Any upcomming technologies for pc's interest you?

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member

What new pc technologies are you looking forward to?

I personally can't wait for the new dual layer dvd-rs comming out in a couple of months.

yeah me too -- but I'm wondering if my NEC burner will have a firmware upgrade. One can hope.

Most of my tech hopes are based around storage.

Love to see bigger, faster, most reliable hard drives become cheaper.

Still waiting for the day I can get a reliable 1TB for a couple hundred dollars :D

I'm also waiting for SATA to get more common and for the price premium to go away. I have native SATA support but just haven't thought it was worth the extra $ yet.

Seeing new CPU speeds are nice, but especially with the new Prescott stuff, I'm getting concerned with heat and energy consumption

It's already been done, but I hope to see it become more affordable in my lifetime - the replaceable graphics cards for laptops. The Dell XPS is the only mainstream machine that does it now, and even that costs an arm and a leg (though it is *ugly*).

easier to upgrade/service laptops in general would be great.

Laptops that you can build yourself would be nice. Everyone needs to come up w/ 1 form and everyone use it, so all parts are interchangable and stuff. Just like tower PC's :)

Yeah.

I'm waiting for the new ATI cards but I know NOTHING about them. Anybody got the poop on em?

That's the only thing I know too, haha. I'll stick w/ my 9700 pro for a couple of years.

I'm waiting for 64-bit computing to become mainstream. I'm certain my next machine will be 64-bit.

I'm looking forward to dual layer DVD-Rs, but for data storage more than anything else. Without using a RAID set up (which I'm considering for a home server) it's practically impossible to effectively back up big HDs these days.

PCI-X looks like it could be interesting too.

OLED displays look sweet. Assuming they get the lifespan issues sorted.

PCI-X (or PCI-e as some people call it) may be interesting, but will probably just mean spending oodles of cashg for no good reason. :)

Nano cooling sounds promising - smaller better heatsinks is always a good idea - especially for the new gen Prescott processors.

PCI-X bad. PCI-Xtreme GOOD.

PCI-X is only around to provide backwards compatability with regular PCI stuff.

Originally posted by gameboy900@Mar 26, 2004 @ 05:48 AM

PCI-X bad. PCI-Xtreme GOOD.

PCI-X is only around to provide backwards compatability with regular PCI stuff.

You mean PCI Extreme, with an E. That is why it is sometimes called PCI-E... PCI-X is (as you pointed out) a different technology altogether. I look forward to PCI Extreme, affordable (fast) DDR2 (that'll be a bit), new GPUs, affordable SyncRAID, and DL DVD. I remember when I first posted news on dual layer DVDs, people told me I was full of crap. Anyway, In the mobile sector, I look forward to PVR MBX chips. OpenGL ES = good.

Originally posted by Curtis@Mar 26, 2004 @ 03:08 PM

PCI-X (or PCI-e as some people call it) may be interesting, but will probably just mean spending oodles of cash for no good reason. :)

Isn't that what we do right now anyway? :lol:

AMD64 / x86-64 - Large address space good. More registers good. It's not PowerPC or MIPS by any stretch of the imagination, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. I like AMD's idea of integrating the DRAM interface onto the CPU as well; anything that makes mainboards easier/cheaper to design is probably a good thing.

PCI Extreme - See above regarding mainboard design, and the speed boost can't hurt either. I don't particularly care about the speed increase yet, but it'll undoubtedly be important if/when AGP falls by the wayside.

OpenGL 2.0 - OpenGL is overdue for a cleanup. 2.0 is basically done being developed, now the challenge is to get the standard finalized so that vendors can start coding drivers to it.

edit: almost forgot...

Plan 9 From Bell Labs - Not so much "upcoming" as "over a decade old", but that doesn't really count since it's still stuck in the lab. Imagine an utterly network-transparent Unix where each program not only has its own memory address space but its own virtual filesystem, and you'll be on the right track :D

Originally posted by ExCyber@Mar 26, 2004 @ 03:46 PM

PCI Extreme - See above regarding mainboard design, and the speed boost can't hurt either. I don't particularly care about the speed increase yet, but it'll undoubtedly be important if/when AGP falls by the wayside.

It actually isn't as good a replacement for AGP as it is for PCI, right now. AGP currently delivers enough bandwidth TO the GPU, and there are (currently) very few reasons you need to transfer a large amount back FROM the GPU. So in the short term, having synchronous and independent bandwidth both ways won't matter. AGP 8X is plenty fast.

Now as for PCI-E replacing PCI, it needs it badly. Unlike traditional PCI buses, the bandwidth for PCI-E isn't shared. If you've got Ethernet, Sound, IDE/RAID controllers, etc sharing the same very limited 133/266MB bandwidth, you run out pretty quick. But if every 1X slot has its own bandwidth, and you can also have 4X (4 lane) PCI-E slots for high-speed devices, you're pretty safe.

However, companies are probably not going to push PCI Express like they should for replacing PCI. In fact, the only ones who are likely to push it hard are Nvidia/ATI, despite the fact that we are not likely to see any significant difference between AGP and PCI-E versions of the same cards. Hopefully we'll at least see Gigabit ethernet and RAID controller cards in Express versions soon. A couple of modern SATA drives in a RAID 0 array and you've already saturated the PCI bus, if you use an add-in card.

PCI-E might not provide that many direct benefits for GPUs, but it will allow you to install multiple cards more easily. Right now if you want to do that you're pretty much limited to one modern card and one fairly outdated card. Two monitors is enough for most people, but three or more are sometimes useful.

That's interesting about PCI-X and PCI-E. The material I've seen tends to use the term interchangabily. I wasn't aware that there were two different technologies. Damn Australian media. :rant

Originally posted by it290@Mar 27, 2004 @ 01:17 AM

PCI-E might not provide that many direct benefits for GPUs, but it will allow you to install multiple cards more easily. Right now if you want to do that you're pretty much limited to one modern card and one fairly outdated card. Two monitors is enough for most people, but three or more are sometimes useful.

Perhaps, but two things to keep in mind. We are unlikely to see two PCI-E 16X slots on most mainboards. Also, you can already get 3 monitors with certain mainboards by using the onboard Radeon 9xxx and an AGP card together. At least then you don't have to use a PCI graphics card. Still, the potential for two 16X or faster slots does exist, and could be beneficial. They've even talked about the possibility of dual-card solutions like the Voodoo 2 SLI days, though it would almost certainly be a waste unless they came up with a really awesome implementation.

Yeah, the multi-card/multi-chip Voodoos always just seemed like lame hacks to me.

Back