Arguement here, tell me your opinion

I am Mybalogna in this discussion.. use your good judgement to tell me if i am being fair..

if you want to participate, it is at www.edmontononline.net

Author: DevilJin

Date: Sun Sep. 8, 2002

Time: 10:41pm

Mood: H to the OANG EtownPaki>>

"Id say gamecube is still strong, but i dont like how they are releasing 2d capcom fighters, when the controller is so lacking. But games like zelda will be cool.

PS2 will become much better, with additions of new RPGs and online. But ps2 releases more bad games than good"

First of all, the GC controller is crap for 2D fighters, but that doesn't mean shit.

Second of all, the PS2 DOES release more bad games than good, but that doesn't mean shit either.

The only things that matter are the GOOD games that come out for each system. I mean, if CvS2 sucks for the GC, don't buy it. If there are shitty games for the PS2, only buy the good ones. Who cares about the shitty games. Just look at the good ones.

Azn_PureChink>> You're 14. Shouldn't you be worshipping childish games??

BTW, I think that Sony will decimate the competition this time around, even more than they did last generation.

reply to this message

Author: AsIaN_FeaR

Date: Sun Sep. 8, 2002

Time: 10:43pm

Mood: u http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/08/28/online.gaming

Author: Mybalogna

Date: Mon Sep. 9, 2002

Time: 1:22am

Mood: ach!

What deviljin said is very true.. look at what the general public thinks..

PS2 is the cool thing to own, no matter how good or bad the games are for it, or any other system for that matter.

If it depended on the game quality dreamcast would be running the show.

reply to this message

Author: ekjl

Time: 7:48am

Mood: adsf AsIaN_FeaR: Don't you know that you never trust those kind of sources. I've heard lots of bullshit coming out of CNN the past year and that just lost their credibility as a news source for gaming. If you want a more accurate look on the situation about gaming, get magazines like EGM, or sites like Videogames.com.

reply to this message

Time: 9:15am

Mood: fdsfaf Mybalogna>> Umm...no you missed my point.

If a system has 90 bad games and 10 good games, it's better than a system that has 20 bad games and 5 good games, even though only 1/10 of its games are worth playing.

As for the DC, it's outdated in terms of technology. That's why it's gone...

The reason why PS2 is beating the competition is because it is the most reliable system out there. It took over the household name of video games from Nintendo.

reply to this message

Time: 11:49am

Mood: ach! Ah reliable to last it is Although my entire stement was not to agree with yours, zEverybody wants a PS2, Alot of people desire it because it is the "cool" thing to have. Many of your average console buyers are kids who see a game like GTA3 and decide this is the system to get regardless of what else is out there.. All of their friends have it too, so its only natural that they get it.

The Dc was overshadowed by the hype for Sonys mystery box during its lifespan, nobody even thought twice about a dreamcast because it just "wasnt cool" No matter how many orginal titles the dc had on it, no matter how many times it out did the competition, psx and ps2 stil won because of its fan base of zombies. Thats why it failed.

It is all about corperate image, if it were about power of the system wouldn xbox be in first place right now?

'i think i got your point, although your faith in sony is a bit overboard. Have you seen their plans for PS3? Aaahahahaha, idiots

reply to this message

Author: RoamDog

Time: 3:30pm

Mood: S-M-R-T "for games like capcom vs. snk2..... u think the gamecube controller would be good?"

I don't play CvS or MvC.

and people say the controllers are only crap for those games cuz everyone is used to playing them in the arcade for 5 years now.

if you were used to a gamecube controller you'd say other controllers sucked for it.

but whatever, the last 10 games I have played for console mostly sucked.

the only good games I have played for console lately were gamecube games.

reply to this message

Author: Nsx_Boy

Time: 6:18pm

Mood: --> hmm...also i think the 64 from nintendo didn't go top ratings wif the fans, maybe ppl was afraid that the GC would also be a flopp and went over to the PS...hey the first one was good, ain't the 2nd one supposed to be better?

reply to this message

Author: pirachu

Time: 7:50pm

Mood: Owasup! I think the playstation 2 did good because it offered something else... dvd playback, backwards combatibility with all your playstation accesories (conotrollers, memory cards, multi tap, etc).

