? Best Burn method for Saturn backups ?

Hi

Saturn images seem to be among the most numerous on the net - so like the magpie I am - I downloaded a CDs worth.

Most of these appear to be in the form of a bin file and a number of mp3 or wav files - sometimes there's even a cue file included.

Many of these games are Japanese in origin. Do I convert the bin file using satheader or satconv (I don't know if I've got this right) to a European image?

Also if a cue file isn't included in a download, what is the usual format of a Saturn disk? Is it bin file followed by the Audio tracks??

Sorry if I sound like a complete dork - but help (particularly without sarcasm?) would very much appreciated.

Thanks

-= The Ade =-

How to burn an ISO/WAV (or ISO/MP3) Saturn game using CDRECORD (FROM THE CDRTOOLS PACKAGE)

1 - Convert your ISO to the the correct country code.....

SATCONV (the DOS version is what I currently use) - the Saturn Country Code Changer, can convert Saturn ISOs (and BINs) from any country code to any other country code. So you can play (for example...) Japanese games on your U.S.A. Saturn without the need for a converter cartridge or country code switch, however this does NOT get around the need for a mod chip or swap trick to play backup CD-R games.

'SATCONV IMAGENAME.ISO -r'

2 - Listen to the MP3 (or WAV) files

They should sound ok & not have lots of clicks, pops, etc... if they need editing, try AUDACITY, it's a free WAV editor that can handle MP3's (if you get the LAME codec with it).

3 - Prepare your files

Convert all your MP3's to WAV format (I like LAME w/RAZORLAME frontend, but use anything you're confortable with, MP32WAV also works fine) and rename them if you need to (they must be in alphanumerical ISO9660 sort order, so I rename them 01.WAV, 02.WAV, 03.WAV, etc... to avoid any problems with tracks being burned in the wrong order).

If there are multiple ISO files (rare), I name the .ISO tracks; 01.ISO, 02.ISO, etc... so they burn in the proper order....

4 - Get CD-R burner device I.D. (for CDRECORD)

You need to know what the device I.D. of your burner is... use 'CDRECORD -scanbus' to find out what device I.D. your cd-burner/reader uses (mine is 0,1,0), you'll need these numbers for CDRECORD.

5 - Burn the game

As with any CD-Recording application, CDRECORD will work best if you don't have any other programs running while you are burning a CD-R.

Burn the WAV files using CDRECORD, use the #'s you got from scanbus in place of 0,1,0 and you can burn at any speed (not just 4x like in my example below).

'cdrecord -v -dev=0,1,0 -multi -data -nofix -speed=4 *.ISO'

'cdrecord -v -dev=0,1,0 -audio -multi -eject -pad -speed=4 *.WAV'

(note: the tracks must be names in alphanumerical order, because that's how CDRECORD will burn them! Your device, driver, and speed settings will differ...)

6 - Play your backup game!!!

I have a mod chip on my Saturn, but the swap trick also works on both my Saturns (model1 and model2).

How to burn a BIN/CUE Sega Saturn game using CDRDAO

1 - Convert your BIN to the the correct country code.....

SATCONV (the DOS version is what I currently use) - the Saturn Country Code Changer, can convert Saturn ISOs (and BINs) from any country code to any other country code. So you can play (for example...) Japanese games on your U.S.A. Saturn without the need for a converter cartridge or country code switch, however this does NOT get around the need for a mod chip or swap trick to play backup CD-R games.

'SATCONV IMAGENAME.BIN -r'

2 - Make sure your CUE sheet is correct Check the first line of the CUE file (in a text editor like notepad) and remove any directory references (see example below), then save your changes under a new name (just to be safe)....

-----ORIGINAL .CUE-----

FILE "C:\DIRECTORY\IMAGENAME.BIN" BINARY

TRACK 01 MODE1/2352

INDEX 01 00:00:00

TRACK 02 AUDIO

INDEX 00 07:32:21

INDEX 01 07:34:21

------------------------

-------FIXED .CUE-------

FILE "IMAGENAME.BIN" BINARY

TRACK 01 MODE1/2352

INDEX 01 00:00:00

TRACK 02 AUDIO

INDEX 00 07:32:21

INDEX 01 07:34:21

------------------------

3 - Get CD-R burner device I.D. (for CDRDAO)

You need to know what the device I.D. of your burner is... use 'CDRECORD -scanbus' to find out what device I.D. your cd-burner/reader uses (mine is 0,1,0), you'll need these numbers for burning with CDRDAO.

4 - Burning time

As with any CD-Recording application, CDRDAO will work best if you don't have any other programs running while you are burning a CD-R.

Burn the files using CDRDAO, use the #'s you got from scanbus in place of 0,1,0 and you can burn at any speed (not just 4x like in my example below).

'CDRDAO write --device 0,1,0 --speed 4 --eject FIXED.CUE'

(your device and speed settings will differ...)

If it complains about a driver try this... (you might need a specific driver - see the CDRDAO documentation for driver help)

'CDRDAO write --device 0,1,0 --driver generic-mmc --speed 4 --eject FIXED.CUE'

(your device, driver, and speed settings will differ...)

5 - Play your backup game!!!

I have a mod chip on my main Saturn, but the swap trick also works on both my Saturns (model1 and model2).

Back