ALL SATURN MODDERS - YOU MAY FIND THIS USEFULL.

Hi :D

I recently posted a thread which was related to a question regarding a pal 60hz switch.

I managed to get some pics etc on how to mod a 64 pin machine.

Last night i attempted to mod the Saturn once again.

This time i wanted the lid to be opened and the disk spinning whilst the machine was on.

As you probably know the moment the lid is opened the Saturn goes in to the boot screen straight away.

Having modded both the lever(which tells the machine if the lid is up at the upper left of the main pcb) and also the small grey set of wires (at the bottom left of the pcb,by the power switch),I did manage to get the machine running whilst the lid was open.

This technique however is flawed,having cut one of the connector cables from the small ribbon interface(bottom left of pcb) and installing a switch'I noticed that even though the mainlever which connects when the lid is shut had been modded the machine still came up with "disk drive is open".when the switch was used.

Having tryed for many hours and i came across a technique that is so simple its unbelevable. :blink:

If you want your Saturn to operate whilst the lid is open here is what i found out.

Inside the machine you will notice a lever that connects when the lid is shut.This is situated upper left and by the psu.

It is upright and has a metal backplate and plastick which surrounds 2 wafer thin peices of copper inside it.

This tiny switch makes contact via the case when it is closed.

Locate this switch,Then:

PUSH THIS LEVER AT 90 DEGREES STRAIGHT DOWN.FORCE IT DOWNWARDS.

YOU WILL HEER A CLICK.----THATS IT----THE COPPER INSIDE IS NOW STUCK TOGETHER.

Its almost as iff Sega had this desighn in mind??? :bow

Replace the case and power up.

Open the lid and you will notice the laser doing its rounds(OBVIOUSLY KEEP EYES AWAY FROM THIS).

Simply insert any disk you want,Reset the machine and hey presto-A saturn that is now spinning whilst the lid is open.

I can see this being usefull for people who want to run backup material and not use originals.

You can time the disk swap ok aswell as the lid goes quite high.

I have included some pics,the switch is from the first trial run after hacking the small grey wire loom at the bottom left of the pcb(THIS IS NOW NOT NECCESARY).

Hope this helps you out.

Ian :rant

Attachments

• hac_1a.jpg
    hac_1a.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 78
  • hac_1a.jpg
    hac_1a.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 76
And the game in action.

Spin,Spin,Spin. :thumbs-up:

Attachments

• hac_2b.jpg
    hac_2b.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 76
  • hac_2b.jpg
    hac_2b.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 75
P.S. You can still close the lid,It will not stop the the game etc.

If there si no disk in the machine it will stop trying and wait.

Reset and onn/off are used to play another tit :cheers le.

This keyboard is headed :devil for the bin.

It has a mind :eek:wned of its own when it comes to spelling and grammer.

Err...hate to take the wind out of your sails, but how is this different from simply taping the lever into place? Other than your way not being reversable, that is? What am I missing here?

Hi All :) ,

Thanks for the posts.

I tried to get the machine to pause the laser motor aswell as have the lid open whilst the machine was loading.

I think the only way this maybe possible is to hack the laser pcb where the motor is mounted.

I guess this would save having to take the disk out whilst it is spinning for the disk swap.

I am wondering if you could pause the motor of the spindle mechanism'would this make the saturn think the lid is open again?

Good idea with the Dust tape :)

Has anybody actually managed to pause the laser?

Cheers guys,

Ian. :D

Croft, what is it with you and making this overly complicated. Here's my two step guide

Open saturn

Tape down swtich

*done*

Hi Gallstaff,

Thanks for the post.

I originally wanted to stall the laser whilst the lid wa open at the key point that it reads the security ring at the end of the cd.

Apologies if i overcomplicait things.

I havent been a member of Sega Extreme very long and didnt know there was so much cool info already on the site.

I was wondering if anybody had actually managed to take an original game cd and then manually cut the security ring from the edge,then apply this to a modified backup.?

I tryed many times with placing cd on top and underneath an origianl and the laser read the backup fine,But couldnt focus on the security ring.

I used the sharpest blades that i could.

Cutting backups from the edge using sharp scissors is fine,But cutting out the centre is a complete nightmare :blink:.I only did this with a blade and flat screwdriver.

The reason i did this to the centre of the cd was beacuse it was then level when placing on the spindle (use 2 and its to high and doesnt fit).

Any thoughts,Greatly apreshiated.

Thankyou,

Ian. :smokin:

Back