The gamecube is good... but I don't really know what to say about it.

Its all in the hands of the fans of each system... like millions of people love squaresoft and they are producing games for ps2... so millions of people went towards it.

but I don't really know.

reply to this message

Time: 8:20pm

Mood: H to the OANG MyBalogna>> If the PS3 sucks, I won't buy it. Nobody said I'm following Sony.. I just buy what's best.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but it really depends on a combination of both hardware AND software. The DC had really good games, but it doesn't even compare to the GCN, PS2 and XBox in terms of power. Technoligically, they got muscled out. That's why Sega is out of the video game hardware race. Not because of your silly excuse about people jumping on the bandwagon.

There's a reason why people are jumping on the Sony bandwagon. Quality correlates to popularity. If people feel that Sony's PS2 beats the competition in quality, then they will buy it. If the Dreamcast was truly as good or better than the PS2, then the DC would be the "cool thing to buy". Unfortunately for Sega, it isn't.

reply to this message

Time: 8:23pm

Mood: H to the OANG BTW, I have faith in the PS2. That's totally different than having faith in Sony. I don't give a shit about Sony. They're definitely on a roll, but I'm not ready to place my bets on the PS3 being just as big of a hit as PSX and PS2. At the time being, the PS2 is beating down the competition.

reply to this message

Time: 8:28pm

Mood: S-M-R-T it's not beating down the competition.

just maybe slightly ahead of the GC for now.

and xbox is already laying dead in the mud.

it reminds me of ......sega saturn.

LOL

reply to this message

Author: Socom

Date: Tue Sep. 10, 2002

Time: 9:40am

Mood: meh... slightly ahead? The ps2 is still far ahead of the GC in terms of sales from what I've heard.

reply to this message

Author: AsIaN_FeaR

Time: 4:03pm

Mood: u yes PS2 sold 3 times of GC. lol next generation PS3 will beat out the completion (sony is getting a year head start before nintendo again from what i heard of)

reply to this message

Author: KenjutsuB0i

Time: 6:50pm

Mood: ^^ i hope sony crashes and burns with this off the wall ps3 concept..

its funny how people constantly complain about companies not being original or experimenting and stuff, but as soon as they do people say its a stupid idea

reply to this message

Date: Thu Sep. 12, 2002

Time: 11:13pm

Mood: ach! haha , Socom.. are half of those games out yet? Sony has recieved more credit than it desrved for alot of the half assed crap they published before quality revealed its wonderful head over the PS2 horizon..

Kenjutsu , I give them praise for experimenting, too bad they are basically throwing their lead out of the widow with a concept like this.. I rolled my eyes the exact same way when sega saud they would incorperate DC technology in to dvd playes.. what are they thinking?

reply to this message

Time: 11:18pm

Mood: H to the OANG "devijin, Sales have EVERYTHING to do with fanboys and the "general public" Jumping on that damn bandwagon.. hrdware? psshaw, we saw how psx out did a system souble its bit [power (i know that the bits do not mean shit, altho that is waht the public sees)

look at the launcehs, look at the quality dreamcast had out on its launch, (soul calibur, sonic nfl2k etc etc)

look what sony had for iyts ps2 (tekken, fantavision, thats about it)

now look at the sales, i think you are mistaken deviljion, if it were not for the dc units at blockbusters and EB's people would have not even heard of it..

zRemember the neo geo pocket vs GB color? same crap, NGP was far superios but gb had more of a fan base,

hardware means nothing, its who buys it and how many buy it that counts

sorry im drunk "

That is pure bullshit. You're saying people buy Sony's PSX and PS2 because they're selling like mad. Well, how are they selling like mad in the first place?? Explanation??

