Blue Laser drives comming out VERY soon

Since i cant really understand that article, let me see if i get what it's saying.

This is not a dvd writer, but it is a new kind of cd writer than can write up to 23 gigs using a royal purple laser?

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Sep 12, 2004 @ 08:17 PM

Since i cant really understand that article, let me see if i get what it's saying.

This is not a dvd writer, but it is a new kind of cd writer than can write up to 23 gigs using a royal purple laser?

Purple?!? :smash

Ahem, anyway it's (and by it's, I mean Blu-ray) basically a way to make everyone with money throw away their DVD players and give Sony all their money... again... they've got 23GB discs and even higher capacity 50GB ones on the way. The idea is that standard digital tv doesn't need the space, but HDTV is very high res and would chew through a DVD's storage capacity in roughly 40 mins. I personally think they just need to use better compression technologies, but that's not where they're headed with this.

Look... just read the brochure: Blu-Ray and You: How we're going to rob your ass, again.

Originally posted by Blu-ray propaganda

Despite the different type of lasers used, Blu-ray Disc recorders can be made backwards compatible with current red-laser technologies and allow playback of CDs and DVDs.

Can be made compatible?

How generous. :sarcasm:

I think Blu Ray will be a good replacement for DVD as a Data Storage medium.. As for video yes Im sure it will look better than DVD but who can afford this kind of stuff??

I dont even have a TV in my house that supports progressive Scan yet thus I am not even realizing the full video quality of DVD as Im sure alot of other people are in the same boat.

Secondly alot of people went out and purchased all the movies that they had on vhs in DVD format, I wonder if they will try to yet again get these people to buy them on blu ray disks? :lol:

Originally posted by RitualOfTheTrout+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RitualOfTheTrout)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think Blu Ray will be a good replacement for DVD as a Data Storage medium.. As for video yes Im sure it will look better than DVD but who can afford this kind of stuff??[/b]
People with money. They want money, some people will give it to them. I think it's just too damn early to be replacing DVD movies. Plus they're combining brand new technology with outdated video streams, and (if successful) it will eventually force you to replace all your DVD players.

Originally posted by RitualOfTheTrout@

I dont even have a TV in my house that supports progressive Scan yet thus I am not even realizing the full video quality of DVD as Im sure alot of other people are in the same boat.
Sure. But TVs are coming down in price, and HDTVs support 1080i, which DVDs (most/all?) are not taking advantage of. I think I prefer progressive anyway, so I'm perfectly happy with 720p and would welcome 1080p in the future. Thing is, some DVDs are actually 720i. :( Now THAT kind of bugs me. Interlaced should have died at 720.

<!--QuoteBegin-RitualOfTheTrout

Secondly alot of people went out and purchased all the movies that they had on vhs in DVD format, I wonder if they will try to yet again get these people to buy them on blu ray disks?[/quote]Probably. I generally would not.

So let me make sure I understand this. Almost all DVDs are in the 720p format but if you do not have a TV capable of this display you still only see 720i? In any event I agree that at this point nothing should be recorded interlaced.

I already see some high end TVs that support 1080p but my question is aside from the rare HDTV broadcast what actually takes advantage of this high quality resolution? Secondly at this time it would be best to wait and get Tvs that support the 1080p.

As for them using the outdated video streams I also think they should work on better streams with better compression. Although even if they did this we would still need to replace our existing DVD players. Personally, the replacement for DVD should incorporate both a new video codec along with the new storage medium.

Can a movie that was filmed say 20 years ago even be made to take advantage of these new high resolutions? I mean if what was used to film it was of lower quality then it can only be enhanced so much right?

You can only get so much quality out of a standard TV, yes. There are technologies and connection types that work to get the most out of new and old TVs, but you just can't get a progressive picture on an interlaced-only TV. The DVD player is responsible for having interlaced output, and if you set your DVD player/Xbox/whatever to send progressive output, your display will go nuts. I know, I wanted to see what it would do if I set my Xbox dash to progressive. I'm sure some high high end TVs can do 1080p, but my point was that a TV has to have 1080i to be declared an HDTV, but it doesn't even have to support 720p! So you can have an HDTV (and this is quite common) that only does 480p and 480, 720 and 1080 interlaced. Edit: If you were actually referring to a TV like I just mentioned, I suppose a device could convert the image to 1080i, but I don't know how common that is with a typical player. They probably just output in 720i, but I'm not sure.

Also, I have seen TVs that don't seem to do a very good job of handling interlaced output in certain/all resolutions, so interlaced output looks like SHIT on them. My friend's HDTV makes all his Xbox games look like crap when he uses the standard cable, but with component it looks absolutely beautiful, more detail and color than my standard TV even though I have the same connection type. He was actually playing Ninja Gaiden with the regular cables until I dragged him to Best Buy. The friggin screen would blur when you moved around fast.

As for newer compression, yes you'd still need a new player even if you still used DVDs. But the optical hardware could all be the same, players could be made pretty cheaply. Also you could play them on PCs with standard DVD drives, and burn your own videos with existing drives. But if they're gonna move to a new disc, they should still use better compression regardless. The only compromise is the possible inclusion of new HDTV resolution WMV, which if is made mandatory for standalone players, you could burn a fair amount of HD content on a regular DVD. I'd just prefer they use better technology, although HD WMV isn't as bad as some will make it out to be. OMG teh M$ we r LOSE!!117

Finally, yeah you can only make old film look so much better through remastering (until they perfect time travel and cloaking fields).

Keep in mind that your average 35mm widescreen movie has an effective resolution of like 4000x3000 (yes yes I know this isn't widescreen but that's where the anamorphic projectors come in). So anything really that wasn't taped at NTSC resolution would look better. The bigger question is would you be able to see the difference on a 25-40 inch tv anyway.

Blu-Ray gets VC-9 too

Oh, looks like I missed this! I knew that HD-DVD (a competitor to Sony's blu-ray, they also use blue lasers) had support for MS VC-9 (now called VC-1 :rolleyes:), but looks like Blu-Ray has been pressured into including VC-9 playback as mandatory for their players. So that's good at least.

Originally posted by it290@Sep 24, 2004 @ 12:17 AM

Great - just what we want, Microsoft controlling the codec used in video disks... ;P

It still supports MPEG-2 and probably one of the standard forms of MPEG-4. Besides, for consumers VC-9/1 is free and easy to work with. They can integrate it with all kinds of tools to make mastering a HD disc easy, and this way you can probably get a decent amount of HD video even on standard DVD-/+R (since the blue laser drives should still be able to read DVDs).

Edit: Obviously I'd rather have Divx support, but this isn't a horrible alternative. Could have been something licensed from Real. :p

Back