Animatrix

I just saw the first installment of the Animatrix and I'd think it would interesting to start an intelligent discussion on the piece and the Matrix in general. Being a Film Studies Major at a very liberal college, my narrative analysis will be based mainly on the Marxist view, for obvious reasons. Later, I would like to discuss some of the stylistic aspects of the Matrix and Animatrix as the installments come out.

Anyone with even a vague knowledge of Communism, Marxism, and the Russian Revolution will immediately see the "rise of the working class" theme in the short: robots, who do all the labor intensive work, rise up against their masters. Stuff we're all familiar with in Sci Fi, or at least recent Sci Fi. The idea of robots or artificial intelligence deserving moral consideration like human beings is also well-trodden ideas (the book "The Positronic Man" comes to mind). But then the narrative takes an interesting course which could only be described as "Jewish."

The Jewish community has always been a fringe minority in society since the rise of Christianity, perhaps before. And much like the robots in the Animatrix, they seek their own homeland. Hence, the story seems to rise towards a marxist victory but instead creates a separtist movement that eventually tries to move back towards peace (the UN conference). Now, as we know from the Matrix, the machines win and enslave humanity. Here are my predictions as to why the robots take on the role of their human oppressors:

1. Humanity launches some horrible catastrophe on the robots, thus creating an everlasting hatred and and vengeful attitude towards the humans.

2. Some subversive robot, probably akin to Hitler, will rise and convince the robot population to rise against humanity.

3. Some virus or widespread malfunction will cause the robots to become malignant.

Or any combination of the three. Again, please forgive the rambling aspect of this thread. I'm just writing down ideas as they come. I'd like to hear some your comments on the piece. Again, this is the first of the series so I don't know what's going to happen next.

BTW-- I'm not the biggest fan of the Matrix. I find the score to be annoying and the editing's not spot on. I've always thought the Wachowski Brothers had great concepts but poor execution (I'd think the storyboards for the Matrix would be more enjoyable than the movie itself). But over the years, I've come to respect the fact that they are trying to make something a little different from the rest of the fare, even if it isn't the best. And their generic approach to the subject makes it easy to analyze.

I actually read your whole post
smile.gif
and it's an unexpected take on the movie and a very interesting read. Unfortunately I couldn't begin to contribute anything to it (I'm barely familiar with the Jewish community, for example).

However, I must ask - and I intend no pun with this -

WHAT IS THE ANIMATRIX?

The animatrix is a series of animated shorts that are "prequels" to the storyline of the Matrix. Go to

www.whatisthematrix.com

to find out more. These shorts are directed and animated by some of Japan's finest. They're also really good.

I just watched the first ep, and must say I was very impressed. Not just by the art and animation, but by the narative as well. Ill be keeping an eye on this one.

Some day, long past any of are lives, when robots are acualy common place, I think somthing like what happened in that first ep would actualy be a real possibility (an uprising that is). Although some of you may think thats crazy, whos to say that a day where computers can think and act for themselfs can't and/or won't happen?

Well, whenever we have robots that advanced, there'll be prolly a human movement for their rights.

People develop strong bonds with unanimated objects already, and always did in the past. That might become damn easier when those objects start talking back and show signs of intelligence.

On the other side, even if robots comes to develop emotional behavior, there'll be people who will loathe them, no matter how "human" they are. Mankind did such thing with their own kind in the past, who knows how bad it'll get with non-human begins, worse, artificially-created beings.

One thing is for sure, our notions of "life" and "intelligence" will be in check when such day comes. And I'm sure there'll be human-like robots out there someday, even if many scientists states it's uneccessary to do so: people will build them because they *want* to build them someday.

A very fitting moment to mention the movie, "A.I. - Artificial Intelligence." While a bit long and tedious to watch IMHO, it does depict some interesting situations regarding humans' reactions to their robotic counterparts.

Originally posted by Taelon@Feb. 07 2003, 5:26 pm

A very fitting moment to mention the movie, "A.I. - Artificial Intelligence." While a bit long and tedious to watch IMHO, it does depict some interesting situations regarding humans' reactions to their robotic counterparts.

Bleh, A.I. was literally child's play - an immature viewpoint into a serious topic. Have you ever read the original story "Super Toys Last All Summer" by Aldiss? If you want to watch a movie that legitimately addresses the question, see "Blade Runner." Better yet, read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by PKD. Hollywood rarely has the courage to express deep and valid questions, instead inundating us with faux-profundities to keep us "satisfied."

God, that ending.....why, why?

Back