Hardware means a hell of a lot more than "nothing". It's the software that counts the most though. Thats why Sony's doing so well. The way I see it, you're making up an excuse for Sony's success.

"i hope sony crashes and burns with this off the wall ps3 concept.. i am not a fanboy of any type, i only wish for good ORIGINAL titles to prosper and it seems sony is as money hungy as it gets , and does not give 2 shits about quality titles.. go nintendo! go sega!""

Here's proof of your bias. First of all, EVERY COMPANY IS MONEY HUNGRY!!!! The purpose of business (regardless of what they're selling) is to make money. Labelling Sony as "money hungry" and implying that Nintendo and Sega are NOT money hungry, is an example of pure bias. If Sony didn't give 2 shits about quality, they wouldn't be on top right now. Besides, it's not like Sony makes all of the games for the PS2... I'm not gonna say "go Sony" because I don't care about Sony. I don't care about the PS3, and I won't care until it's on the market. Again, if I buy a console, I'll buy whichever one is the best. There's no anti-[company name] coming from me.

reply to this message

Author: Fritz

Time: 11:42pm

Mood: F to the ritz I like dreamcast.. cause i'm a cheap fuck!

reply to this message

Date: Fri Sep. 13, 2002

Time: 2:03am

Mood: ach! You know i see this arguement as a large misyunderstanding and if we got things sorted out i am sure alot of the things said are semi compatible..

Where did i say hardware makes NO difference..

Sales of PS1 were largely to do with Sonys quick marketing strategy, low pricepoint and HARDWARE there you go, that got them out of the door and off to a great head start. Their immediete success was due to largely circumstatial means.. I mean Nintendo a huge player in the 16bit market and the Largest player in the handheld market, played their cards wrong (and for the most part has ever since in my opinion) the N64 was not released until around christmas 96 i believe, also it had major software problems.. 3 good games in 5 months haha

Sega was prompt to release a super 2d console but had to rush the saturn together within a years time , after hearing of sonys 3d powerhouse.. Sony did well at the start and are contiuing to

Yes i say that about PS2... How can you not see this? A year before playstation 2 was released we had a brand new stste of the art low priced system, but your AVERAGE JOE said "lets wait for PS2 because of some flashy FMV he saw for it, and Sonys word that it was 10 billion times better than anything.. (As you can see the specifications have been Extremely dummied down from the originals to what the system can actually do) It was the HYPE , and still is..

Hype exists everywhere, with everything.. If it is said to be good people want it.. if there is madden for it, people want it.. not because its a good game, because its madden..

And i own a PS2, I have played through the "Greats" for the system and trust me, there arent very many.. it is too bad that games no longer make the system, the system makes the games

reply to this message

Time: 2:09am

Mood: ach! Ps deviljin, in what SONY titles have you seen quality.. wait does sony even make titles? i think i can count them all on one hand, lets see gran turismo, legend of dragoon..

Yes i said sony was money hungry, although where did i say everyone else wasnt?

I get a laugh out of people bashing Bill Gates and the XBox for being a machine for corperate whores..

haha

reply to this message

Time: 7:51am

Mood: myblongna Half of Nintendo's "Killer" lineup isn't out either now is it. Ps2 has lots more. Those are the ones "I" like.

reply to this message

Time: 7:56am

Mood: meh... Mybalogna>> Reading the other thing

"in what SONY titles have you seen quality" sony just made the hardware, no one ever said that "Sony" was a game developer the calibur of nintendo. But why would they need to be when they have companies like Square, Konami, Capcom, Namco, EA, etc backing them up. Now if you were saying that Sony themselves don't have as many good titles as Nintendo I'd have to agree. But don't ignore the fact that the PS2 itself has more quality games right now than any other system that is out in the market today. At least from my personal experience and enjoyment of the games. I own both a ps2 and gamecube and I've said many times, in my OPINION, I prefer my ps2. Not because of Sony's marketing strategy or its popularity, but because I simply have more fun with it.

reply to this message

Time: 8:52am

Mood: asdf "Where did i say hardware makes NO difference.."

