Another I'm building a computer topic

Dude the case you want is ass. It's expensive and doesnt even look that good. It cant be that much more efficiant than the funky ass one alexvrb reccomend. I seriously almost bought that one but then i got one from somewhere else.

It's not really funky, its basically a straightforward big-black-ATX case like the Chenming/Enermax one. They simply spiced it up a little with a window and a cool front. Otherwise it'd be identical to my friend's case, which is straight black and dull. But yeah, the case he picked out was both expensive AND ugly. The only reason I figured he wanted it was because it was aluminum and had a window. So I recommended the Scorpio 668 series of cases, as they have both and are better looking. The Scorpio 868 is the same thing but cheaper because its not solid aluminum (which is fine by me). Here's a page that shows those models and other raidmax cases - http://www.buyraidmax.com/shop/catalog/catalog.php/cPath/26

Maybe he'd like the silver one. I still think the blue one would be best long-term, but I just like dark blue anyway. It's really a good case for the money, well the aluminum one gets a bit pricey, but not nearly as bad as that other ugly case. Here's a quick review on the Scorpio 668, in this case the silver one but color doesn't affect anything but appearance obviously. http://www.thetechzone.com/display.php?i=282&p=1

As far as your PSU choice, that is probably overkill, but it'd certainly work. Your link to your memory is (as of right now) the same link... so they both point to the PSU. But again, any brand-name DDR400 is going to let you run your memory in sync with a FSB of either 333 or 400 depending on whether you plan on performing that OC. Timings are the other issue, but ultra-fast memory can be very costly and generally not worth it when you have other components that need attention more, like CPU or GPU. Though, if you care to know what I'm talking about, an example would be the "GeIL Golden Dragon DDR 256MB 400MHz Model GD3200-256 Retail" on newegg. It has CL 2.0 and 6-3-3 1T. That's pretty fast. But again, its overkill if you can get something comparable for cheaper, just avoid CL 3.0 if you can, I didn't even realize they had slow CL 3 DDR modules until recently.

I fixed that link above, to the memory. I'm going to buy a second stick of that in a few months after getting more money.

Thanks for the review, thats enough to convince me to switch. But the power supply that is included--is it any good? I'd like to knock that expensive power supply off of my list too.

*EDIT* I'm going to buy the thermaltake power supply and sell the one in the case. Almost all the reviews at NewEgg complain about that PSU, and I can't find a store that sells it w/o the power supply. Since I saved some money getting a different case I'm also going to get an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. Thanks everyone for all your help, now I just have to make some more money. :damn:

If you want to build THE comp, consider this site.

(I particulary like this item.)

:cool:

BTW : Does someone here is geek enough to use this kind of things ? (no, I'm not)

No problem man. If you look at the bottom of the str8buy link I had earlier, they let you choose options. For like $12 you can upgrade to an Extremo 550 watt PSU. Or you could just buy the one you were going to and sell the 420 off like you said. Again, its your decision. I'm glad you were able to get that 9600 Pro, it's a far cry above a GF2 for games, and pretty solid for the money.

The RAM you picked out is fine. When you eventually pick up a second stick of that, you can enable dual-channel mode on your board and get a lil extra speed. Happy building, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask away!

Reinhart: I might use some of their stuff (some of it is just silly or overkill), but that doesn't mean I'm going to pay for it. Besides, IMO a good looking computer with good parts doesn't need neon lights, its all just extra pretty. I'd rather take the money and have them go "You bastard, you've got an Athlon64 FX clocked at WHAT??" than have them say "Wow, that is one bright shiny clear acrylic computer! Hurts just to look at it. Oooh cigarette lighter, lets coat the inside of your PC with tar!!!" for the same money. :D But yeah, if I had lots of money I might be inclined to do a little of both. Their cooling kit is just silly though, if I wanted to go that far, I'd go watercooling. I'm happy with a good heatsink with a TMD fan right now though, and so is my wallet. Their cooling HD silencer looks a like the Zalman in design. Probably cheaper, don't know if its quite as effective, but probably gets the job done.

One thing about clear cases, I like them, but they don't conduct heat very well. I'd stick with metal for the time being, methinks.

I probably won't get all these parts for another 6-7 weeks, because I don't want to empty my bank account to pay for them. But when that time comes, I may start this topic up again. Thanks again for all the help. :bow

PS- Sadly, I actually considered buying one of those cigarette lighters :drool:

Originally posted by mountaindud@Oct 19, 2003 @ 10:54 AM

I fixed that link above, to the memory. I'm going to buy a second stick of that in a few months after getting more money.

Thanks for the review, thats enough to convince me to switch. But the power supply that is included--is it any good? I'd like to knock that expensive power supply off of my list too.

*EDIT* I'm going to buy the thermaltake power supply and sell the one in the case. Almost all the reviews at NewEgg complain about that PSU, and I can't find a store that sells it w/o the power supply. Since I saved some money getting a different case I'm also going to get an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. Thanks everyone for all your help, now I just have to make some more money. :damn:

The radeon 9600pro is crap get a 9500pro, they're better.

I've said this before in another thread, though there I listed prices I've seen as well. I'm too lazy to do that again. The 9600 Pro is a respectable performer and an excellent overclocker. It is also cheap enough. The 9500 Pro, by contrast, is now expensive and harder to get your hands on. I've checked. If it was more readily available and better priced, I'd agree. But calling the 9600 Pro "crap" in favor of a 9500 Pro is very odd. Its hardly crap when you're comparing it to a "mighty 9500 Pro".

