Best Avatar

Originally posted by VertigoXX@Apr 26, 2003 @ 05:26 PM

Anyone know where my avatar came from?

That dude reminds me of Eddie Vedder. Not sure if that's him though, i'm not a big Pearl Jam fan.

my avatar no longer 0wnz because I fixed the broken link.

RIP little white square with a red circle and "x" in the middle
sad.gif

but I made this shizzy when I was 12

ROBO-TAKEOVER!!!

Originally posted by Fabrizo@Apr 26, 2003 @ 05:59 AM

Oh, and you might also want to check out Grim Fandango. Its IMO one of the best adventure games of all time (I picked up the retail version of about two years ago for $10, which was a great deal I must say).

It's one of my favorite games of all time. I've been meaning to switch my avatar over to Manny Calaveras (still waiting on hosting).

These adventure games are certainly a lost art. I'm amazed that no one followed up on the kind of gameplay Grim Fandango provided (a point and click game much like Maniac Mansion or Sam and Max but without the....uh... pointing or clicking
smile.gif
) Yes I am aware of a Sam and Max sequel in the works, but what has it been, six years?

Don't forget about the Sam&Max tv show!

It was the only one of any of the point&click games that had a show.

I wish Monkey Island was made into a show. That would be so neat.

The downloadable one from underdogs is a rip it works but theres no music and sound problems sad.gif

Has anyone ever read teh Neverhood chronicles? (The story on the wall of the big long hallway in the game.)

I read the whole thing. It was quite interesting.

Too bad about the incomplete rip. It's something everyone should play. I myself only have a copy from my friend who has an original. I never did read that whole wall. It was just too damn long
tongue.gif

And since you mention it, I do seem to remember Boombots. Should have just made a sequel. I think that's what they planned on doing originally, but switched over.. probably to capitalize on the insane success of the then new PSX.

Also, your avatar is koo. Target... Poop Can.

Oh, and you might also want to check out Grim Fandango. Its IMO one of the best adventure games of all time

Here's one I never played. The same friend that introduced me to all the LucasArts adventure games said it wasn't really that good. I think he thought it was too hard and said he just didn't enjoy it as much because he was always cheating to get through. I should go back and check it out.

These adventure games are certainly a lost art. I'm amazed that no one followed up on the kind of gameplay Grim Fandango provided...Yes I am aware of a Sam and Max sequel in the works, but what has it been, six years?

Six? I'm pretty sure it's been longer than that. Maybe 8 or 9. But yes, graphic adventure games are the greatest games ever. I too have been disappointed at their disappearence. They just don't appeal to kids these days who want to shoot things and can't play something without someone else online. All well and good, but variety goes right out the window. I sure as hell hope they don't screw up the legend that is Sam & Max with a shoddy game. But if they pull it off and it sells well there might be more incentive to make others (new Maniac Mansion! Day of the Tentacle was so damn sweet!)

Don't forget about the Sam&Max tv show!

Damn, I did! Thanks for reminding me! Though I remember having mixed feelings about it at the time it was on. I wonder if there are any videos of it flying around the internet. If anyone knows, please email me!

But the bottom line here is: people, play these damn games. Now. Start with the LucasArts Archives vol. 1 and work from there. ScummVM can help you play them on your DC (and pretty well.. a little slow, but not too bad) or your PC (never tried this version, but it might work faster.) Do a search and find it. You'll have to track down the games yourself, but it's worth it. You'll thank yourself later.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Quadriflax@May 4, 2003 @ 07:30 AM

Oh, and you might also want to check out Grim Fandango. Its IMO one of the best adventure games of all time

Here's one I never played. The same friend that introduced me to all the LucasArts adventure games said it wasn't really that good. I think he thought it was too hard and said he just didn't enjoy it as much because he was always cheating to get through. I should go back and check it out.

These adventure games are certainly a lost art. I'm amazed that no one followed up on the kind of gameplay Grim Fandango provided...Yes I am aware of a Sam and Max sequel in the works, but what has it been, six years?

Six? I'm pretty sure it's been longer than that. Maybe 8 or 9. But yes, graphic adventure games are the greatest games ever. I too have been disappointed at their disappearence. They just don't appeal to kids these days who want to shoot things and can't play something without someone else online. All well and good, but variety goes right out the window. I sure as hell hope they don't screw up the legend that is Sam & Max with a shoddy game. But if they pull it off and it sells well there might be more incentive to make others (new Maniac Mansion! Day of the Tentacle was so damn sweet!)