Up there! You said: "hardware means nothing"

"Yes i said sony was money hungry, although where did i say everyone else wasnt?"

Then why did you bring it up in the first place. If all companies are money hungry, why did you only mention Sony?? You obviously have a dislike for Sony so your opinion here's already biased.

Anyways, you're saying that people are buying PS2 because of hype. Has it occurred to you that maybe that's just an excuse in Sony's romp over Nintendo and your beloved Sega??? I honestly think that the PS2 is leading the competition in terms of quality, quantity AND sales, at the time being. If you're implying that Sony's success is ONLY due to hype and good marketing and NOT because they're setting the standard in quality, then just say it straight out.

reply to this message

Author: Fritz

Time: 9:01am

Mood: 13 so ya... the dreamcast ...... *whispers* its thinking

reply to this message

Time: 9:04am

Mood: meh... Those commercials were classic.

reply to this message

Author: Ithmatic

Time: 2:02pm

Mood: Tripe. Widgaradooni babbaloo!

reply to this message

Date: Sat Sep. 14, 2002

Time: 2:21am

Mood: ach! not only due to hype, it is just unfortunate that some more original better titles and hardware were overlook as much as they were , when the giant loom of the "Much anticipated killer App!, ps2" was on its way..

it is no use arguing with you about this.. do not turn everything so black and white either..

I give sony kudos for brainwashing most of the GENERAL public in to thinking their system was god even before it his shelves, that is a good marketing scheme.. even if it is spreading mostly false propaganda...

Socom there is no need for mindless criticism when you dont have anything intelligent or worthwhile to say

reply to this message

Time: 3:23am

Mood: H to the OANG Holy fanboy, batman...

PS2 was rated higher than its competition by the pros. Their opinion isn't infinitely credible, but they support that PS2's success isn't primarily about "brainwashing" etc... It's about being the console that brings the top quality games to their customers.

Mybalogna, you're obviously really biased when it comes to this. You're talking like PS2 is some evil empire in the video gaming world, just because you're a Sega fan.

reply to this message

Time: 3:35am

Mood: ach! haha, i own both i have played what both have to offer, and again i have explained my reasoning.. when a fan of something other than the system you enjoy bashes it you label him/her a fanboy.. i am anything but,

trust me i have been playing these fuckers since i was born, i have played all that matters etc etc i am sure u have heard it all before although my opinion is anything but one sided..

if you owned a DCduring the time ps2 was going to be launched you would know..

and even if you did, you sound like the kind of person who took it out of the box popped in soul calibuir and said this isnt sony.. *switch..*

reply to this message

Time: 11:56am

Mood: S-M-R-T i still like gamecube better then ps2 or dreamcast.

but PC beats all....ALWAYS!

reply to this message

Time: 12:02pm

Mood: H to the OANG "If it depended on the game quality dreamcast would be running the show."

"No matter how many orginal titles the dc had on it, no matter how many times it out did the competition, psx and ps2 stil won because of its fan base of zombies."

"i think i got your point, although your faith in sony is a bit overboard. Have you seen their plans for PS3? Aaahahahaha, idiots "

"i hope sony crashes and burns with this off the wall ps3 concept.. i am not a fanboy of any type, i only wish for good ORIGINAL titles to prosper and it seems sony is as money hungy as it gets , and does not give 2 shits about quality titles.. go nintendo! go sega!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this shows a dislike towards Sony and a bias towards Sega. Sure the Dreamcast was good but they made a mistake:

The Saturn, PSX, and N64 were of the same generation, in terms of power, and the time it was released. The PS2, X-Box and GCN are of the same generation as well. Where does DC lie?? In the middle by itself. When it was released, many gamers felt that they didn't need to buy it because they recently bought the PSX/N64 a year or two prior to the release of the DC. Even more significantly, about a year later, people were anticipating the PS2 and the GCN, again to the disadvantage of Sega. As good as the system was, Sega didn't reallyprovide a good enough reason to buy it. Why buy it when it will be massively outdated in the near future??