That being said, if you're waiting 6-7 weeks, much of that hardware would still be a viable choice. However, you might need to revise CPU and GPU choices. The 9600 XT might be a good choice by then, heck the Volari GPUs should be on sale by then, they might have a good price/performance (waiting for real reviews and not manufacturer numbers). I know that with the Black Diamond process, the 9600 XT is an even better overclocker than the 9600 Pro, and that's saying a lot.

I've heard the 9500 Pro is better, but Newegg didn't have it; would I even notice a difference?

I'm hoping procesors go down in price like you said, but I kind of doubt there will be a significant drop. I've opted for the Barton 2600+ since it is only six bucks more than the 2500+. Yet the 2800 is like eighty bucks more... What's the deal with that?

You would notice a difference and if you know how the 9500pro can OC pretty good. slightly under 9700 speeds on stock cooling. The 9600pro is an okay card like alex said but look around see if you can find that 9500pro it's a fantastic card. I ran UT 2003 on it full shit turned up and it looked like heaven

Of course I run ut 2k3 turned almost all the way up on my radeon 64mb ddr vivo agp (equivalent to about a 7200), so that's hardly a good comparison. I agree though, you'll get more bang for your buck wiht a 9500 pro.

The best and only price I could find on the 9500 Pro was $220. I really don't care enough to search for a good price when the 9600 Pro is already decent. I'd rather wait for the even better ATI cards to go down in price.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Oct 23, 2003 @ 09:52 PM

Of course I run ut 2k3 turned almost all the way up on my radeon 64mb ddr vivo agp (equivalent to about a 7200), so that's hardly a good comparison. I agree though, you'll get more bang for your buck wiht a 9500 pro.

Try checking prices before making a statement on "best bang for buck". I've never said the 9600 Pro was a better performer. However, it is much cheaper, more readily available, and a good overclocker - as it was produced on a smaller process. You should be able to get it up to at least 500Mhz core, memory speed will of course depend on what the manufacturer used.

Everything I've seen about the new XT series (of 9600's) is good. 130 nanometer fabrication (lower heat dissipation, lower power requirements), higher stock clock speeds (greater performace - perhaps upto 9500 Pro levels) and a thermal monitoring diode (safely overclock the bugger without frying the chip).

If you are in a budget to mid-rage level of g/c, get one of these. I will be...eventually.

Actually the new XT series of cards have dynamic overclocking built in. So as long as the temps stay down the drivers will boost the clock speeds up. If they detect that the temp is going too high they clock back down. Kinda neat actually.

I dunno - I'm a little skeptical about that feature. I wouldn't want my card to suddenly cut the clockrate at a point in a game when it needs it the most.

I'm sure that you can enable/disable this (I forget what marketing term they slapped on it) and use standard tools to overclock it like any other Radeon. I'd probably do this, because although its a cool feature, I'd rather know the limits of the card. That way I could run it at a constant speed, so that in very intense 3d situations it doesn't get too hot and throttle the clock down a bit. The only reason I say this is because it makes it harder to gauge what settings to use in a game. It might fly in 1024x768 with 8xAF most of the time, but the minimum FPS can often determine playable/unplayable.

That said, yes by the time he buys stuff, an XT might be an option. The Black Diamond process makes it a pretty good overclocker even after the increased core speed over the older 9600 Pro. Although I must repeat that you could easily get a 9600 Pro up to stock 9600 XT speeds, and then some. But after that, a 9600 XT could probably go 75-100Mhz higher core, but then it'd be pushing its limits. I suppose in either case you could always equip it with like an Iceberq4 or something. There again might be other totally new options, too. Heck, the GF FX 5700 is much more of an improvement over the 5600 series than the name implies, that could be an option depending on prices.

I found a cheaper case (Thermaltake Xaser II A5000C Plus). It looks like the Scorpio 668 and has a similar cooling setup, but this case doesn't have a crappy PS, it comes with all the fans, and it come with a Volcano 7. Does anyone have any reviews for it, because I couldn't find any. Oh and it's steel too, but I'm starting to think that alluminum/steel doesn't really matter if you've got enough case fans.

There is a difference. But its not a big difference, that's why I'm using a steel case. They are way cheaper. However, that case you listed is not what I'd call cheap, as it comes with *no PSU*. The case would still work fine. But, now that you've decided steel would be fine, your range of options for affordable cases has opened up tremendously. Also, it says "built-in Hardcano 7", not Volcano 7. I believe this refers to the fan bus/monitoring unit.

You can sometimes buy cases outside of newegg for less, newegg doesn't always have the best price. Don't get me wrong, I love newegg, but I'm not going to pay $20 more just so I can buy a case from them. Anyway, at newegg alone there are other cases to consider. There's the Enermax X- Point series, Aspire "Chieftec" Style cases, and Chieftec cases. I also like Aspire Turbo Case series (with quiet dual fan 420watt PSU), but its aluminum and therefore more expensive - though not by much and it comes with a PSU that would more than suit your needs. I love the HD mounting system a lot. Also, the Scorpio 868 is an inexpensive steel version of the 668, though newegg only carries the 668. The sale at str8buy is over apparently, you could have upgraded the PSU at their site by paying the difference... instead of buying one and then getting rid of the PS. Also, I don't see anything in your plans that would require a sick PSU.

I really like the Aspire Turbo Alien thing. But I don't trust those generic PSUs--is there really anything to worry about there?

Back