A hypothetical question

Myname

Established Member
Every now and again I sit and wonder about this (don't ask me why)..

Do you think if someone made a really great game now for the Megadrive or Saturn and somehow managed to find a publisher etc, Sega would license it/give it their blessing to be released? I mean if it was a REALLY great game which anyone into retro stuff would love to buy..

If so, do you think it would be anything like commercially viable? Even though it'd be on the net in a flash, I think it could do alright if you think of how many older systems are out there.

Probably never happen, I just think it'd be cool if a company without the money to develop with ridiculous technology could be creative on older stuff..

Just a thought
smile.gif

Do you think if someone made a really great game now for the Megadrive or Saturn and somehow managed to find a publisher etc, Sega would license it/give it their blessing to be released?

I tend to think that they wouldn't, if for no other reason than that the relevant protocols and approval processes most likely don't exist anymore. However, I suppose it's possible.

If so, do you think it would be anything like commercially viable? Even though it'd be on the net in a flash, I think it could do alright if you think of how many older systems are out there.

Yeah, I think it's possible to do this sort of thing in a commercially viable way. You'd have to keep costs down though. Plus, if you wanted to delay emulator/copier users (assuming an MD game) for a bit you could always design your cart with a bit of odd hardware that would have to be emulated...

Hmm.. I just like the idea of someone setting up a company specifically making stuff for older systems.

Anyone up for providing the cash?
smile.gif

I don't really see that that's relevant to be honest.. I don't think the people who program emulators intend them to be a replacement for the hardware at all, I'd have a lot less respect for them if they did. Anyway, this is a software question, not a hardware one.

What is your point exactly?

I wasn't having a go, I was just confused by that. Why do you think they wouldn't? I use emulators for systems that I own the hardware of.. Try and explain what you mean a bit better.

I meant that... ok say that they were still making games for genesis. I don't think people would want to play it on an emu they would buy the game since the cost would be relatively cheap.

Aaah, so you're saying if this happened it would be a good thing? OK, it sounded like you thought it would be a bad thing.

I think emu's have a different role anyways.. I imagine they'd be an invaluable tool if anyone did decide to start doing something like this. Once one is released that emulates the hardware faultlessly (which for the MD would mean that every now and again you'd have to load the rom a couple of times before it worked, thus emulating not putting the cart in hard enough) it'd be pretty much the only way to test..

Unless ExCyber's flash cart had been commercially released and made him a millionairre by then
smile.gif

Back