"and even if you did, you sound like the kind of person who took it out of the box popped in soul calibuir and said this isnt sony.. *switch..*"

Again, I don't care about Sony. If I felt like the X-Box was the best, I'd buy it. If I felt like the Gamecube was the best, I'd buy it. The PS2 just happens to be the best system to buy right now. If Sega decided to get back into making consoles, and then release a console in the next generation that I felt was better than the PS3 and the rest of the competition, I would buy that before I'd buy the rest cuz I don't give a shit who makes it.

reply to this message

Author: bwong

Time: 12:57pm

Mood: BEATLEJUICE i feel the xbox will last due to its support, ps2 will survie due to popularity, and gamecube will last cause of its titles

reply to this message

Time: 2:24pm

Mood: meh... Hey I am only correcting your obvious convoluted view of Sony. You said before that the PS2 has no killer aps for it. So I listed some. You argue that half arent' released, I come back with it's the same with nintendo. Then you argue that sony has no quality titles therefore making the ps2 crappy. I come back saying that not just Sony is making games for the ps2 and I list the various game companies that support it. Correct me if I'm wrong but an effective argument should be backed up by examples and concrete evidense. Both of which I have provided.

"Socom there is no need for mindless criticism when you dont have anything intelligent or worthwhile to say "

I couldn't agree more, but how intelligent is an argument like this?

"I give sony kudos for brainwashing most of the GENERAL public in to thinking their system was god even before it his shelves."

How exactly did this brainwashing occur? Sony merely said what their system could do followed by demonstrations of the hardware in action. Something ALL game companies do when their hardware is finished and ready. Are you telling me that Nintendo and microsoft didn't try to hype their machines before they were released so that sales would bear fruit?

reply to this message

Time: 2:36pm

Mood: H to the OANG Why the hell don't people just screw whatever loyalties they have with whatever company?? I don't see why people basically back only one company and then kiss its ass and worship it.

reply to this message

Time: 3:16pm

Mood: meh... Deviljin>> I like boith.

reply to this message

Date: Sun Sep. 15, 2002

Time: 1:41am

Mood: ach! Socom, by telling the public that the ps2 hardware maximum capabilities they are 10x than that said.. its like things like the newspaper, big big news is printed fullpage even it is not 100% trueand thousand o people hear about it, if there was a mistke in the article that is added 2 weeks later in the useless section near the classifieds..

deviljin, what you are saying has a point although i think you arent iving me good arguements.. it is a buiness industry too, rival companies each reaching for the throat of he other, and yes taking alernate manuvers to reach the top.

So they cheated, so life isnt fair, but it got them where they are today and in #1.. But deviljin what yoiu fail to realze what my arguement actually means, that is why nobody is proving anything with this topic

reply to this message

Time: 1:44am

Mood: ach! haha i just read over that, dont mind the horrible grammar errors, after a night devoted to getting sloshed even typing is tough..

reply to this message

Time: 10:37am

Mood: meh... Mybalogna>> I don't recall Sony ever saying the ps2 was capable of doing things 10x the power that the processor is capable of. Need I remind you that Microsoft and Nintendo said the same thing when their systems were being developed? They bothed claimed to be "ps2 killers" or "way more advanced than anything out in the market" which the ps2 was.

Also, how did Sony cheat? By providing a great product that people love? If the ps2 was truly crappy as you say, why aren't people massing to the stores to return their sustems or going to the pawnshops to get some cash? Because people are satisfied with what they have.

All you've done is give your opinion on things with no concrete evidence.

