bin/cue or iso+mp3?

Originally posted by Taelon@July 16 2002,08:28

Yes, MP3 is lossy. No, MP3 is never CD quality. That said, done right, it's still better than even the highest-fidelity tapes and vinyl recordsof yore used to be.

The opinion that CDs are better than vinyl is debatable in itself, let alone mp3s.

It's not a flame war, but when someone makes a claim like "256K MP3 is CD quality" it seems fair enough to me to debate that.

What did I tell you Taelon?
lol.gif

I agree with Taelon. We don't have the original files to compare with, so as long as the mp3s are in acceptable quality (not smaller than 128kbps), it should be fine. And we're getting all these for free, so we shouldn't complain in the first place.
tongue.gif

soujirou: thank you, THANK YOU! At last, a sane voice.

As for claims that I regard CDs better than vinyl: bollocks. These two media use fundamentally different ways of recording audio information.

That said, nobody can disagree that *technically* a CD's representation of audio is orders of magnitude more precise than that of a vinyl or cassette tape. And IMHO, the precision, or fidelity, of MP3 files falls somewhere inbetween analog media and CDs. Of course the final judge is always the human ear, and each pair of human ears has different tastes. So let's leave it at that and enjoy our burned iso/mp3 games already. ;-)

Originally posted by Taelon@July 16 2002,18:47

That said, nobody can disagree that *technically* a CD's representation of audio is orders of magnitude more precise than that of a vinyl or cassette tape. And IMHO, the precision, or fidelity, of MP3 files falls somewhere inbetween analog media and CDs. Of course the final judge is always the human ear, and each pair of human ears has different tastes. So let's leave it at that and enjoy our burned iso/mp3 games already. ;-)

Actually not true.

CD's, being a digital medium are unable to perfectly reproduce a sine wave, or in fact any sort of smooth waveform. The term "44100Hz" describes the number of time the audio is sampled - using only this number of samples, the ability to recreate the sine wave is hampered.

Analogue mediums such as tape and vinal do not have such limitations - their "sample rates" are effectively infinite. Nearly all CD's start life on a professional 1 or 2 inch tape system - sometimes running at speeds of up to 30 inchs-per-second - although this is changing with the times.

That said, the practical quality of home analogue mediums often leaves something to be desired due to the imitations of the technologies (recordings deteriorate with age, etc).

EDIT: sorry for stirring this up again - consider it the last I'll say on the subject
smile.gif

Thanks Curtis, you've proven that no matter what you say, someone always has to have the last word and argue yet another point which is little more than nitpicking...grumble...this is the cancerous sickness of today's American (worldwide?) society... we're encouraged to speak our voices, state our opinions, and in the process discuss everything to death, disseminate, dissect and deconstruct every little issue till nothing is left but confusion, too much information and no definite answers...

Sorry, I went on a rambling here. :)

Now to my counterargument. (Yes, I'm a hypocrite right now.)

Digital representation of audio is still better than analog representation. While it's true that a sine wave gets chopped up by the process of sampling and quantization, today's filtering/smoothing techniques are advanced enough that the original sine wave is 99.9% reproduced. Especially with 16-bit or even 24-bit audio and high sampling frequencies.

Plus, need I mention that music is generally of a complexity that stands in crass contrast to the graceful, elegant simpleness of a sine wave. In which case, btw, digital comes out even more ahead of analog.

What limits analog media are issues such as harmonic distortion and S/N ratio..also the frequency response is never perfectly flat like with CDs. And, for the record (pun intended), practically all new CDs are nowadays fully digitally produced. Only old recording come from analog tapes.

Back to my rambling! Does any of this matter when it comes to Sega game music in mp3 format?

NO!

So there!!! I have the last word and this thread is OVER!
smile.gif

Back