About Saturn first person shooters

There are many great First Person Shooters on Saturn, like Quake, Exhumed and Duke Nukem. But none of those have 2 player splitscreen modes. I thougth about this and i haven´t found any first person games that has this. Amok is the closest i find, but it is more 3rd person.

Is there ANY splitscreen 2 player First pserson shooter on the Saturn? Maybe any japanese game has this?

I'm 99% sure there isn't. If there is, it might be a really really obscure and shitty game.

Prolly because most Saturn FPSes already stress the system a lot even in single player...

But even the Megadrive had fps´s with split screen (Blood Shot / Battle Frenzy for example), so i am shure the Saturn could do it. I mean, mostly racing games have splitscreen, and they seem to work fine.

I recall bloodshot. It sucked. It was fun BECAUSE it sucked, altough...

Well, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D and Powerslave push the saturn to high limits. All 3 use a similar engine (improved in Quake 3 - to support true 3D models) that has nearly no clipping whatsoever, and if you ever player Sonic R in 2-player, you know what could happen.

Duke Nukem has a netlink 2-player mode.

And then there is Doom and Hexen... Doom... well it was horribly programmed. It can't get even 10fps in single player, just imagine 2 player... Hexen has better framerates, but also it around 20 or something.

Remember, 2-player mode = twice the stuff to draw. You can pretty much cound with your fingers the Saturn 3D games that had split-screen modes. And in all them, the scenery and models detail got heavily toned down in split-screen mode.

Also... I pretty much listed all Saturn FPSes I know (is Death Crimson a FPS? I never played it - all I know is that it sucks guts), and noone of them has splitscreen.

I know it push the hardware lots, but some managed to achieve it though:

Virtua On had a superb splitscreen mode, with high resolution to! And loads of nice effects without any slowdown. I guess that could be made in first person also.

Independence Day had a nice split screen mode with lots of detail, almost no draw in and an ok framrate all the time. It had a little low resolution though.

Battlesport acctually had a first person shoot em up split screen mode, (if you ignore tha ball and just shoot eachother
smile.gif
)

Also, Off World Interceptor, Return Fire, Robo Pit, Crime Wave ans some others have nice split screen modes, so it should be possible. But i do undetstand what you mean, it really pushes the console.

Yes, Amok had a very nice two player split screen mode. Both Deathmatch AND co-operative on all levels. I am not shure how, but they managed to include splitscreen on the usual missions to, and it doesn´t slow down at all when there are tons of enemies on the screen at once. Amok uses a voxel-engine (very nice indeed, why dont other Saturn games uses it, or maybe there is some? Ghen War perhaps. I am not shure.), the mech you control is polygonal build, as well as some scenery objects like cannons. Mostly other enemies are sprites. It is a mixed bag, but works very well in my opinion.

Back