After Beating Phantasy Star IV...

Cloud121

Established Member
Once I beat the Godly Phantasy Star IV (Just slightly better than Chrono Cross makes it The Greatest (Just gotta level up a few levels, then it's on the The Profound Darkness)), which RPG should I play next?

List of RPGs Completed (In Order):

Final Fantasy VII (Sometime in 1998)

Final Fantasy IV (Sometime in 1998)

Parasite Eve (January 1999)

Brave Fencer Musashi (February or March 1999)

Final Fantasy VIII (Thanksgiving Day 1999, the same day I beat Ruby WEAPON in FFVII
biggrin.gif
)

Final Fantasy IX (January 2001)

Final Fantasy X (June 1st, 2002)

Chrono Trigger (Late July or Early August 2002)

Chrono Cross (August 2002)

Phantasy Star II (June 1st 2003)

Phantasy Star IV (July 13th, 2003 (Today))

RPGs own:

Dragon Warrior

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy IV

Final Fantasy VI

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VIII

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy X

Chrono Cross

Parasite Eve

Parasite Eve II

Brave Fencer Musashi

Xenogears

Phantasy Star II

Phantasy Star III

Phantasy Star IV

Phantasy Star Online

Shining Force (Currently borrowing it from a friend)

Breath of Fire

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

Shenmue (If you consider it an RPG)

Wild Arms

Legend of Legaia

Lunar (Pros and Cons):

Pros:

Sega Console (Mega CD)

CD Quality Sound

Part of a much larger plot (Lunar - Lunar 2, i.e. Chrono series or Phantasy Star series))

It's not Final Fantasy

Different from the Everyday Square RPG (Since Game Arts made it)

Cons:

It's not Phantasy Star

Uses 40 space of Mega CD Save RAM

Breath of Fire (Pros and Cons):

Pros:

It's Not Final Fantasy

Part of a much larger Plot (BoF - BoF V, at least I think, i.e. Chrono or Phantasy Star Series)

Different from the Everyday Square RPG (Capcom made it)

Cons:

Not on a Sega console (SFC)

Not Phantasy Star

Not made by Sega

Plays on a console that uses a Sound chip made by Evil ($ony)

Plays on a console that only has a 3.58 MHZ processer, as opposed to MD/Genny's 8 MHZ

Final Fantasy VI (Pros and Cons):

Pros:

The only FF game I own that hasn't been completed (besides Mystic Quest)

Cons:

Not Phantasy Star

Not made by Sega

Plays on a console that only has a 3.58 MHZ processer, as opposed to MD/Genny's 8 MHZ

It's Final Fantasy

An Everyday Square RPG

Hm.. I'm leaning towards FFVI right now. But at the same time, Lunar as well, since it's on Mega CD, and it's not an Everyday Square RPG. Hm....

Actually FFVI is quite good. If you liked FFVII, FFVI is sure to please.

Cons:

Not Phantasy Star

Not made by Sega

And if these are your prerequisites to play a game, I weep for the future.

Since recommendations are being thrown around, I recommend picking up the Oasis / Story of Thor games (Beyond Oasis / Legend of Oasis). As far as the ones you listed, I'd have to go with FF6. Breath of Fire is decent but not great (you're better off just playing Breath of Fire 2; it's sort of like Dragon Warrior in that the gameplay gets quite repetitive and the story is kind of incoherent and in the background for the first game, so it's not really worth playing all the way through unless you just want to say you've beaten it). Lunar is quite good of course, but its strength is more in the artistry than the gameplay. Do play it at some point; there's no sense in avoiding it altogether.
biggrin.gif

Sony Semiconductor and Sony Computer Entertainment aren't really the same company, kind of like Sega and CRI. Besides, Sony chips are used in the Genesis and Saturn too.
tongue.gif

WHA?! Blasphemy! You're saying that $ony has infected the Holy Grail of Gaming (Saturn)??!!??!!!!

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFVI was the best in the series in my opinion. Great characters, Gameplay, story and musical score.

I just wish it would be released for GBA

LUNAR god darn it... great game when it comes to story, addictiveness, and art.

other than that go for the shining force series or a personal fav i dont here much about on PoS is tales of destiny the first one. i love the battles. good game.

I vote Breath of Fire.

I've finished the game start to finish six times.

Five on actual cartridge (no fast forward or anything).

I really like the BoF series.

And my next RPG is... Phantasy Star III. I was gonna wait on it but those two magical words "Phantasy" and "Star" sucked me into playing it. After that.. most likely FFVI, then either BoF or Lunar.

Phantasy Star Owns Final Fantasy!

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jul 17, 2003 @ 04:06 PM

And my next RPG is... Phantasy Star III. I was gonna wait on it but those two magical words "Phantasy" and "Star" sucked me into playing it. After that.. most likely FFVI, then either BoF or Lunar.

Phantasy Star Owns Final Fantasy!

As a game, PSIII BITES. Just a word of warning.
tongue.gif

I'd suggest downloading GBA Lunar, or Pokémon Sapphire/Ruby. Or, if you're willing to spend money, Shenmue II, Skies of Arcadia, or Grandia II. Three fantastic RPGs from your little, white, friendly child of Sega.

Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II is supposed to be a far change from the original PSO, possibly worth playing again.

32-bit RPGs that are worth looking into, are Grandia (PSX), and Dark Savior (unofficial sequal to Land Stalker on the Mega Drive), Shining The Holy Ark (especially), Shining Wisdom, Legend of Oasis (Beyond Oasis II/Story of Thor II), and Shining Force III, all on our beloved Saturn. You could try emulating Panzer Dragoon Saga or any of the above, as well.

Also, just because something says "Phantasy" and "Star" on the front, doesn't mean it's automatically god. GAH, that's the same kind of mentality that your average Final Fantasy fanboys have. >_<

I've found that Phantasy Star III has it's own little charm that the others don't. It's got it's own story that holds up very well without much help from Algo.

If a remake were done that fixed all of the inconsistancies and improved animation and technique system, it would hold up well to it's sequels and prequels.

Whoa! Myau I like your Avatar taken from the Box Art of the PS Remake. Now if.. Sega will release it over here. After completeing PSIV, I'm tempted to play PSIII, then the whole series again from the beginning IN ORDER!. Although PSII and PSIV I' have to play on ROM, since I got save spots used up before the best parts. My personal favorite part of Phantasy Star IV was... (Spoiler Ahead)....

When you pick up the Elsydeon, and you see everyone from PS and PSII. It was great seeing Rolf again. Rolf is The Man! Just behind Cloud!

Back