So sony is in the lead right now. Does it really matter? As long as there is competition no one really can say which system will turn out on top. But as long as each person is happy with what they have what is the point of bashing the other guy?

reply to this message

Time: 11:21am

Mood: H to the OANG Mybalogna>> Not giving a good argument?? What about you?? You're saying that Sony CHEATED?? HAHAHAHAHA!!

I get it... If Sega is on top of the video game market, that makes them the best. If Sony is on top of the video game market, they only got there because they "cheated".

Mybalogna, regardless of how Sony played their cards and no matter how good their games were, you would have made that "cheated" excuse to explain Sega's ass kicking. Sony isn't on top because of advertising strategies or some shit like that. Sony is beating down the competition by offering exactly what the majority of gamers want.

You have absolutely no support for your argument. Give me some good evidence indicating how Sony's games aren't all that good and that they "cheated" to get on top of the video game industry. By the way, the latest yearly review on consoles say that the PS2 is the best console to buy at the time being AND with future considerations... They offer tons of good games for each genre and age group. The last system to do that successfully was the Dreamcast, but their console is significantly weaker than the PS2. Basically, the PS2 is everything the Dreamcast is, times 10 of the DC's power, plus internet capability, DVD playback, and more big-name companies. If you like the Dreamcast so much, you should like the PS2 too...oh wait I forgot, you hate Sony because they ravaged Sega....

reply to this message

Time: 11:39am

Mood: H to the OANG And mybalogna, you ARE one sided. You're making up all this bullshit about Sony cheating, and brainwashing people... Seriously, if you were NOT one sided, you'd be able to accept that Sony is offering what the consumers want, and that's why they're on top. If you weren't a fanboy, you wouldn't have the need to make some sorry excuse as to why Sega got their asses kicked and Nintendo isn't number one anymore. You're even ALREADY bashing the PS3, and it's not even out yet... There's PROOF that you have a bias against Sony. Okay, seriously, if the PS3 turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to video games, you would STILL bash it and put it down, simply because you are a fanboy. As for myself, if the next Nintendo or Sega (despite not making consoles anymore) system turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to video games, I would say "Fuck Sony" and go and buy that system instead, because I'm not a fanboy and therefore I have no need to follow Sony. Feel free to argue this if you want to... Can you honestly say that you can screw Sega/Nintendo and go Sony if the PS3 turns out to be really good?? Or would you do the same thing you're doing now and bash it, making sorry excuses for why people are buying it and why reviewers are rating it higher than any other consoles.

reply to this message

Author: Mirage

Time: 2:31pm

Mood: No Respects my buddy has ps2, dcast, and just bought an xbox. ps2 owns, xbox is great system (the controller aint that bad!) but the games backing ps2 are just too good. as for n64, the only fun game is SSB games, and goldeneye (which sucks anyway!).

reply to this message

Time: 2:32pm

Mood: No Respects ...and seeing as how none of us watch TV, or read the paper, i dont see how sony can be brainwashing us =D

face it, the games are better....which is more important than xbox being a better machine

n64 = non-factor.

reply to this message

Author: bwong

Time: 2:32pm

Mood: BEATTLEJUICE im on a mission to buy all 3

reply to this message

Time: 2:35pm

Mood: No Respects murray has every system except xbox, and my buddy mike has every sys cept n64...nobody touches n64, nobody plays dc anymore cept for marvel (ps controller is the best for fighting games, by far). the only games we play on xbox are halo occasionally and that racing game thats on the tip of my tongue...you know, with the "kudos" points for slides, and pylon quests and stuff, thats a great game.

reply to this message

Time: 2:38pm

Mood: No Respects hm i just read Mybalogna's post....

sony's tactics are the same as the other companies...

but marketing strats aside, sony is superior right now...its the second best game system but has the best games......you really dont have a point, mybalogna...regardless of how you believe sony is "cheating", its superior games are putting it in the lead right now.

reply to this message

Time: 2:41pm

Mood: No Respects i just finished reading, and i have to say, Mybalogna, you sound like someone who got their dick caught in your ps2 while loading a porn dvd, and is now extremely bitter to sony. do you blindly prefer the other systems because they do not have the ability to castrate you?

