BLACK SCREEN saturn !!

Hey guys ok well,

I have a Saturn, I put a region mod in it and a mod chip and it was working great then I hot glued the wires to the board.

Then I added 50/60hz switch using the VDP chip method.

But then when I try the system it gives only a BLACK screen, like its going to work, but nothing on the screen happens!

When I flip the 50/60hz switch the text on the screen changes size on my PAL tv so that seems to be working.

Ive double checked and double checked all the wires and im sure they are perfect!

The disc spins and the power light is on. It seems to be WORKING, perhaps its at the clock screen because if I bash a load of buttons then the disc stops spinning and can start spinning again if I carry on pressing buttons on the pad.

I searched for threads on here and found like 3 threads with the same problem, but no real solution????

Its strange as it was just working perfectly and now it doesnt!

Ive tried a lot of different stuff such as changing the power supply, changing the CD unit, removing the mod chip, checking all wires, changing regions, hz.

When I try the cable and power cable with another un modded Saturn it works, so my cables and TV are working fine.

what text changes size?

also... the 50/60hz switch you installed. Did you solder it or hot glue as well. I personally have never hot glued, but when I did that style switch mod the first time I had problems getting it to work and had a black screen quite often. It was only because my solder job wasn't perfect... and I'm pretty damn good at soldering. I unsoldered with a suction iron and re-soldered with flux paste and silver bearing solder and put down electrical tape sectioning off the pin from all others during the solder job and kept it there aftward.

It worked great from then on.

So I'd double check it and if your using hot glue I advise using solder.

The text that changes size is just the overlay text from when the TV automatically changes to A/V mode (I live in Europe and im using a SCART cable)

I soldered all of the connections and hot glued the wires, just to keep the wires in place.

It seems the console is working and the 50/60hz mod, but its just a black screen... I think the mods working, I dont know why its doing that however..

yes... the saturn probably is working. But no video is being sent out and like I said before... the same thing happend to me because my solder job wasn't perfecto mucho professionale.

Try desoldering and insulating all the pins around it then soldering back on with a very nice clean solder using some flux resin. And then unstick the wire from the hot glue and give it the shortest path possible to your switch without traveling over any chips, resistors or anything that gives off radiation (so basically only on the board itself). and stick it down like that. Make sure the ground is clean and all that great stuff. Oh and use nice wire... something NOT copper based, and its a good idea to use sometype of threaded wire... not a solid wire. Don't use too thin of wire... but not too thick. Like a little thicker then the blue wire used on the mod chip with better insulation.

As this is something more intensive then little power cables or pulse lines (like in the modchips wiring you need to solder) the job has to be much better. Your soldering directly onto the VDP which is really picky about its quality of signal.

Originally posted by lordofduct@Wed, 2006-01-04 @ 01:54 PM

yes... the saturn probably is working. But no video is being sent out and like I said before... the same thing happend to me because my solder job wasn't perfecto mucho professionale.

Try desoldering and insulating all the pins around it then soldering back on with a very nice clean solder using some flux resin. And then unstick the wire from the hot glue and give it the shortest path possible to your switch without traveling over any chips, resistors or anything that gives off radiation (so basically only on the board itself). and stick it down like that. Make sure the ground is clean and all that great stuff. Oh and use nice wire... something NOT copper based, and its a good idea to use sometype of threaded wire... not a solid wire. Don't use too thin of wire... but not too thick. Like a little thicker then the blue wire used on the mod chip with better insulation.

As this is something more intensive then little power cables or pulse lines (like in the modchips wiring you need to solder) the job has to be much better. Your soldering directly onto the VDP which is really picky about its quality of signal.

[post=143198]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah.. no video

I checked all around the VDP now as the problem must be with it.. I FOUND.. a small blob of solder that must of dropped off the iron, joining together two pins of the VDP!

I removed this.. tried again and nothing.. exactly the same..

Im using single strand Kynar wire, as its just the right size to attach to the leg (the only other wire I have is very large..)

I think that the 50/60hz is working because I can see the change when I flick the switch.. but I just get no picture :(

I did find that small blob of solder joining two of the VDP chip legs, but I looked and looked after it didnt work, and I couldnt find any more rogue blobs.. :damn:

I tried what you suggested RE thicker wire with more strands, and it still didnt work

In fact, when I took the wire off then, the chip leg broke off

RIP my Sega Saturn :(

Originally posted by chaoticjelly@Wed, 2006-01-04 @ 12:45 PM

RIP my Sega Saturn :(

[post=143203]Quoted post[/post]​

A nice funeral for your saturn is nice but you can always salvage some parts to revive it and make it work again like changing the mobo. I think the PSU and the optic lens might still be working :blink: :huh:

Yeah chances are all your parts are good minus the motherboard which has the VDP chip on it.

I have a Model2 Saturn motherboard, it came with the 32pin CD board and was manufactured in Septmeber I believe. If your interested I could sell it to you for a fairly cheap price. Of course you may just want to buy a whole new Saturn as you can sometimes get a pretty good deal on ebay.

Back