A Perfect Example

Cloud121

Established Member
I'm sitting in keyboarding class right now at school, and I'm discussing how great the Saturn is. All the people around me are all like: "Nobody bought the DC and Saturn because they're worthless systems" "The only console that ever sold for Sega was the Genesis" Um NO!! I guess they consider the 10 million Saturn owners nobody. or how about the 7 million DC owners? they're like "If the Saturn was so great, how come the PlayStation is the top-selling console of all-time?" Without FF, PSX would be nothing. Saturn was the King of The Consoles in Japan until FFVII hit stores. I't biased people like this that don't give newcomers like Microsoft a chance. What do you guys think?

There were more saturn owners then dc owners?!?! Wow that's pathetic no wonder Sega quit the console market...

If you know any of them well, invite them over to your house and show them the light that is Sega Saturn and Dreamcast :)

Goto www.atani-software.com/segabase for some excellent articles about the history of all the sega consoles. They are lengthy but very insightful into the reasons why what happened to Sega happened. Kinda depressing, but a #### interesting read...

Typical, very typical.

BTW, where did you hear that PSX was behind Sat in JPN until FF7 was released? I've never heard that before. AFAIKnew ;), the only place Sat was ever the #1 32bit console was in HK.

I't biased people like this that don't give newcomers like Microsoft a chance.

No, it's screwed over DC owners that don't give MS a chance with those who know the hardware personally, but we must not forget windows "enthusiasts".

Quote: from slinga on 9:29 am on Nov. 19, 2001

There were more saturn owners then dc owners?!?! Wow that's pathetic no wonder Sega quit the console market...

No, you're missing the math. That's 10 million Saturns sold after about 5 years. That's about 7 million after 3 years. There'd be more DCs sold after 5 years than Saturns sold after 5 years.

Quote from Mo Threat:

where did you hear that PSX was behind Sat in JPN until FF7 was released?

My Response:

Hey Mo, from what I have read in the past its true, Saturn was in the lead in Japan, but didn't start to fall behind when FF7 was released, they started to fall behind once its became common knowledge in japan that the Final Fantasy franchise would be Playstation exclusive. Haven't you ever noticed before, where ever Square goes the customers go? For Example:

8-bit days: NES (Square exlusive to it)

16-bit days: SNES (Square exlusive to it)

32-bit days: PSX (Square exlusive to it)

128-bit days: PS2 (Square exlusive to it)

Yep, seams to me that where ever square goes, their is where the profits will be had. Their is a theory that I came up with about a year or so ago that also explains what systems are most likly to fail and which will succed in the long run, and so far it has been true sense the begining of the console wars, but its sort of conflicting this time around with the square=customers one, so I think ill keep it to myself.

yeah, square seems to be like the frengi rules of acquisition: (282) Business is like war; it's important to recognize the winner

Fabrizo: Square had very little to do with the overall success of NES and SNES. Look at it this way:

NES: most of Nintendo's games exclusive to it, plus Nintendo had very restrictive licensing agreements (i.e. if you wanted to develop for NES, you developed ONLY for NES), plus its only major competitor (the SMS) was marketed *very* poorly.

SNES: Nintendo exclusive to it.

Square is also certainly not the only developer people looked at for PSX and PS2; the early "gee-whiz" titles on both platforms were Namco arcade ports. Square just knew where the money was with PSX and PS2 is merely following from that, just as them being exclusive to SNES followed from their success on NES.

There may be some of you that don't know SquareSoft actually released a RPG game for Genesis/Megadrive its called Bahamut Bahant Senki and was only released in Japan back in 1991 (credits to www.Retrobase.com for the pictures)

and don't forget that they are making games for the underdog WonderSwan Color :)

Quote: from Mr Burns on 4:36 pm on Nov. 20, 2001

There may be some of you that don't know SquareSoft actually released a RPG game for Genesis/Megadrive its called Bahamut Bahant Senki and was only released in Japan back in 1991 (credits to www.Retrobase.com for the pictures)

and don't forget that they are making games for the underdog WonderSwan Color :)

yeah I knew that (afterall, you know how Square crazed I am :biggrin:) BTW, anyone ever played Parasite Eve or Brave Fencer Musashi? I've had those for two years, and discounting FF, they are best games on PSX :)

Yea, I have Parasite eve, and one of my friends had Brave Fenchier Musashi. Unfortunatly he lost his copy of the game, and My playstation broke before I got to finnish the game, I know everything that happens in it though cause my brother got to beat it before my PSX died. This cristmass when I get my PS2, then perhaps ill play through and beat the game.

Oh, and in response to Excyber: I know that square had little to do with the NES's success (if anything to do with it), and that square wasn't the only publisher on the SNES or sony sytems which people got the systems for. I was just trying to point out a trend in the industry, I didn't try to go any deeper then that.

I don't think Square made a huge impact on SNES sales since FFII didn't really make tons of people get a SNES for it nor did FFIII (since III came out near the end of SNES). They came out when RPG's weren't the cash cows they are now. I think what they did was help set the trend for RPG's to be more mainstream.

I don't think the final fantasy series really hit big until FF7. I only liked FF1-6 personally and didn't like the playstation incarnations as much. But now the FF series is definitely the big cash cow it is now due to its size and scope over the years.

kyosuke75

Back