reply to this message

Time: 2:47pm

Mood: No Respects and btw, id that say getting squaresoft for 6 (or is it 7?) final fantasy titles (not to mention other titles, like CT2) has been the greatest achievement of any of the big three for the past few years. as i recall, when squaresoft first left nintendo, there were quite a few nuthuggers moaning about how 3d would ruin FF games.

go ps2, the balogna-castrating machine!

reply to this message

Time: 3:33pm

Mood: H to the OANG Mirage>> Exactly. That's what I'm trying to tell this guy.

Why be bitter towards Sony for finishing Sega off and beating Nintendo around like a rag doll, why don't you just fuck it all and move on. Unglue those lips from Sega's penis before you joke, and face the truth. Sony has a stranglehold on the video game market and Sega is reduced to Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft's table scraps.

Again, "Why the hell don't people just screw whatever loyalties they have with whatever company?? I don't see why people basically back only one company and then kiss its ass and worship it." PS2 is the best right now and will likely keep that position until the next generation comes along, and no matter how many fanboy excuses you make, you can't change that.

reply to this message

Time: 6:38pm

Mood: ach! It is not because i feel i need to be mad at sony for their tactics, but when i company like sega concentrates on producing and developing original titles while those sony publishes for make re-hashed crap.. who should i vouch for? I would rather have big budget original games like shenmue and jet set radio then have a brand new twisted metal every year.

deviljin i wonder how credible your opinions are.. Have you done the rounds with the systems? have you ever played a Good game? i doubt it, inform me if otherwise

I think you're just trying to make the longest post ever. And i don't even understand what you want us to be participating in here...

haha it seems i get bitterness for making this post in alot of forums, it would not link properly so i had to do it this way.. i would just like some feedback for those patient enough to read this

Medion from SZ? haha, thats cool, i have a variety of forums i rape from time to time.. i am trying to get a general analysis of what people other than the snotnosed edmontonians think.. maybe posting in mainly sega forums is not a good way to get accurate results haha

I tried to read that first post up there but ran out of Tylenol.....
sarcasm.gif

DevilJin sounds like a blinkered Sony fanboy to me... or a Sony employee. He obviously doesn't understand how many people buy Sony to look 'cool' and fit in with the rest of the mindless sheep.

cherok: I think you're largely right, but you're undermining your credibility by being needlessly hammered and/or inflammatory. Using less loaded wording to get your point across would probably be a good thing. FWIW, here's how I see the issues:

Sony's original market grab was made possible because Sega and Nintendo both screwed up their launches. Sega had trouble pulling together good launch titles for the Japanese Saturn launch, and Sega of America totally botched their surprise early launch. Nintendo, of course, was late to the party. Meanwhile, Sony Computer Entertainment had people busting their asses to court developers and execute an expertly coordinated marketing scheme (at least in the U.S.).

Hardware matters, but only up to a point. There needs to be a pretty big gap in capabilities in order for a system to have a clear advantage, and even then success is not guaranteed by any means (*cough*Atari 2600*cough*). Writing Dreamcast's failure off as being due solely to technological inferiority is absurd - there's no question that PS2 is more powerful, but I've seen no evidence aside from unrealistic polygon counts (are there yet any accounts of an actual PS2 game pushing over 10M/s?) that the difference is large enough to make Dreamcast irrelevant.

Basically from what I read I can give you this advice:

Calm down, you'll give yourself an ulcer.

Play the games you like and let everyone else get on with what they're doing, since that's what's gonna happen ayways whether you get all worked up about it or not.

