Apache

Ok.. i got apache running.. and i can see pages on my local network. I forwarded port 80 but still nobody can see my pages..

I tired changing to port 8080 and i changed it in the httpd file.. but then even i coudlnt see my own pages.. I dont know i must have done something wrong..

How can i get around this?

Since i seem to have a problem with any type of port forwarding im wondering if my dsl modem has a built in firewall??

Its a Westell B90 or something..

Yes, you do need to ensure that incoming connections are being routed to your PC. I'm not familiar with that modem at all, but you're most likely going to have to set up port forwarding or DMZ for it to work.

Ok, I emailed my ISP to find out for sure what is going on. Since I have a residential DSL account my service is only configured to use a private IP address. This doesnt allow anyone to see or use resources outside of the network. I can however upgrade to a routable IP address (for a one time price of 27 dollars) but the server running on it must not be for any kind of business or comercial use and cannot continously use a high amount of bandwidth..

So i guess thats the magic answer to all my problems.. like why i cant direct connect via aim.. why i cant get bit torrent to have a green status light and why emule tells me that my port is not reachable even though i forward all of the necessary ports.

All the time i wasted trying to find help on what was wrong with my pc, modem or router..... :damn:

Who the hell are you using? With my service, RR, they apply a 10.x ip to the modem and a standard public ip, 24.163.xx.xx to you.

Im using salsgiver.. they are a local ISP. Iv been with since iv gotten the internet way way back when.. they had awesome dial up service so i didnt even question there DSL service...

I don't think your ISP would give out priate addresses and NAT everything out that's external. Too many things would break. FTP would be a huge problem, as well as the ISP being responsible for stateful connections on their NAT, which would need tons of memory resources on their router.

You probably have a DSL router/modem combo like I have. It has an internal, private IP block to serve out IP addresses VIA DHCP and an external IP address for the internet.

If I were you, I'd either call a different tech or get the specs for your DSL modem online.

Back