Well, Grim Fandango is a bit hard, but when you think about it, a lot of the stuff makes sense, just as long as you *think* about it. Unlike some adventure games, the tactics you employ aren't hit or miss (some of these adventure games were purely try all your items on everything and hope for the best). But the game makes it all worth it. Ridiculously funny, tremendous character and plot development, and the graphics are fantastic.

As far as I can tell, Grim Fandango was the last of this adventure type game. And actually, it came out in 1998, so it's been five years. All together a very long time, but not as long as I had imagined. I was looking through my collection, and it's unbelievable how popular these games were at one point in time. Everybody and their mother was cranking out these games - and after GF, it all ended. You'd think GF would've revolutionized the genre.

Day of the Tentacle... another serious must play game. Outstanding all the way through (some of these games tend to trail off in quality towards the end). Fantastic, fantastic game. A sequel is very much long overdue.

And what about King's Quest? KQ VI by and far was my favorite.

Well, Grim Fandango is a bit hard, but when you think about it, a lot of the stuff makes sense, just as long as you *think* about it. Unlike some adventure games, the tactics you employ aren't hit or miss (some of these adventure games were purely try all your items on everything and hope for the best). But the game makes it all worth it. Ridiculously funny, tremendous character and plot development, and the graphics are fantastic.

Having never played it myself I can't really comment. I should though. Dunno how well it would run in XP though.

As far as I can tell, Grim Fandango was the last of this adventure type game. And actually, it came out in 1998, so it's been five years. All together a very long time, but not as long as I had imagined. I was looking through my collection, and it's unbelievable how popular these games were at one point in time. Everybody and their mother was cranking out these games - and after GF, it all ended. You'd think GF would've revolutionized the genre.

Oh, I thought you meant since the last Sam & Max game. I remember playing that in 8th grade. That was 8 years ago. I'm old.
unsure.gif

I'm not really surprised by the decline in these games. If your game today doesn't involve killing or seriously hurting someone, it's not "cool." If you have to THINK, it's not fun. If you have to play by yourself, it's lame. If it doesn't have the latest 3D rendered graphics, it's old and crappy.

I'd imagine part of it is the lack or replay--or perceived lack of replay value. I go back and play these games all the time (not recently though,
sad.gif
) because they're so damn cool. Well designed and executed. But it's a totally different market today. Everyone and their grandmother can produce a cheap game and hype the shit out of it. Back then you actually needed a good idea to get things done. But I digress.

Hopefully Sam & Max and the new Full Throttle games will get some attention and hit main stream success. Then maybe we'll see another Manic Mansion/Day of the Tentacle and other graphic adventures. Lord knows they've screwed up the Indiana Jones series though. Infernal Machine was kinda bland and the Emperor's Tomb controlls/camera angles are horrible for the PC. Too bad.

And what about King's Quest? KQ VI by and far was my favorite.

King's Quest was alright. I liked Space Quest better. And Leisure Suit Larry 3 and 5 were awesome. In fact I think the only two KQ games I played were 4 and 5. Both great games. Oh, and who can forget Quest for Glory? Shadows of Darkness was sweet. Though the bug that caused it to crash at the same place over and over was annoying to try and get around. At any rate, I love these games. I really hope this is their second coming. Oo, and Police Quest 2. God that game was SWEET. I also had SWAT, which was somewhat of a let down, but still cool at the time. I tried both SWAT2 and SWAT3 and found them both insanely hard to control well enough to be any fun. Trying to issue commands and switch tools etc with a mouse just doesn't work fast enough, especially when you find the bad guys.

Originally posted by Quadriflax@May 4, 2003 @ 06:37 PM

Having never played it myself I can't really comment. I should though. Dunno how well it would run in XP though.

I'm actually going to try myself, some point this week. I think it's been long enough since I last played the game.
smile.gif

In the meantime, check out www.lucasfiles.com for a trailer and a demo. The trailer is the original one, still as funny as it was 6 years ago when I first saw it (just type Grim Fandango in the Search).

MTX, I just d/led that trailer and tried to play it.. woah, that was messed up. It went all fast and looked kinda like a slideshow with the sound skipping in the background. Kinda like it was in fast forward or something. Weird. Very weird.

Back