah, AR carts are definitely good, but I was really disappointed in the fact that you couldn't save directly on to the cartridges - you can only save to the system backup ram, then move/copy the files only once you're in the main menu.

that's because the way Saturn detects the carts it can be either Backup memory cart OR Import cart, just not at the same time. This is I believe how the PDS detects the presence of import cart in the cart slot...

dj898 said:
that's because the way Saturn detects the carts it can be either Backup memory cart OR Import cart, just not at the same time.
No, it's that it can be a backup cart or expansion RAM cart. The boot ROM function (read: every feature except expansion RAM in an AR), as far as I know, doesn't use the cartridge ID standard at all and Saturn just examines the beginning of the A-Bus /CS0 area for a header.

dj898 said:
This is I believe how the PDS detects the presence of import cart in the cart slot...
I think it just checks a blacklist of indentifier strings like "ACTION REPLAY" against various locations in the cart, but I haven't looked at it personally.

I never seen that cart, but since the link provided says it's 32Mbit, this is what I can assume.

1MB (megabyte) = 8Mb (megabits)

4MB (megabytes) = 32Mb (megabits)

So basically, it's essentially the same as the cartridge in your first post. (That is, I don't think these are direct-save carts!) Well, that's what I'd assume.

The only way to find out it to try!

Your correct the same as the other cart.. man I just got ripped off. I was told it was a backup cart and now I cant return them... woohoo

Ah, that sucks bro.

But if you're going to still buy a direct-save memory backup unit, try to secure the official Sega memory cart. Many of the non-official 3rd party ones use data compression and have a reputation to easily corrupt your save files - it happened to me a few times.

Back