About the points themselves.. Was it not true that once the Megadrive/Genesis was the 'cool' thing to own, with it's often more dark style of games than what you might find on Nintendo systems? I certainly remember it that way from primary school and high school. People always say about Sony's marketing killing off Sega's quality but conveniently forget that Sega dug their own graves completely for the Dreamcasts 'failure', regardless of how good the DC is/was. I haven't got the figures handy, but a ridiculous amount of Mega CDs were sold worldwide very expensively, then there was hardly any support with the software. 32X speaks for itself and 99% of Saturn games released in the West were utter bollocks, substandard for even PSX games. I think Sega did pretty much everything right with DC, but there was no way people were going to put their faith in it after all that went before.

I have a PS2, and I only use it to play DVDs. I'm getting a Gamecube eventually. I don't want an X-Box. Why? Metroid and Zelda, man!

hehe my friend bought a ps2 and then bought a dvd player cuz the ps2 dvd player sucked huge and it seems to be greenish in playback.

That's because Sony crippled the RGB output of the DVD player to reduce piracy (or that's what they claim). Use S-video or install a modchip that removes this "feature". Some of the bootdisks may help too, but I'm not completely sure about that.

hehe, I liked that whole think about sony having the 2nd most powerful system and it being everything DC is except 10x better. My whole take on PS2 is the games are too common. They are fun but not sumthin worth buy (most of em anyways). I feel like I have been playin PS2 for YEARS cuz it's all the same. They have a few great games like all systems but I think ppls best bet is to get a DC or GCN. get an XBox if u are more than an average gamer and want to have a cheap linux box that plays a bunch of emus
smile.gif
. PS2 is sumthin u get and downalod all the good games 4 it (like 5-6) then borrow everyone elses.

1 more thing, I really liked how that guy said the only mes for N64 were SSB and Goldeneye. Well for 1 N64 and quite a few great games (conker, zelda, MARIO!, PD, Harvest Moon, etc) SSB is a good party game, so is goldeneye. Goldeneye is great just cuz of the replayability(is that even a word?) but PD is all that plus more. I liked the theme of Goldeneye more though, KILL GERMANS!(no offense all you Germans, just havin fun). That's my 2cp, peace.

I didn't read the WHOLE thing, but I think I gathered your points.

I agree with them too.

DC is still the best when it comes to game titles. Hands down. Especially 2D fighters. There's all these kiddies now a days that think everything has to be in 3D to be fun -- makes me want to slap them upside the head!

Dc is not that far behind in technology -- especially since it's been out for over 3 freaking years!

You also have to look at the price factors. Even if you forget that a DC "retails" at $50. Look at how much games sell for. Crazy Taxi for DC = $8 CT for PS2= $25?

All of my friends still think VMUs are cool -- no other system has that.

What system has had online capabilities and microphone for ages already? DC!

What system has emulators and homebrew coming out the wazoo?! DC!

Also... most (not all) PSX/PS2 fan are mindless zombies -- I know a few Nintendo zombies too. And you're right, if it came down to only system capabilities, XBOX would rule. Ask any developer and they would agree.

Yeah dude the VMU kicks some huge ass. I dont know why no one has thought of that before because it rocks hard. I wish that the xbox picked that up because with something that powerful, it really coul dhave kicked ass. Also wouldn't it be cool if you were play ing say a fighter, and you and your friend were in practice mode, and instead of the moves our doing show up on screen for him to copy you, they show up on the vmu? That'd be sweet ass...

You can call plays on the VMU too on NFL2K2, right?

That way your oponent can't see it.

Try doing that on any other system.

Just wish Sega made bigger capacity first party VMUs

I think the VMU idea was a good one, executed badly.. As is Sega's way. Not enough games utilised them in interesting ways to make it worth shelling out for new batteries every two weeks.

Originally posted by segasonic@Sep. 16 2002, 4:07 am

DevilJin sounds like a blinkered Sony fanboy to me... or a Sony employee.

biggrin.gif
Yeah, he must be one of those people that companies pay to log onto chat rooms and forums to hype-up their product.

By the way, DC still can compete (graphics-wise, sound, blah blah, (so far)) with PS2 and GC.

AND, VMU = the most asskicking memory card unit EVER!

Back