Any thoughts on Hard Drive coolers?

racketboy

Established Member
Wondering if I should get one for my server project?

Anybody know much about them or have experience?

My HD is a 7200RPM 120GB Seagate Barracuda IV

Also not sure if my small profile case would make it hard to get airflow

BTW, the only fan right now is for the PSU

I'm looking at this one

Waste of money. They really don't do that much and generally upset the internal airflow to actually make cooling worse. A couple case fans providing constant airflow will be more the sufficient. Heck if you can get a case fan infront of the hd so that it's air goes over and under the hd you will get more benefit than this thing.

My old maxtor 30gb 7200 drive was constantly on for over 3 years and it has had absolutely no problems.

I use a couple in my pc. There are generally 2 types, the first type makes it take upa 5.25" bay... not an option for your case. The other type attachs to teh bottom of the drive, not really sure how well those work... though I have one in my pc, the problem with those are that they may not fit in a standard internal hdd slot. Another option might be to ghetto rig up a 80mm fan to it with duct tape and stuff. In any case, I think they make a difference, I've got 3 hard drives in my pc... and they get REALLY hot... (though not as hot as they used to).

yeah the problem is I am limited on space

for you that don't know what it looks like inside,

Here is a pic minus the floppy and slim CD in the top drive bays (not actually my PC)

I just don't want my drive to die on me prematurely

How bout a PCI slot fan?

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Jul 21, 2003 @ 07:19 PM

Why dont you just get a new case that thing looks old i mean is that AT?

I acutally like the case for its purpose -- esp if my case modding goes well
smile.gif

If you can suggest a case that's cheap and doens't require me to change the mobo and looks simple and is a small desktop lemme know

those slot fans don't do anything except make noise lol. Stay away from those, if need be... you could cut a hole out in the back and attach a fan that way... getting a fan in the front somehow would be good, but doesn't seem likely in your case. I'd say your best bet to add fans would probably be case fans on the back.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Jul 21, 2003 @ 07:54 PM

those slot fans don't do anything except make noise lol. Stay away from those, if need be... you could cut a hole out in the back and attach a fan that way... getting a fan in the front somehow would be good, but doesn't seem likely in your case. I'd say your best bet to add fans would probably be case fans on the back.

I think the only chance of that is a PCI slot fan

how 'bout those?

I'll have to see which way the fan would blow though --- I'm thinking it would just blow down into the bottom of the case

another idea.... how about a heatsink for the HD???

slot fans are ass. really, baracuda 5 is the steamiest drive. i would touch an ibm 60gxp before a barcuda 5 and it's "silencing layer (super hot layer of death for drives)." in all honesty, drives can get pretty hot. and i mean real hot, without keeling over and dying. mod a fan to the case to help get some air to it, and it's fine.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jul 21, 2003 @ 03:01 PM

another idea.... how about a heatsink for the HD???

um, yeah.......try it...you can maybe use your dead drive as one for your new drive =). you can't passively cool a hdd. in all honesty, it'd make the situation worse. big chunk of metal in hot case, already hot as hell from the drive and not removing any heat from the drive. that's gonna kill it =)

shouldn't be too hard to mod a fan on there, but don't bother with one of those slot fans... they just don't do anything useful at all. A dremel tool and like 20 minutes of work would see you with a fan on the back of your case most likely... and it would be cheaper and better, plus since the fan is black it'll still look alright... you could even mount hte fan on the outside if you don't have room on the inside... just make sure you put some kind of screen on there to keep your fingers out, cause case fans + fingers can be pretty painful sometimes lol.

edit: you might be able to cut a couple holes in the top and mount fans ineside the top, having air blow out, then get either some of those fancy fan guards... or paint up soem fan guards.

Originally posted by HimuraD@Jul 21, 2003 @ 08:10 PM

slot fans are ass. really, baracuda 5 is the steamiest drive. i would touch an ibm 60gxp before a barcuda 5 and it's "silencing layer (super hot layer of death for drives)."

Really? I heard that the 'Cudas run at least fairly cool?

I haven't had it running for more that 4 hours straight, but it never more than mildly warm. My PSU felt hotter when I had the fan trouble before.

o-o? is your comp running without a sidepanel, cause that sounds near impossible from that drive, especially since you were asking for help on how to keep it cool. no offense, you being a mod and all, but if you feel it's fine, then slap that b*tch in there and have at it and quit worrying, but watch the temps. if it's hot enough to burn you, then ya need to do something, but if your baracuda is magically not hot, unlike the rest of the baracuda 5 line, then be happy.

that thing you linked to might keep the hdd cool... maybe... a couple case fans would exhaust a lot of hot air... help keep the whole system cooler.

Originally posted by HimuraD@Jul 21, 2003 @ 08:25 PM

o-o? is your comp running without a sidepanel, cause that sounds near impossible from that drive, especially since you were asking for help on how to keep it cool. no offense, you being a mod and all, but if you feel it's fine, then slap that b*tch in there and have at it and quit worrying, but watch the temps. if it's hot enough to burn you, then ya need to do something, but if your baracuda is magically not hot, unlike the rest of the baracuda 5 line, then be happy.

well I did have the case open the whole time.

I'm guessing that make a difference

so would I just mount like 2 case fans right on top of the HD or what?

if somebody could draw up a diagram or something, that would be cool (no pun intended)

on a side note, how do those cube PCs stay cool?

yes, that makes a huge difference. lol, i have my divx box wide open at them moment with 3 drives in it, it's cool without the panel and is toasty with.

just think a thin 80mm fan with thermal tape holding it to the drive's metal plate.

Originally posted by HimuraD@Jul 21, 2003 @ 08:55 PM

yes, that makes a huge difference. lol, i have my divx box wide open at them moment with 3 drives in it, it's cool without the panel and is toasty with.

just think a thin 80mm fan with thermal tape holding it to the drive's metal plate.

heat won't make the tape come off?

Back