64pin not working b/c motherboard or cd board

I've been thinking about getting a mod chip but have some questions for you experts. I have two saturns both with round buttons. One is a 21pin cable 32pin ic. This one doesn't work anymore. It just hangs on the saturn logo. The second one i bought to replace it is a 21pin cable 64pin ic. After opening them both up I noticed not only are the cd boards different but also the power supply and motherboard.

My questions:

1) What is the reason that the 64pin ic saturns have trouble with the mod chips? Is it the cd board or the motherboard?

2) If it is just the cd board and I put the 32pin ic board in the other saturn will still encounter mod chip problems?

3) I switched the cd board just to see if it worked and it does but I haven’t been able to do the swap trick. Am I crazy or did they change something on this board that it doesn't work? (Obviously no big deal if a mod chip will work with it)

4) Where is the best place to order a chip from? Are some cheaper or better quality?

Thanks in advance.

~Brian

Originally posted by ynk1121@Sun, 2005-12-04 @ 03:19 AM

4) Where is the best place to order a chip from? Are some cheaper or better quality?

Thanks in advance.

~Brian

[post=142212]Quoted post[/post]​

racketboy and ritualofthetrout both sell good chips. Ive had good experiences with both of them. Ritual sells them for cheaper not sure about shipping. His site explains how to install them on 64pin saturns.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/Raluminat/saturnmod.html

From what I understand putting a 32pin CD board in a Saturn that was originally 64pin will work with a modchip.

This would lead me to believe that the CD board itself is the cause of the problem.

As there are different versions of the Saturn motherboard it would seem that some systems with the 64pin chip that can be modded must have one motherboard or the other, but that is just pure speculation.

I went ahead and ordered a mod chip. When I get it I'll post if it works with both cd boards, just the 32, or neither. :bandit

I've been a bit busy lately and haven't had any time to play around with the saturn. Just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't forgotten about this thread. I'll hopefully have some time this weekend to get the soldering iron out and test everything. I had a few moments to look things over and some things i noticed:

The metal casing on the 64 motherboard obstructs the mod from going in straight.

There is a capacitor in the way of the mod going completely down on the 64 motherboard.

The mod goes in backwards (components toward the outside) on the 64 motherboard where the 32 is the opposite.

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. :smokin:

after spending 3 hours trying to get it to work, i give up. i tried the 2 cd boards, 2 mod chips, both jumper settings, and solding to the ic, and A to B. every time it kept recognizing both copies and original games as Audio cds. It plays the music from the games fine but won't load the games. i've had enough messing with it, im off to bed :sleep:

Back